Buying a non regulated long gun in a contiguous state?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The American

Sep 25, 2018
    Maryland
    Lol, don't want to guess what you think a "fab" is. FWIW, he's not referring to you. It's a gun board, so don't take offense as most everyone who's posted, HRDWRK, fabsroman (Fabs), etc is trying to help you. Sometimes, folks will ask questions of new posters (a certain, largely benign Chick-fil-A fan on this forum is famous for this and threatening a shine box otherwise) but it's simply a protective response. There are people that come here seeking ways to break the law or seeing if others will aid and abet in this process.

Hope you find a great 10/22 rifle on your trip and post up some pics after you get it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sorry if my question came off suspicious to you. I wanted to make sure if it was legal to buy my graduation present while in Missouri during My fishing trip and seeing family. But because I didn't introduce myself to strangers on the internet and responded to answers "suspiciously" you assume I'm a fab? First of all I'm not trying to break the law. So that's why I asked this question when I wasn't sure of the answers. I find it ridiculous that I get questioned for asking a question.

i totally understand. I know this is a site where people come for answers so I needed an answer since I'm leaving tommorow. I thought it made more sense if I bought a 10\22 while I was on vacation to make my vacation more special and to enjoy some shooting at my cousins range. I already own an AR i got on my 18th birth day but I always wanted a 10\22. Have a great evening

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I thought it was federal law that you can't, and some here said the law changed. When did it change? I missed it somewhere in this 12 year journey of this interest in gun topics of mine. I came here looking for the answer due to that Columbine obsessed 18 year old who went from FL to CO and bought a shotgun in CO. And by golly someone asked the question yesterday, what timing. BTW why are these weirdos so obsessed with Columbine? It was lame-o central.

The American

Sep 25, 2018
    Maryland
    I thought it was federal law that you can't, and some here said the law changed. When did it change? I missed it somewhere in this 12 year journey of this interest in gun topics of mine. I came here looking for the answer due to that Columbine obsessed 18 year old who went from FL to CO and bought a shotgun in CO. And by golly someone asked the question yesterday, what timing. BTW why are these weirdos so obsessed with Columbine? It was lame-o central.

Yeah it was really bad timing on my part lol. I didn't hear about the obsessed woman until today. Some people are just evil and crazy. There is no law for Maryland that says you can't buy a long gun in a contiguous state.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    No, I realize that if somebody has half a brain and they really have some ulterior motive, then post an introduction that will be just fine by you, me, and almost everybody else on here.

So, you ask for an introduction. MSP on the other ends gives you what you want. The 48 year old sergeant on the other ends writes that he just turned 18, is driving his beater that his parents gave him to Missouri to shoot with a cousin, wants to buy a 10/22 while out there versus buying one here in Maryland before leaving, and how would you or I be any bit the wiser?

This is the internet. Anybody can be anybody else they want, until you really start getting to know the person ftf, and even then an undercover would probably fool you as to who they are.

I just find it hilarious that you think somebody posting an intro on here would 1) be entirely truthful about it and 2) that it would allow you to actually figure out what their intent is in asking the question.

Heck, I am still trying to figure out who you are and what your intent is in asking for an intro.

OP - I'll take you at your word about being 18 and heading out to Missouri to do some shooting. Really long drive though for some shooting.QUQUOTE
    I'm going to Missouri to see family and mainly to do fishing. This time of year White Bass are in spawns
    And my dad wanted the opportunity to take me where he grew up. I just wanted to ask a question to see if buying a rifle out of state was legal. I already own an AR but I thought it made more sense while I'm on vacation to buy a 10\22 to also enjoy some shooting. I really shouldn't have to explain myself.

Exactly. You really, really, really should not have to explain yourself. However, some around here have lots of tinfoil on hand.

If I was you, I would just buy the 10/22 here before leaving for Missouri. You can make sure you get exactly what you want from a LGS or buy it on GunBroker and have it sent to an LGS of your choosing. If I was going to be driving a ways to go hunting or shooting, I would want to already have my firearms of choice with me when I left the house and not hope that the LGS has what I am looking for when I get there. Just my 2 cents.

While you do not have to explain yourself, it is great to hear that you and your dad are heading out there so he can show you where he grew up. It was awesome when I went to Italy and my parents took me to their home towns and showed me where they lived. My dad showed me where he was born. It is a pharmacy now, but it was a horse stall when he was born. He was premature and they kept him in a shoebox when he was first born. Just incredible to see that stuff. In 2001, his "town" was smaller than my neighborhood. It was even smaller when he was living there in the mid 40's.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Sorry if my question came off suspicious to you. I wanted to make sure if it was legal to buy my graduation present while in Missouri during My fishing trip and seeing family. But because I didn't introduce myself to strangers on the internet and responded to answers "suspiciously" you assume I'm a fab? First of all I'm not trying to break the law. So that's why I asked this question when I wasn't sure of the answers. I find it ridiculous that I get questioned for asking a question.

Ah, now that I think about it, this reminds me of my Mont Blanc collection. I buy pens for specific occasions. I have a set of pens that I bought on that 2001
    trip to Italy that I just mentioned in another response.

Buying the 10/22 in Missouri would be an awesome reminder of the trip, especially if it is a graduation present from your dad. Yeah, scratch my other 2 cents. Buy the 10/22 in Missouri to remember the trip and your dad. I will always remember my dad giving me a short term loan in early December 1997, until I received my Christmas bonus, to buy my Benelli SBE. It lead to pics like the. The ones below. We stopped at Galyan's in Gaithersburg on the way home from hunting and I asked to look at the gun. I was shouldering it, and he asked if I really wanted it. Told him I did, but I did not have the money right then. He offered to loan it to me until I got my bonus. Take lots of pics of your trip to Missouri so you can remember them 20+ years later.

Attachments

• MdShooters7.jpg
      MdShooters7.jpg
      96.9 KB · Views: 389
    • MdShooters32.jpg
      MdShooters32.jpg
      91.2 KB · Views: 384
    • MdShooters96.jpg
      MdShooters96.jpg
      106.2 KB · Views: 396
    • MdShooters106.JPG
      MdShooters106.JPG
      43.1 KB · Views: 379
    • MdShooters107.JPG
      MdShooters107.JPG
      57.7 KB · Views: 389
    • MdShooters111.jpg
      MdShooters111.jpg
      80.2 KB · Views: 398
    • MdShooters112.jpg
      MdShooters112.jpg
      107.8 KB · Views: 411
    • MdShooters114.jpg
      MdShooters114.jpg
      123.9 KB · Views: 378
    • MdShooters153.jpg
      MdShooters153.jpg
      129.7 KB · Views: 392

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yes FOPA 1986 changed the contiguous requirement to just being legal in both state of purchase and purchaser state of residence.

Thank you Nate.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    To clarify In section 5-204 of MD code It says you can buy a long gun in a adjacent state but if buying a long gun in a contiguous state is legal why would they only say you can buy in an adjacent state? is it no longer law?

A bit of history.

Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA 68) prevented firearms sales outside the state of residence of the buyer, except for certain conditions.

One such condition was an adjacent state, for long guns only, but only if the home state of the buyer explicitly allowed it. So 49 states enacted laws that allowed their residents to purchase in adjacent states. DE was the only one that did not.

Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 (FOPA or FOPA 86) removed the adjacent state restriction. Allowing long gun sales in any state, as long as the purchase was legal in both the state of the transaction, and the state of residence of the buyer. This ONLY applies to long guns and between a dealer and the buyer. Handgun sales and face-to-face sales are still restricted to the home state of the buyer.

There are some special conditions where a person can be a legal residence of one state, but be considered a legal resident in another state for purchase of firearms. Active duty military and full time students are two of them.

One issue in some states is that when the passed their law about allowing adjacent state sales in response to GCA 68, the ONLY allowed purchase in adjacent states. So for those residents, while Federal law allowed purchase in any state, the state law of the resident did not. Most of them have been revised.

One issue you may run into is, that due to the MD law restrictions, many dealers will not sell to MD residents at all. They do not want to make a mistake and sell something that is not legal in MD. So instead of learning the MD law for a occasional sale, they just say no. This can be for a small shop or a big store.

Conductor

Mar 14, 2014
    Loudoun County, VA
    Hi I'm going out of state to Missouri for vacation and wanted to pick up a Ruger 10\22 while in Missouri. But is it legal to buy and purchase a rifle out of state that is contiguous to MD? Or can I only buy a long gun in a adjacent state?

Just as a matter of information, CONTIGUOUS and ADJACENT are two words that mean the SAME THING.
    An ADJACENT state is also a CONTIGUOUS state.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just as a matter of information, CONTIGUOUS and ADJACENT are two words that mean the SAME THING.

Though, you are correct, when "the contiguous United States" are referred to, that means each state touches one or more states("the lower 48"). That doesn't mean California touches Maryland.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Though, you are correct, when "the contiguous United States" are referred to, that means each state touches one or more states("the lower 48"). That doesn't mean California touches Maryland.

Contiguous and Adjacent = Synonyms... legiscritters like big words that sound special and mean the same thing. :rolleyes:

Contiguous State = shared physical border.

Adjacent State = next door neighbor.

Altered State = the blue ones.

It sure does, politically. And in a completely inappropriate way, too. :sad20:

:lol: The Uncle Joe B touching that everyone talks about when they think no one is listening.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Contiguous and Adjacent = Synonyms... legiscritters like big words that sound special and mean the same thing. :rolleyes:

Contiguous State = shared physical border.

Adjacent State = next door neighbor.

Altered State = the blue ones.

:lol: The Uncle Joe B touching that everyone talks about when they think no one is listening.

:D

Attachments

• joe2.jpg
      joe2.jpg
      43.5 KB · Views: 295

larr

Apr 1, 2011
    Easternshore
    Hate to bring up an old thread but I just got back from driving to Arizona and not one gunshop would sell me a shotgun because I am from Maryland. I stopped in every state except Virginia at different shops only to be told that the atf sent out a letter stating no long gun sales to residents of Maryland. Delaware, NJ, New York and a few others were also in the letter.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Hate to bring up an old thread but I just got back from driving to Arizona and not one gunshop would sell me a shotgun because I am from Maryland. I stopped in every state except Virginia at different shops only to be told that the atf sent out a letter stating no long gun sales to residents of Maryland. Delaware, NJ, New York and a few others were also in the letter.

I think you’ve been lied to. I can see why a shop wouldn’t want to sell to a MD resident but there is no reason for the ATF to send that because it’s not illegal. Plenty of members here have bought non regulated rifles/shotguns in other states

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larr

Apr 1, 2011
    Easternshore
    I think you’ve been lied to. I can see why a shop wouldn’t want to sell to a MD resident but there is no reason for the ATF to send that because it’s not illegal. Plenty of members here have bought non regulated rifles/shotguns in other states

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the same thing when I stopped in a few local shops in Arizona, then I stopped in one in New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas and Tennessee and they all said the same thing. Buds gunshop and Smokey mountain gun works showed me the letter from the atf. They said they could send them to a ffl in my state but couldn't sell me one over the counter

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom