Why is there no bow hunting during fire arms and Blackpowder?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Is the orange requirement both a vest and a hat? I was in pa a couple weeks ago for the file season and they have both vest and hat

In MD regulations it is written as:

Whenever hunting, both hunters and companions must wear either:

* A cap of solid fluorescent orange color (worn as an outer garment on the head at all times);
    * A vest or jacket containing back and front panels of at least 250 square inches of solid fluorescent orange color (worn as outer garment at all times); or
    * An outer garment of camouflage fluorescent orange worn above the waist which contains at least 50% fluorescent orange color.

I read it as just an orange cap is OK.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I asked a similar question about Loch Raven bowhunting during firearm/muzzleloader seasons. I would assume the answer would be the same. here is the DNR response I got.

Thank you for contacting the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Archery hunting is allowed in Loch Raven Reservoir during the shotgun and muzzleloader seasons. Your full season hunting license already covers you during the shotgun season. You would have to purchase the muzzleloader stamp to hunt during the muzzleloader season.

Even though you are hunting with a bow anything you harvest during the firearms seasons will count towards that season's bag limit. You also must remember to wear hunter orange during those seasons

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Question for the people in the know: Do you think wearing orange in any way impacts your ability to hunt deer effectively?

If so, is it just that the orange vest/hat is to be solid, so your outline isn't quite as broken up?

I've hunted with a bow, muzzleloader, and shotgun. I've had deer see me on the ground and up in my stand plenty of times, but I've never had any reason to believe it was because of camo, lack of camo, or wearing orange. I've had deer stare right at me for minutes at a time while I'm wearing orange, only too look down to take their (final) bite of grass.

Don't get me wrong, I pretty much always wear camo when hunting because I have a set of clothes/jackets dedicated to hunting and they might as well be camo...but I really don't think it makes a difference. The second deer I killed while wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

OK...what do you guys think?

I've killed deer with a rifle and a shotgun at 20 yards wearing blaze orange coveralls and a blaze orange hat. I have had them hang out underneath the tree I was in for several minutes before I decided to take the shot. Longest would probably be 15 minutes as I waited for them to move off a little before I tried to get the gun up and shouldered. Done it both on the ground and in tree stands. When I am out in the woods with a bunch of other people, especially people I do not know very well, I would prefer to come home unscathed and without venison, than run the risk of ending up 6 feet under.

One morning I killed 8 does dressed from head to toe in blaze orange.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've killed deer with a rifle and a shotgun at 20 yards wearing blaze orange coveralls and a blaze orange hat. I have had them hang out underneath the tree I was in for several minutes before I decided to take the shot. Longest would probably be 15 minutes as I waited for them to move off a little before I tried to get the gun up and shouldered. Done it both on the ground and in tree stands. When I am out in the woods with a bunch of other people, especially people I do not know very well, I would prefer to come home unscathed and without venison, than run the risk of ending up 6 feet under.

One morning I killed 8 does dressed from head to toe in blaze orange.

Who puts blaze orange suits on deer?:D

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    [/B]

Who puts blaze orange suits on deer?:D

You missed a bad reference in the first paragraph too. lol

*One morning I killed 8 does dressed from head to toe in blaze orange.*

One morning, when I was wearing blaze orange from head to toe, I killed 8 deer before 10:00 am.

Hope I can get PBJ from the grammar police now that I have shown my new ways.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    This is the deer that I killed at 70 yards while I was wearing orange from head to toe. Only thing missing in the pic is the orange face mask and the orange gloves. Probably had a camo mechanix wear glove on my right hand though with a hand warmer in my pocket. Need to be able to feel the trigger just a little bit.

Saw this buck the night before out in the fields. The following morning, my dad drove me up to the top of the mountain in the F150 about 30 minutes before legal shooting time and I got into my treestand (a climber). A little over an hour later, this buck came walking across the middle of the field just down below me. He was headed to a brush pile in the middle of the field. He stopped, I squeezed the trigger, and the 150 gr. moly coated Barnes X Bullet from the .300 Win Mag dropped him where he stood.

After I killed this buck, I let him lay out in the field for a little bit. During that time, I had a spiked buck come right under my tree just as I was getting ready to get out of the tree. The gun was unloaded, so I let him pass. Thing is, one of the other guys I was hunting with did not. I was hunting on the edge of a group of trees about 40 yards by 40 yards and I was overlooking a huge cut cornfield with a huge grass field above me.

Attachments

• MdShooters10.jpg
      MdShooters10.jpg
      80.2 KB · Views: 94

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Is the orange requirement both a vest and a hat? I was in pa a couple weeks ago for the file season and they have both vest and hat

That's a Pennsylvania rule. We used to go small game hunting, specifically rabbit hunting, and would wear that out in the field. One time one of our dogs took off as soon as we were getting our gear on. Well my uncle went after him and forgot his hat but had his vest on. Low and behold a game warden was in the area and saw this and he got fined. Honest mistake, but he got dinged for it.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I frequently bowhunt during firearms and ML seasons.. I have stamps for both and wear a solid orange hat while hunting those seasons, regardless of my weapon of choice. As mentioned, you need to be sure you properly check your deer, according to the regulations, which are confusing at times and change frequently from season to season... LOL

You also have to be a little careful, as bowkills in gun seasons normally count as gun kills, so... dont' kill too many bucks!

City Rat

Aug 12, 2015
    MD
    Regarding the question of whether a deer sees you in blaze orange, lots of info out there on this question. The short answer is they can't see oranges and reds because of the way their eyes are constructed. They see oranges and reds as grey. So if you are dressed head to toe in blaze orange, the color won't get you busted by the deer, movement and scent will. The deer will look to the movement and scent and so it will bust the stinky grey blob fidgeting around in the tree. BTW they can see blues and greens real well though.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    And for those who don't know this, deer have monocular vision as opposed to humans which have binocular vision.

Also, the human eye can stabilize and focus on items in the distance while walking. A deer cannot do this.

When a deer walks, everything the deer sees is bouncing up and down and all around. That's why they go dead still and stare right at you, with both eyes, when they sense trouble. It gives their eyes a way of locking onto the trouble.

The best time make any movements is while the deer are walking. When they stop, you stop. When they move, you move. You'll never get busted swing a weapon into place if you follow this simple rule.

I once stalked a walking doe to within twelve yards in the woods. Then killed it with a crossbow shot through the lungs. She kept quartering towards me, with one eye bobbing, and I slowly closed the distance until a broadside shot presented itself.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You missed a bad reference in the first paragraph too. lol

*One morning I killed 8 does dressed from head to toe in blaze orange.*

One morning, when I was wearing blaze orange from head to toe, I killed 8 deer before 10:00 am.

Hope I can get PBJ from the grammar police now that I have shown my new ways.

Nah, didn't miss it. Just didn't want to do any serious ball busting.:D

This is the deer that I killed at 70 yards while I was wearing orange from head to toe. Only thing missing in the pic is the orange face mask and the orange gloves. Probably had a camo mechanix wear glove on my right hand though with a hand warmer in my pocket. Need to be able to feel the trigger just a little bit.

Saw this buck the night before out in the fields. The following morning, my dad drove me up to the top of the mountain in the F150 about 30 minutes before legal shooting time and I got into my treestand (a climber). A little over an hour later, this buck came walking across the middle of the field just down below me. He was headed to a brush pile in the middle of the field. He stopped, I squeezed the trigger, and the 150 gr. moly coated Barnes X Bullet from the .300 Win Mag dropped him where he stood.

After I killed this buck, I let him lay out in the field for a little bit. During that time, I had a spiked buck come right under my tree just as I was getting ready to get out of the tree. The gun was unloaded, so I let him pass. Thing is, one of the other guys I was hunting with did not. I was hunting on the edge of a group of trees about 40 yards by 40 yards and I was overlooking a huge cut cornfield with a huge grass field above me.

I remember seeing that pic in here before. It took me back to the late seventies when every 'real deer hunter' was wearing those 'pumpkin suits'(including moi). The thing people don't realize about those is, they actually showed less movement that someone wearing an orange vest over cammo clothing. Think of it, solid orange, or any other solid color for that matter, is neutral to a deer's vision. Now, think of a cammoed arm sweeping across a blaze orange vest, as in the process of raising a rifle up to shoot. It's like waving a dark flag across a lit skyline.

That's why I only wear an orange hat. I don't hunt public land. If I did(hunt public land), I might consider wearing lots and lots of orange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom