• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    I talked to him on the phone today. He has been extremely busy with his job. I do realize that this thread started a very long time ago. Not really sure why he never finished.

Lykaios

The Plastic Fantastic
    Mar 4, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    bcg question

I am building an AR based largely on this thread. This has been great for me as this is my first build. I have one question though - why more than one bolt carrier group??

The reason I ask is because I am about to buy a Bravo Co. bcg and I am wondering if I should buy a second.

Last edited:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I am building an AR based largely on this thread. This has been great for me as this is my first build. I have one question though - why more than one bolt carrier group??

The reason I ask is because I am about to buy a Bravo Co. bcg and I am wonder if I should buy a second.

In case you have an issue with the extractor, bolt, key, etc... it's easy to just swap a BCG and keep going.

Lykaios

The Plastic Fantastic
    Mar 4, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD

In case you have an issue with the extractor, bolt, key, etc... it's easy to just swap a BCG and keep going.

So you would just swap at the range and get the original fixed later?? Or is it a situation where once anything goes wrong with the group trash the whole thing??

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    So you would just swap at the range and get the original fixed later?? Or is it a situation where once anything goes wrong with the group trash the whole thing??

I'd never trash a carrier. The upper would likely go before you would damage a carrier. It's just an easy way to keep shooting until you can get the unit home for a diagnosis later.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    What happed to Apone? I'm still waiting for the flash hiders/compensator section.

If you guys want I'll get Apone's blessing and finish the com/FH section. I've shot just about everything out there right now either in competition or at the range.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    Guys,

If you are waffling about building a lower, don't, just do it.
    It's an easy assembly and you'll know your lockwork inside and out.
    Uppers are a little trickier and require a few more tools so work your way up to that.

All of the info in the OP is golden.
    Spend a few bucks more on the quality parts and it will pay off in the long run.

Three words... Roll Pin Punches.

Nov 23, 2010
    this is a post not seen in a while, but it def has some great info.
    i have not tested all of the information shared, but most seems true

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom