• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    For those who fly fish, many know the name "Lefty" Kreh. World renowned fly fisher and champion fly caster. Author of many books on the subject as well as newspaper journalist.

He passed away peacefully in his sleep last night at the age of 93.

I got the news from my brother who was a good friend of his, and had the pleasure of illustrating several of his books.

Lefty was a true showman and great teacher of the sport he so dearly loved. He will never be replaced.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I met him 25 years ago at the Maryland fly fishers and he was a really nice guy. He was one of the great ones there and open minded too. He fished for everything and anything.

Unfortunately the rest of that group was not like him and a bunch of trout snobs. They had a round table thing one meeting, you say you name, gear and what you fish for. I was the only one that said "Bass and panfish" and got that EF Hutton look, like how'd they let you through the door. :rolleyes: I used to be surprised they accepted Lefty back then because he fished for everything. I assume they accepted him because he fished for everything and was still better at trout fly fishing then all of them.

He was the Fred Bear of Fly fishing and showed the common man he could do it too. Very personable and made you feel like listen to your grandfather teaching you about fishing.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    He was a great guy. My dad and I took a casting class with him over on the Eastern Shore 20 years ago and he really took his time to help out every person in the class to understand how to cast a fly line.

Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida
    I met him years a ago at a Freestate Flyfishers meeting. After he spoke to the group, I asked him to autograph one of his books. As he signed it, I asked if he still gave casting lessons. He replied, "I do, but they're pretty expensive". When I asked how much, he replied "$100 an hour, and you have to bring a friend". I was floored. I lesson from Lefty is like getting a golf lesson from Arnold Palmer or Jack Nicklaus. He was a legend, arguably the greatest saltwater fly fisherman in the world.

The lesson was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. We started it sitting and talking in his living room, and then rode in his car to a park. He taught us things that greatly increased my casting distance from 50' to over 80' almost immediately, all the while cracking jokes and making it fun. He told us he learned to cast left handed so people would stop calling him Bernard. His most memorable quip was "Now watch your backcast, I can understand why you wouldn't want to, but watch your backcast". The lesson lasted well over an hour, Lefty wanted to make sure we got our $100 worth.

Lefty Kreh was a wonderful fisherman, a wonderful teacher and a wonderful man. RIP Lefty.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I met him years a ago at a Freestate Flyfishers meeting. After he spoke to the group, I asked him to autograph one of his books. As he signed it, I asked if he still gave casting lessons. He replied, "I do, but they're pretty expensive". When I asked how much, he replied "$100 an hour, and you have to bring a friend". I was floored. I lesson from Lefty is like getting a golf lesson from Arnold Palmer or Jack Nicklaus. He was a legend, arguably the greatest saltwater fly fisherman in the world.

The lesson was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. We started it sitting and talking in his living room, and then rode in his car to a park. He taught us things that greatly increased my casting distance from 50' to over 80' almost immediately, all the while cracking jokes and making it fun. He told us he learned to cast left handed so people would stop calling him Bernard. His most memorable quip was "Now watch your backcast, I can understand why you wouldn't want to, but watch your backcast". The lesson lasted well over an hour, Lefty wanted to make sure we got our $100 worth.

Lefty Kreh was a wonderful fisherman, a wonderful teacher and a wonderful man. RIP Lefty.

Eventually they were up to $500 if memory serves. Money well spent IMHO.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't know if this is true, but a childhood friend said he was related to Lefty. My friend's name was Carson Ford Kreh. He died back in 2012 from cancer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom