$1060 for CMP IHC Garand, is it worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I snailmailed an order in for one of these and received the DBU email, but they need me to resubmit one of the forms notorized before proceeding.

What's the consensus? Is this a fair price for a SG IHC Garand?

Oh wait, you already ordered it? Well in that case enjoy, I'm sure it will be worth the investment. I don't mean to rain on your parade. I have yet to hear anyone say they feel they were ripped off by CMP.

[EDIT] And even if you don't like the rifle, you could almost certainly get all your money back or perhaps more reselling it.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I would love to acquire a Garand for shooting. My paternal and maternal grandpas carried one in WWII and Korea, so I want one. Saturday I'll officially be a member of Fort Hill Rifle and pistol club, which I believe is CMP affiliated.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Just got this latest update from CMP

Attachments

• 3852EC83-8CD5-40B7-BF02-101D8682074F.jpg
      3852EC83-8CD5-40B7-BF02-101D8682074F.jpg
      63.6 KB · Views: 239

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Not mine, but this is posted on another gun forum. He's wanting a FTF but it's in another neighboring state. Send me a PM and I will send the link to you.

Springfield M1 Garand
    1954 mfg with 1954 dated barrel
    Appears unfired
    Muzzle gauge 1, Throat gauge 2
    Bore is immaculate, receiver shows no wear or copper on bolt head or chamber.
    In short, it looks brand new.

Comes with CMP case and all the paperwork.

$995.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Did not know that about the IHC. Good info thanks, now I know what the collector appeal is. I for one don't have the space to collect Garands.

Garands aren't nearly as tough to collect as M1 Carbines...they had more than ten manufacturers with a variety of sub-variations beyond that. To collect them requires having an obsessive personality and deep pockets.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Not mine, but this is posted on another gun forum. He's wanting a FTF but it's in another neighboring state. Send me a PM and I will send the link to you.

Springfield M1 Garand
    Appears unfired

$995.

Seems like a sweet deal if all matching. Hell, I’ll buy that! The year I was born!

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Garands aren't nearly as tough to collect as M1 Carbines...they had more than ten manufacturers with a variety of sub-variations beyond that. To collect them requires having an obsessive personality and deep pockets.

MG folks often equate their single gun to an entire M1 Garand collection. It is a fairly interesting argument. Consider that a run of the mill MG is $8K and a bunch of field grade M1 Garands could set you back $8k. An M16 is in the $25k-$30K range and a decent collection of correct M1 Garands (including a sniper or two) could easily set you back this much.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I sent in two apps days apart (Springer and IHc) and still no DBU email. Also tried to buy some Garand bayonets but my club membership is not yet in their system. Woe is me! :(

I sold an Hra a few months ago with a 1905 style bayonet made my AF&H. I wish I’d have kept the bayonet, that style is no longer available from Cmp.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Garands are a lot like real estate, you don't pay too much you only might pay it early.
    I got my H&R Garand from the DCM (CMP) a while ago for $165, I remember thinking "Holy crap, that's a lot of money!"

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth

Springfield M1 Garand
    Appears unfired

$995.

Pm me the whereabouts please

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    25 yd zero

so I finally got off my a*s and zeroed my new rifle in.
    I did have to take the rear sight apart and clean it first, but loosening the screw holding it together might have been adequate
    Initially, I couldn't turn the windage screw.
    This one has a great barrel and could compete
    I've never truly zeroed my other 3 garands aka sighted at a known yardage and set the elevation correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom