• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    The wife was out all day shopping so I decided to kill some time and make the rounds at the local LGS/pawn shops, thinking that with all the recent surge in modern/home defense guns sales that some C&R gems may slip under the radar. Seems that was the case, as at my second stop I spotted a few lonely C&R consignment pieces on an otherwise empty shelf.

I was drawn to the only WWII pistol in the group, a nice early high polish (“variation 1” to collectors) Sauer 38H priced at $450. I immediately noticed the eagle/c marking on the trigger guard, denoting WWII German police service. I was already sold on it at that price, but got a nice surprise when I asked to see it and discovered it also had a matching numbered mag! Not all police guns had their mags numbered so this was a nice bonus as they aren’t all that common. This would have been the spare mag issued with the pistol as it has a “2” under the serial number. Also noticed the checkered mag release which is relatively scarce on these as well. Just for kicks I asked it the owner was open to offers, and said I’d be a buyer at $400. Shop called the owner, who accepted. It’s always refreshing to know that there are still good finds to be had out there in the wild if you do some hunting!

Attachments

• A32AD5F1-CA1D-44F8-990B-CF3FB7F29AEC.jpg
      A32AD5F1-CA1D-44F8-990B-CF3FB7F29AEC.jpg
      53.5 KB · Views: 373
    • C2679305-0F02-4D35-9930-EF019AD9F138.jpg
      C2679305-0F02-4D35-9930-EF019AD9F138.jpg
      79.1 KB · Views: 370
    • 6E56DFA9-D16F-4D4B-87E4-DA7E9B2352E2.jpg
      6E56DFA9-D16F-4D4B-87E4-DA7E9B2352E2.jpg
      78.6 KB · Views: 368
    Last edited:

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Nice piece and great find! I have a similar pistol but doesn’t have the safety. It was one that my wife’s grandfather brought back from Europe along with a Luger. It’s really cool to have pieces of history in your collection.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Nice piece and great find! I have a similar pistol but doesn’t have the safety. It was one that my wife’s grandfather brought back from Europe along with a Luger. It’s really cool to have pieces of history in your collection.

Very cool, always makes the gun exponentially more important and interesting when it’s a family piece.

This is my second 38H (also have an eagle/37 German Army), they are neat little guns that are well made and were ahead of their time. The gun shop employee today was fascinated to find out that guns “back then” could have a cocker/decocker on them.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    And it even has the tough to find checkered magazine release. Schweet!

If you shoot it, and you should, replace the grips with modern reproduction ones first because the left side one has a tendency to crack. Judging by the mottling I see in your pictures, the grips appear to be original.

Jul 1, 2012
    Holy Toledo, not only a great find but a crazy great price!
    I had a E/C high polish in the same S/N range with the concentric-circle mag release... traded it even-up for a mint late P.38
    Really well-made pistol.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Yeah, you stole it! And it's such a nice example. Can't understand how that one went unsold. Better that it went to a good home!
    I noticed how the 38H took off in value about 10 yrs ago, well ahead of other German issue pocket pistols like the HSc. A design well ahead of its time.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Man, nice find. I’m usually not as lucky as you were but I do find some cool stuff though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom