• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    They were 50$ I picked one up a few weeks ago. They are made by Aero precision and are GTG except the finish is a little less than top tier manufacturers.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    :innocent0
    IMG_4601.jpg

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    A little off topic (although it relates to an AR-15 build).

What length rail/hanguard is required to "cover" the gas block on a "rifle" length gas system?

I think I saw a picture of a 13" rail that "almost" covered it, but I could be wrong.

I know a 15" will for sure, can someone confirm the minimum required?

I don't have a barrel yet to do the measurements. Thanks ;)

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    a 13 inch will still leave the gas block exposed. a 14 inch will leave like 1/8 inch exposed and a 15 inch, well you can do the match haha. Are you going with a troy rail. I wish i would have instead of spending 400 bucks on a 14 inch danial defense on my spr.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    a 13 inch will still leave the gas block exposed. a 14 inch will leave like 1/8 inch exposed and a 15 inch, well you can do the match haha. Are you going with a troy rail. I wish i would have instead of spending 400 bucks on a 14 inch danial defense on my spr.

Thanks for the info, I was thinking a 14 or 15" would be fine (for an SPR).

I was looking at the Daniel Defense Lite, but it is a bit pricey.
    I think "Russ D" also recommended the Troy or Midwest Industries.

I like the Midwest T-Series, but looks like everyone is out of stock of the black models.
    (gotta be a one-piece free float)

I'm going to look at the Troy ones again today, as the Rail & Barrel is all I need to complete my build :thumbsup:

06MegaCTD

Mar 16, 2009
    Hanover
    i really like my DD rail, just the Troy's are really nice now and they are like half the price. I dont like MI right now. Just they are not tested as DD and Troy.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Well I just ordered the Midwest 15" T-Series, as it (the top rail) butts up flush with the upper. Doesn't look like the Troy does that, and I like the continuous look of the rails from upper to handguard.

Thanks for the feedback on the sizing thing though ;)

P.S.... GO STEELERS..!

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The Troy does fit flush against the receiver and it is now my rail of choice but the Midwest is very popular also.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Well I just ordered the Midwest 15" T-Series, as it (the top rail) butts up flush with the upper. Doesn't look like the Troy does that, and I like the continuous look of the rails from upper to handguard.

Thanks for the feedback on the sizing thing though ;)

P.S.... GO STEELERS..!

Hold on there, Austin. Isn't "football" that thing that the rest of the world does for fun? How do you get a say in "American football," much less rooting for the Steelers as a Marylander?

(Good natured fun here, hopefully no panties are presently bunching anywhere on the forum...)

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Quick question, tried a search but didn't get too far.

How well will a billet upper fit a forged lower? Looking at billet uppers to mate to my Spikes lower.

Thoughts?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Quick question, tried a search but didn't get too far.

How well will a billet upper fit a forged lower? Looking at billet uppers to mate to my Spikes lower.

Thoughts?

No way of telling prior to fitting them. Besides, upper to lower fit is highly overrated. As long as its not "sloppy" it matters very little.

jashu360

Jun 7, 2011
    Darlington
    i ordered a spikes lower part kit and the pistol grip it came with has a rra logo up inside it, is this normal or may i have been bamboozled

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom