• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The MAS 49, while successful, had a limited production run of approx. 20,000 units before being replaced by the MAS 49/56 which had a much longer run with over 200,000 examples produced.
    Century imported only approx. 250 French MAS 49s in the late 80s. Of these about a dozen were reported to be examples that had their GL removed when arsenal rebuilt. This was done as the MAS 49 GL couldn't support the newer 22mm NATO std grenade that was used on the MAS 49/56. These rifles got new fore stock furniture and a front band that had the hole for the GL adj. wheel welded shut.
    So finding one is a challenge. In fact it's easier to round up a MAS 44 as nearly 3,000 of these were imported into the US. I'm lucky enough to have one of these in my collection. Took some photos of the rare transport cover as well, showing how it works with and without the APX 806 scope.

Attachments

• IMGP7749.JPG
      IMGP7749.JPG
      32.7 KB · Views: 558
    • IMGP7755.JPG
      IMGP7755.JPG
      27.4 KB · Views: 511
    • IMGP7752.JPG
      IMGP7752.JPG
      55.2 KB · Views: 520
    • IMGP7754.JPG
      IMGP7754.JPG
      38.5 KB · Views: 550
    • IMGP7762.JPG
      IMGP7762.JPG
      33.6 KB · Views: 539
    • IMGP7766.JPG
      IMGP7766.JPG
      67.3 KB · Views: 535
    • IMGP7763.JPG
      IMGP7763.JPG
      37.4 KB · Views: 529
    • IMGP7764.JPG
      IMGP7764.JPG
      52.6 KB · Views: 514
    • IMGP7765.JPG
      IMGP7765.JPG
      29.2 KB · Views: 527
    • IMGP7767.JPG
      IMGP7767.JPG
      96.5 KB · Views: 528

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Some additional photos of the APX 806 scope and transit case with tool.

Attachments

• IMGP7756.JPG
      IMGP7756.JPG
      43.8 KB · Views: 506
    • IMGP7758.JPG
      IMGP7758.JPG
      53.1 KB · Views: 504
    • IMGP7759.JPG
      IMGP7759.JPG
      45 KB · Views: 510
    • IMGP7760.JPG
      IMGP7760.JPG
      45 KB · Views: 491
    • IMGP7761.JPG
      IMGP7761.JPG
      41.3 KB · Views: 508

treadhead88

Panzerfahrer
    Jun 20, 2009
    Cecil Co.
    Very, very nice!!

I have one, although not as nice as yours and no scope or mount.
    I also have a MAS 36 and a 36/51.

I notice yours has no bayonet, is there a reason for that, did they make some without for a specific reason? Just wondering.

Attachments

• French MAS 49.JPG
      French MAS 49.JPG
      30.9 KB · Views: 481

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Very, very nice!!

I have one, although not as nice as yours and no scope or mount.
    I also have a MAS 36 and a 36/51.

I notice yours has no bayonet, is there a reason for that, did they make some without for a specific reason? Just wondering.

The French MAS 49 didn't have support for a bayonet like the MAS 44, Syrian MAS 49 (the version you have) and the MAS 49/56. It's probably the only French rifle that I can think of that didn't support one. Heck, even the short FAMAS bullpup uses the same bayonet as the MAS 49/56.

treadhead88

Panzerfahrer
    Jun 20, 2009
    Cecil Co.
    The French MAS 49 didn't have support for a bayonet like the MAS 44, Syrian MAS 49 (the version you have) and the MAS 49/56. It's probably the only French rifle that I can think of that didn't support one. Heck, even the short FAMAS bullpup uses the same bayonet as the MAS 49/56.

Interesting.

Thanks for the facts, appreciate it.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    You so SUCK!!

Man ... you keep on finding the spectacular stuff, don't you? Is that an early Christmas present from the pups?

Yes I do! This is one that I've had for over a decade now. Has been buried deep in the big safe. Had it out this weekend while digging out a couple of Jungle Enfields. So I thought I'd snap some pics of it along with the MAS 49/56 next to it and some of the accessories for them.

Funny story how I got this one. Found it on GB with a starting price of 1 cent and a BIN of $250. While admittedly a while ago this was still a steal. And someone bid up to $240, just $10 short of the BIN. I'm looking at this and thinking to myself "WTF?". My Momma didn't raise no dummy and I snapped at the BIN button. It got even better when it arrived with a sealed arsenal spares kit with sling, oil bottle, extractor, FP, manual, etc. that the seller hadn't listed (God Bless him for throwing this in!). Still can't figure out what the first bidder was thinking that had him stop only a ten spot short.

The pups are working on a couple of goodies for me as a Christmas gift. We'll see if they can pull it off without emptying my bank account in the process!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Funny story how I got this one. Found it on GB with a starting price of 1 cent and a BIN of $250. While admittedly a while ago this was still a steal. And someone bid up to $240, just $10 short of the BIN. I'm looking at this and thinking to myself "WTF?". My Momma didn't raise no dummy and I snapped at the BIN button.

Isn't it amazing when that happens? I've had the same stroke of good fortune 2-3 times on GB. Each time I've wondered, "You idiot! Why didn't you spring for the extra $10-20 and grab a gun that's already a huge bargain, rather than nickle and dime-ing yourself out of a great buy?"

In any case, it's good for us that they did.

That one stands out, even in your collection!

P.S. - I've finally gone over to The Dark Side. Purchased my first modern "assault weapon" ... a Colt AR-15 carbine. Life in an authentic free state is good! My grandfather is, I'm sure, rolling over in his SOMD grave at what the place has turned into. He had an idea things would head this way, even in the 1960s.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Nice looking scope mounted Mas49.

I'm on the lookout for a Mas sniper scope, for my Mas 49/56, rechambered in 308. At the moment...I have a HI-LUX mounted red dot reflex on it.

I did have a slam fire problem with my 49/56, while single loading rounds with soft commercial primers --- But with the purchase of the $80 titanium firing pin, has seemed to rectify the slam fire problem with my Mas.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Isn't it amazing when that happens? I've had the same stroke of good fortune 2-3 times on GB. Each time I've wondered, "You idiot! Why didn't you spring for the extra $10-20 and grab a gun that's already a huge bargain, rather than nickle and dime-ing yourself out of a great buy?"

In any case, it's good for us that they did.

That one stands out, even in your collection!

P.S. - I've finally gone over to The Dark Side. Purchased my first modern "assault weapon" ... a Colt AR-15 carbine. Life in an authentic free state is good! My grandfather is, I'm sure, rolling over in his SOMD grave at what the place has turned into. He had an idea things would head this way, even in the 1960s.

My first modern long arm was a used Colt SP-1 with Hakko Colt marked 3x scope. It was a trade-in at the local PA gun shop and the owner let it go for $300. This was around 1980 when a new SP-1 sold for $350 (my brother bought one new, that's how I remember). Sad how ugly things have gotten in this state in the 30 years that I've been living here.
    BTW, my sister sent me an email with the following...
    We are advised not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics!
    Pretty much says it all about the times we live in.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Was reading my copy of Jean Huon's Proud Promise, which is the bible for French autoloaders, and he stated that the MAS 49 was THE rifle for snipers and grenadiers. Might be another reason why a bayonet wasn't part of the design.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    It looks alot like a safe queen, is it not?

Oh hell yes! I have a MAS 49 that I got from an auction back in 2008 which was in horrible condition. Broken stock and fore stock, missing front band. More of a barreled action. Traded a buddy in France some Garand parts and reloading dies for MAS 49 furniture and was able to restore it to shooting condition. That rifle and my "export" Syrian MAS 49 are my two shooters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom