• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Hey guys. I'm generally not a bolt action guy but I found this old clunker locally and, being that it looked like a good honest specimen and I don't think they've been imported for a long time, I decided to pick it up. I know very little about British bolt actions but I do have some slight idea what is what. I know it's just a plain jane Fazakerley made in November of 1954 but what attracted me to it was the fact that it has a nice patina and nobody has done any "enhancements" to it such as switching out parts, steaming the cosmoline out of the stock, sanding the stock, etc.. It also looks to have a pristine bore (I haven't swabbed the dust and cosmoline out yet though) and all of the numbers are matching right down to the No9 bayonet and scabbard. Anywho, I remember when these were being imported by the gadzillions for 90 bucks each but that was a while ago now.
    I guess what I'm asking is...do these things have any monetary value these days or are they still just clunky ol' shooters? I did a partial disassembly and, as far as I can tell, it's never been reworked nor had any parts replaced. If it's worth anything I might pass it along but I don't mind keeping it if it's worthless. The action is slick, stock fitment good and I'm sure it would make an excellent shooter. Here are a few pictures for you and I can take any others that you might want to see. Thanks!

Representative condition of the stock:

Most bunged up area:

Some serial numbers bits:

Last are just a few general pictures showing condition and import stamp:

Barrel looks to still have some storage cosmoline down there but it should come out mirror bright after a patch or two. In hand it's already has much more shine than the photo implies:

Anywho, any thoughts about value or just shooter would be appreciated. As I said, I'm not really much of a bolt action guy but this old clunker just appealed to me. Thank you!

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I well remember the pallet loads of these being imported. Layer upon layer of SMLEs stacked up like firewood. That would have been in the mid to late 1980's. The importer was in the vicinity of Chantilly.

Racks and racks of them - pick the one you want. I remember getting a gun with a few packages of ammo for $100. There were probably 100 in the racks to pick from if you didn't want to pull guns off of pallets. There were also guns that had been wire reinforced for grenade throwing duty. There were also a few 410 conversions.

The story that i seem to remember was that these were surplused from India or Pakistan. A friend at the time told the story of training with these rifles as a Pakistani recruit. They would be issued several rounds and had to turn them back in to the officers at the end of the training session. I believe that he said that he actually fired two or three rounds as part of his basic training.

I picked up a 1942 FTR'ed at Fazackerly '49 in 1985. I was specifically looking for a WWII issued gun.

Your rifle is a step up in condition from most of the guns that i saw at that time.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Good solid example.

I paid $99 at a Big 5 for the same thing 20 years ago with no accessories.

Today?

I'd guess $350 - $450 depending on how bad somebody wants it and how badly you want to move it. The numbered accessories may drive it to the higher end.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    No4 MK2 with a period No9 bayonet. The MK2 is the best choice for a shooter as the trigger hangs/hinges from the receiver instead of the trigger guard like on the previous MK1. As a bonus the British went back to the nice milled MKI Singer sight after wartime pressures had forced them to use cruder examples (officially MK2 and MK3) that were quicker to produce at lower cost and requiring less skilled labor. This is what I recommend to anyone wanting to shoot their Enfield.
    I've casually watched the No4 market recently, just to keep abreast of things. Typical prices I've seen have been in the $350-450 range. The No9 bayonet with scabbard and frog adds around $50 in value. This doesn't count the unissued No4 MK2s that Century imported in the early 90s. Those bring quite a bit more. I've recently seen some still in the wrap selling in the high 3 figure range, knocking on 4 figures. I've got one, un-fired, but out of the wrap. The blond beech furniture is very attractive.
    Congrats on falling into the Enfield rabbit hole, you'll never know how deep it goes!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That matching bayo is what makes it. Not a big money rifle but a solid $400 to $450 plus anyday. I might even bet a little light. Anyday you get a decent priced Enfield with matching numbers is a good day.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Yeah, it's not often you see matching bayonet on these, good find! Common on the unissued "Irish" Enfields (mine is one number off, betting the first owner bought more than one and got them mixed up).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom