Have an opportunity to make a trade from a Springfield 1903-A3 but don't know rifles

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    UPDATED: Was able to make the trade for a Springfield 1903-A3

I've advertised a camera that I've had for 30+ years but haven't used or displayed it in years.

Had someone offer a Springfield 1903-A3 for an even trade, but I don't have any clue what to look for when I see it in person, to make sure I'm not looking at something I should stay away from.

The attached pics are all the info I currently have, trying to get more/better pics and more details on the rifle.
    The one he's looking to trade is the lower one in the first pic.

Hoping for suggestions on what to look at once I see it in person.
    The value of the camera & accessories is around $550-600.

I have tried to do some searching the forums, which has helped somewhat, but was hoping to hear from people with personal knowledge on what is good or bad when checking it out in person.

Thanks!
    Brian

Attachments

• 1903a3_1.jpg
      1903a3_1.jpg
      76.5 KB · Views: 710
    • 1903a3_2.jpg
      1903a3_2.jpg
      61.5 KB · Views: 707
    • 1903a3_3.jpg
      1903a3_3.jpg
      60.6 KB · Views: 745
    Last edited:

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I would ask for more pictures. Given the barrel looks bright its appears to have been rebarreled which means it could be a drill rifle someone has reactivated. Ask for pictures of the safety and cut of as well as ask about the barrel its self.

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Hoping for suggestions on what to look at once I see it in person.
    The value of the camera & accessories is around $550-600 on the top end and I was looking to sell around $400-450.

There would have to be a serious problem for that to be worth less than $400.

The restored drill rifles should be decent shooters, and are worth more than that. Just not collectible. I think they all have either new replacement stocks or NOS "scant" stocks. This one has what looks like an original "S" stock. If the cartouches are intact, the stock not seriously sanded, that's a very good thing. The former drill rifles also have cerocoated receivers, usually a gray color. That's because the spots where the old welds are ground off won't take the parkerizing evenly.

03-A3s were made by Remington and Smith Corona, most by Remington. Smith Corona is a bit of a plus. A USGI barrel will be marked on top behind the front sight, perhaps "R 6 43" meaning "Remington June 1943" or "SC 4 43" for a Smith Corona. Dates vary, of course. Reactivated drill rifles will have new barrels, usually Criterion, I think. That's a good barrel.

Many Remington 03-A3s have two groove barrels. Supposedly they shoot just as well as the four groove barrels, but I think they're worth a little less. Some Smith Coronas have six groove barrels. They might command a small premium.

The manufacturer will be marked on the receiver, perhaps "US Remington Model 03-A3". The more "R" marked parts on a Remington, the better if you're a collector, likewise "SC" marked parts on a Smith Corona. It is normal for USGI rifles to have mixed parts, however, and that doesn't effect shootability. Many or most parts aren't marked, and the manufacturer has to be determined by subtle differences.

TO REMOVE THE BOLT: on the left side above the trigger is the magazine disconnect, a paddle-shaped flipper switch marked "ON" and "OFF". The down position is "OFF", up is "ON". Set the switch half way between up and down, so it sticks out sideways. That allows the bolt to come out when you open it. (Set the safety switch on the bolt to stick straight up, allowing you to unscrew the striker assembly if you want to inspect the firing pin, or clean and lube it.) Removing the bolt allows you to get a good look at the bore. Hopefully it's bright and shiny, with lots of sharp lands and grooves. But two grooves are just fine if they're sharp and unpitted.

When the magazine disconnect is switched "OFF", the bolt can't come back far enough to pick up a cartridge from the magazine. This is handy for single-shot shooting, and for parade-ground foolishness.
    "ON" lets the bolt come back about 1/4" further, allowing the magazine follower to block forward movement. That alerts the soldier that he needs to reload. You'll need to stick a finger in there to push the follower down enough to close the bolt.

IMG_0963.jpg
    (Smith Corona 6 groove w/pinned stock)

Even if the barrel is trash, that rifle is probably worth $400. With a decent barrel, it's probably worth at least $600, maybe a lot more. That barrel does look oddly shiny: at first I though it was a stainless target barrel. I'm not sure, maybe it is stainless. It also seems to have an odd stepdown in front of the sight band. Basically, the photos SUCK.

I think I'd jump on that for $400 though, especially if the stock has visible cartouches.

(On the other hand, long ago I picked up an 03-A3 at a gun show which turned out to have been rechambered to .308 Norma Magnum, thank you Bubba. I paid $100 to have it rebarreled and get a new bolt body. So caveat emptor.)

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Definitely appreciate the suggestions.

I wondered about the shiny barrel myself and will ask more questions and hopefully get better pics before I get a chance to see it in person.
    It looked as reasonably decent condition but after doing some of the suggested reading, want to find out exactly what it is, whether a mix of different parts or a reactivated drill rifle.

The funny part is that I initially wasn't interested in his offer but have gotten more interested the more I've checked information.
    I don't have a way to find out but my dad, who has been gone ten years, may have used one of these in WW2. He worked on a M12 self propelled 155mm gun, so he might not have needed a Garand.

When I get more info & pictures, I'll post and see what people think.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If it shoots, I'd make the trade :)
    Does it come with that leather sling?
    Threeband, what's that sling worth? $15-$20?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    If you were only looking to get $450 for the camera, a properly restored drill rifle would still be worth it. Hopefully, it's a stainless match barrel of some sort.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    My warning was merely because if its a rush job or just thrown together I would have my concerns. Esp since 03 barrels are short throated.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Checking to see if that one was a drill rifle should be easy- the receiver has not been refinished. If there is weld on the mag cutoff (the flippy thing that says "on" or "off") it's a drill rifle.

If there is a spot off weld on the bottom of the receiver where it meets the barrel it's a drill rifle.

I would tend to not think that was a drill rifle but I have seen one bought by another member that only had a small weld spot under the receiver and nothing on the cutoff so it pays to check.

The end of that barrel is awfully silver looking though...and there is a strange step down after the front sight. Anyone else see that as odd?

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Checking to see if that one was a drill rifle should be easy- the receiver has not been refinished. If there is weld on the mag cutoff (the flippy thing that says "on" or "off") it's a drill rifle.

If there is a spot off weld on the bottom of the receiver where it meets the barrel it's a drill rifle.

I would tend to not think that was a drill rifle but I have seen one bought by another member that only had a small weld spot under the receiver and nothing on the cutoff so it pays to check.

The end of that barrel is awfully silver looking though...and there is a strange step down after the front sight. Anyone else see that as odd?
    With the pictures provided you listed every thing I see but I've become cynical and worry that pics were taken that way for a reason.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

... That barrel does look oddly shiny: at first I though it was a stainless target barrel. I'm not sure, maybe it is stainless. It also seems to have an odd stepdown in front of the sight band. Basically, the photos SUCK.

Great minds...

I said there would have to be something terribly wrong for it to be worth less than $400. Maybe a cracked and sanded stock, severe mold and rust on the entire left side, a rusted barrel rechambered to .308 Norma Magnum (like the one I bought once)...

Even demonic possession or a Gypsy curse.

Or it could be an $800 or $900 rifle. A stainless match barrel could be a big plus if that's what you want.

Or perhaps the photos suck for a reason.

"Life is a caberet, old chum..."

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Maybe I asked too many questions, haven't heard back to get more details/pictures and a time to meet up.
    Still hoping to get a chance to find out more about this rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Heard back from the seller:
    So it's a Remington model, the action and stock are matching, the barrel is new old stock, it is an ordnance corp barrel from 1944, but it's uncoated (I haven't had it coated). It shots great, and it comes with the leather shooting sling need to shoot competition from ww1.

When I get more details/pics, I'll share.
    As long as the barrel being okay, I think I'm going to make the swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The barrels were parkerized at the factory. Unit level armorers only had to torque them on, ream to headspace, and install the front sight.

Still, I think it's worth it even if it's a stainless or in the white aftermarket barrel.

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Finally got a couple more pics and the barrel is an RA dated 8/44
    Going to see it tomorrow and hopefully make the deal.

Wish me luck!!
    When/if I get it, I'll take and post better pictures.

Attachments

• image.JPG
      image.JPG
      33.4 KB · Views: 288
    • image2.JPG
      image2.JPG
      41.5 KB · Views: 352

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Well, I made the deal!!!
    He told me that he had to re-barrel it to do shooting competitions, which is why he also had the leather strap, which he says is original.

Here are some pics that I took, let me know what you think.

Attachments

• DSC_9287.jpg
      DSC_9287.jpg
      42.1 KB · Views: 328
    • DSC_9288.jpg
      DSC_9288.jpg
      58.8 KB · Views: 328
    • DSC_9289.jpg
      DSC_9289.jpg
      54.9 KB · Views: 341
    • DSC_9290.jpg
      DSC_9290.jpg