• 79ECA408-CB7F-4E5C-9211-C5ED187BDA70.jpg
      79ECA408-CB7F-4E5C-9211-C5ED187BDA70.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 593

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So here's a question, and the reason I ask it is because I didn't really know or understand the purpose until recently when I looked it up.

Many watches - the Omega Speedmaster and Tag Heuer Carrera being two famous examples, (and my two most recent Citizen watches as well) have a tachymeter bezel. I like it because it looks cool, and I know that it's a thing on many chronograph wristwatches.

Who here actually knows how to read one and how/why it's used?

Apparently those watches were designed with the racecar driver in mind, and it allows for the calculation of average speed over a fixed distance. Using the mile as a distance, it's simple - if it takes 40 seconds to traverse the distance, then the driver is traveling at approximately 90 mph.

I typically like to consider myself a form-follows-function kind of guy, but I really dig the look of watches with the black tachymeter bezel, and I'm slightly embarrassed that I bought two watches that had them before I actually learned that.

Attachments

• CiticenPerpetualChrono.jpg
      CiticenPerpetualChrono.jpg
      55.2 KB · Views: 581
    • CitizenBrycen.jpg
      CitizenBrycen.jpg
      88.3 KB · Views: 599

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Is that the Hamiliton Khaki? Those are pretty neat. From an aesthetics perspective you can get there with the Timex Expedition Scout, but it's simply not even close to being on par with the quality of the Hamilton, which is yet one more on my seemingly never-ending list of watches I'd like to own.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Is that the Hamiliton Khaki? Those are pretty neat. From an aesthetics perspective you can get there with the Timex Expedition Scout, but it's simply not even close to being on par with the quality of the Hamilton, which is yet one more on my seemingly never-ending list of watches I'd like to own.

It’s one of the khaki field mechanicals (hand wound, not automatic)
    There are a bunch of different Khaki field watches. (Dial colors, sizes, auto, manual, dial layout, etc.)
    A good Basic Khaki field auto can be had for about $350-$400. Solid Swiss movement. Great design.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I've got a pretty lady on each arm. LOL My Omega with a couple of Tag Heuer watches that belong to my wife. We wear them every day.

Attachments

• 20180907_072527.jpg
      20180907_072527.jpg
      74.5 KB · Views: 448

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    A real 6105 isn't in the cards right now, but I found this great little homage. Runs on a seiko movement. It's been on my wrist since I got it. The super engineer is the finishing touch in my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_4830.jpg
      IMG_4830.jpg
      82.9 KB · Views: 397

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    A question for you watch fans... I have a Luminox space watch that I wore a few times, didn't like and plan to sell. There are a few scuffs in the crystal that I can't get out. Is it worth having the crystal changed out or will that not impact the resale value substantially?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    A question for you watch fans... I have a Luminox space watch that I wore a few times, didn't like and plan to sell. There are a few scuffs in the crystal that I can't get out. Is it worth having the crystal changed out or will that not impact the resale value substantially?

It's not worth having it redone. It's probably going to cost you well over a hundred bucks and it's not going to make that much of a difference.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    This is my new daily wear watch - a Tissot Luxury, black dial, leather strap, COSC certified Chronometer. It has the Powermatic 80 movement, which is basically an ETA 2824-2, But modded to a slightly slower rate so that it has an 80 hour power reserve. They laser regulate it at the factory for accuracy, and so far it's only -2 seconds/day.

Attachments

• ED0DB630-830F-4DA0-9C4D-8CC27CA0CB13.jpg
      ED0DB630-830F-4DA0-9C4D-8CC27CA0CB13.jpg
      69.2 KB · Views: 455

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So here's a question for all of you watch guys out there - how do you decide which watch you are going to wear on a given day? Since I got the Tissot Luxury, I have a hard time rotating anything else in, although I suspect that part of that is due to the newness factor of the Tissot.

Today I made a point to wear something different and I'm wearing one of my two Citizen chronographs, but I was tempted to put the Tissot back on.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So here's a question for all of you watch guys out there - how do you decide which watch you are going to wear on a given day? Since I got the Tissot Luxury, I have a hard time rotating anything else in, although I suspect that part of that is due to the newness factor of the Tissot.

Today I made a point to wear something different and I'm wearing one of my two Citizen chronographs, but I was tempted to put the Tissot back on.

I don’t think anyone has an answer to that question.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker

Activity

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom