• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Thanks all, lots of good info. I'll look through things here again more thoroughly and see what I'm going to do. I hadn't seen the the Lyman product but am familiar with aperture sights so that peep aperture product was familiar. I think I'm leaning, on first read, to having a set of polycarbonate glasses made with front sight focus.

shiloh228

Dec 25, 2012
    Ballmer County
    RANGE REPORT/REVIEW ON THESE:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IY8S2U/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a pair of these. Before I did, I went to Walmart and went to their rack of "readers" to find the right strength needed to focus on the distance to the front sight (for me that was 1.75). Ordered a pair from Amazon, and took them to the range recently.

Good quality safety glasses...clear, and no distortion. The "prescription" lenses pop into a small hole in the top of the frame. And you can order just these inserts in case your eyes change, or if you want to try another strength. They attach and detach easily. And they don't look as dorky as you might think.

With these, my sight alignment/sight picture was vastly improved. Sharp focus on front sight, target blurred enough not to be a distraction.

A note on that last point: I have better than 20/20 in my dominant (right) eye, but need readers to see close (result of aging eyes and new lens from cataract surgery) so without these, the target was always in sharp focus, and the front sight was always blurred. I was also "peeking" at the target after the shot to see where the shots hit. Not a formula for success, as I proved to myself (poor grouping and off-target).

Now, I can concentrate on keeping focused on the front sight and letting it return from recoil and shooting from reset.

I can report significantly better groupings/accuracy...not good enough, so more range visits will be necessary. :D

I would highly recommend these if you are a bifocal/trifocal wearer, or are having difficulty staying focused on the front sight.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Unfortunately my eyes are significantly different. Left is nearly 20/20 at distance but pretty fuzzy up close. Right is 20/40something (-1.25) at distance but pretty good from 3 feet to about 15 inches, so its better for handgun sights. With my right eye I can easily focus on the front sight without putting the rear sight too far out of focus; doing the same with my left eye makes the rear sight too fuzzy to use.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    We had a thread about this a couple years ago and a lot of folks chimed in with good suggestions and local docs.

Long story short: I had my eye doc set my trifocals up with what Zeiss calls their "Computer Grind". This grind technique uses the center of the glass at just beyond arms length for business/desk computer users, which also works perfectly for handgun sights. There is a narrow area at the top for distance, the larger mid-range center, then another relatively narrow band at the bottom for up close.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=5100&highlight=glasses
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=92849&highlight=glasses

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Call Neal Stepp, he is a known shooter and Annie dealer and he will help you out.
    817-595-2090
    He told me to measure the distance from my eye to the site and prescription is distance + 1/2 diopter(positive). Try it with your optometrist to see if it works. This was for open sites on a rifle.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Great discussion. Most if not all of us will have this problem someday.

When a buddy had this issue, he got the laser eye surgery, then switched his rifle sights to a forward mount with a red dot. He now uses bright fiber optic sights on his pistols.

How do fiber and reddot sights work for you?

Have you tried a forward mounted optic?

m4multiinst.jpg

Check out this new sight system: http://kitup.military.com/2014/01/r4e-unveils-new-pistol-sights.html

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I continued reading this thread, including the links to other threads. Mentioned in those is something I knew, but am embarrassed to say that I forgot. I sold an unusual stereomicrosope* ( both eyes have a dedicated optical path). One pathway was optimized for highest resolution, in microscopy, since these are diffraction limited lenses, that mean highest aperture, which also means very shallow focus depth (depth of field). The other optical path is optimized for greatest depth of field, but has correspondingly low resolution. A French research team and Leica (whose microscopes I sold) coauthored a paper on visual perception which, in short, found the following.

If each of your eyes is presented with the same visual field, which is the usual case, one eye can see an image which has an entirely different plane of focus from the other, both in terms of its depth and distance, and your brain will seamlessly merge the two. This is something that is actually hard wired into our visual system apparently. So, the suggestion about optimizing the dominant eye for sight picture and allowing the other eye to see at distance really makes sense to me. I'm going to try this. I'll try to remember to post a follow up after I get it done and have a chance to try it out a couple times. Thanks again all for a very helpful discussion.

* this is the microscope I mentioned. They called the patented optical design "FusionOptics".

http://www.leica-microsystems.com/p...earch-automated/details/product/leica-m205-a/

More info on FusionOptics
    http://www.leica-microsystems.com/science-lab/how-sharp-images-are-formed/

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Guns magazine had an article last month I think on TacticalRx. They are glasses made for shooters specifically. You get a prescription from an optometrist and they will make the glasses for you. I have not tried them yet but giving it serious consideration as many of us more "mature" shooters have the same vision issues.

http://tacticalrx.com/

Look at the "Amost Lens" on the web site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom