• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dglock

Oct 15, 2016
    Hello,

I currently live in Florida but am looking to move to Maryland in the near future. I found this forum in my searches dealing with firearms and firearm laws for Maryland. I am looking to learn more about firearm laws, what I can and cant bring with me, and mag capacity limits. Also I have heard that getting a concealed carry in Maryland is next to impossible but I am going to try because why not and I was wanting to find someone who can give me some pointers on that and who to go to for the class that I would have to take. I am looking to settle somewhere around Harford County North East of Baltimore. Any info, thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You can bring magazines of any size, you just can't buy them here.

You can bring any handgun ( except for some really obscure 1980's assult pistols).

If you owned your Evil Black Rifle before 10/01/2013 , you are grsndfathered. If purchased after Oct 1 '13, most of them are banned. AR-15 with HBAR bbl are specifically permitted. Ask us specifically if potential Banned Rifle issues.

Well you can apply for Handgun Wear & Carry permit if you wish to make a general statement, and seek a Disapproval to change the false narritive in the General Assembly, we applaud such efforts.

But if you wish to actually recieve such a permit, there are some catagories to fit into.

Are you a victim of, or turncoat member of a violent drug dealing gang in innercity Baltimore in process of testifying against them ?

Are you a Md based Bail Bondsman ?

Will you be the owner of a business, doing business in Md ?

Will you be a supervisory employee , for whom the owner of said business will write a letter requesting for you to be armed ?

The above are highly probable to near certainty to recieve a Permit, albeit it will be restricted to while conducting said business activities, not for everyday regular life.

Are you at specific terrorist threat relating with inlelegence or national defense related employment, typically in combination with a large data breach ? This is a sometimes. It helps to be able to write great legal briefs, and have Perry Mason like oratory skills.

If you are moving to Md for employment as armed Security Gaurd, Private Investagator, Armored Car Crew member, etc , your employer will walk you thru it. But will be limited to on the job, and possibly to/ from home.

If nobody said it yet, don't move to actual Md. Move to near the state line of any neighboring state, and commute. Md is a small state, and virtually anywhere is commutable from over a border.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 172

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

You can bring any handgun ( except for some really obscure 1980's assult pistols).

If you owned your Evil Black Rifle before 10/01/2013 , you are grsndfathered. If purchased after Oct 1 '13, most of them are banned. AR-15 with HBAR bbl are specifically permitted. Ask us specifically if potential Banned Rifle issues.

Well you can apply for Handgun Wear & Carry permit if you wish to make a general statement, and seek a Disapproval to change the false narritive in the General Assembly, we applaud such efforts.

But if you wish to actually recieve such a permit, there are some catagories to fit into.

Are you a victim of, or turncoat member of a violent drug dealing gang in innercity Baltimore in process of testifying against them ?

Will you be a supervisory employee , for whom the owner of said business will write a letter requesting for you to be armed ?

The above are highly probable to near certainty to recieve a Permit, albeit it will be restricted to while conducting said business activities, not for everyday regular life.

Are you at specific terrorist threat relating with inlelegence or national defense related employment, typically in combination with a large data breach ? This is a sometimes. It helps to be able to write great legal briefs, and have Perry Mason like oratory skills.

If you are moving to Md for employment as armed Security Gaurd, Private Investagator, Armored Car Crew member, etc , your employer will walk you thru it. But will be limited to on the job, and possibly to/ from home.

If nobody said it yet, don't move to actual Md. Move to near the state line of any neighboring state, and commute. Md is a small state, and virtually anywhere is commutable from over a border.

Excellent advice. You might want to consider updating MSI's wiki page with this info. We're trying to improve/expand it, then point folks to it instead of repeating the same info over and over. Thank you in any case.

OP- welcome, and once you figure out the laws it's not hard to follow. MSI is also fighting the FSA2013 that was a political ploy to try to get out former (idiot) governor elected president. Things are looking up for Maryland, best if you become somewhat politically active.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    MSI is also fighting the FSA2013 that was a political ploy to try to get out former (idiot) governor elected president.

Idiocy could be considered a medical condition. Owe'Malley was a buffoon, putting on a show for primary voters who he thought were complete dimwits. Unfortunately for him, they only turned out to be partial dimwits.

dglock

Oct 15, 2016

Awesome! Thank you for the information. I was struggling to find if there were any specific laws so that I may verify for myself about bringing in the >10 round mags and the only thing that I can find is that they can't be bought or sold with in the state.

I do plan on applying for a handgun wear and carry permit just to help make a statement like you said even if I get denied. Unfortunately, I don't fall into any of those categories so it looks like I wont be able to obtain one. (Doesn't hurt to try though) I will look at other states surrounding MD but the reason i'm moving is going to be living there and I will spend a lot of time there so I don't know that living across the border will really be that beneficial. However, I do understand what you mean.

I should be able to keep them in my house/apartment that i'm renting with no problem's correct?
    Is it like CA where the ammo and firearm have to be stored separately or can they be kept together locked in a lockbox/safe?

Again thank you all for the information that you have provided. I look forward to continuing to check out the forum and getting more involved.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I should be able to keep them in my house/apartment that i'm renting with no problem's correct?
    Is it like CA where the ammo and firearm have to be stored separately or can they be kept together locked in a lockbox/safe?

Correct. Under Maryland law, it is illegal to store a loaded firearm where a minor can access it unsupervised. Other than that, AFAIK there aren't any other conditions on storage. And there is a memo from the MD AG office stating that a firearm is not considered loaded unless ammunition is in the weapon. A gun with loaded magazine sitting nearby, but not in, it is not considered loaded.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]P[/FONT]lease consider donating to help [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Fight Maryland's HQ[FONT=&quot]L[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT]

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Adjacent states

VA NR CCW-100 bucks plus prints and training.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm

WV-not required-constitutional carry

PA
    won't issue without a home state permit but they honor NH NR permit 100 dollars no prints, no training. leave home state permit space blank-no longer required by court decision

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

DE
    Honors FL and UT. FL and UT NR permits not hard to get UT requires specific class.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Div...Apply-for-or-Renew-a-Concealed-Weapon-License

https://bci.utah.gov/concealed-firearm/how-do-i-apply-for-a-concealed-firearm-permit/

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Welcome.

I only want to nitpick on the magazines. You can not buy, sell, trade, give, receive, or offer for sale any magazine over 10 rounds in Maryland. As has been said, it is ok possess, or to buy elsewhere and and bring in mags of any capacity.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Welcome.

I only want to nitpick on the magazines. You can not buy, sell, trade, give, receive, or offer for sale any magazine over 10 rounds in Maryland. As has been said, it is ok possess, or to buy elsewhere and and bring in mags of any capacity.

What Bb said. If you have firearms already that take magazines, buy your regular capacity mags outside of MD and bring them in. We all do that.... :rolleyes: I buy 3 or 4 every time I fly to Texas and just put them in my checked bag. Never have had an issue.....

Oh and welcome from Marriottsville. The start of sanity on the trip to western Maryland.

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    If you owned your Evil Black Rifle before 10/01/2013 , you are grsndfathered. If purchased after Oct 1 '13, most of them are banned. .

I have a question about this. How is this supposed to be proven? Was I supposed to keep the receipt when I bought my last AR? Since I still can't find a crystal ball on Amazon, How was I supposed to foresee a law change in the future requiring proof of purchase date?

OP: If your move here is job related have you considered moving to one of MD's border states? Their gun laws are actually a bit less communist and you can actually apply and receive a carry permit.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    So if you move to MD you can't bring any of the banned firearms into the state at all if purchased after 10/1/13? I know someone that bought an M1A that is moving to MD soon. They purchased the rifle a short time ago. Will this be an issue for them?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    2 schools of thought and we're not lawyers. (Except Esqappellate, Fabs, Wolfwood and a few others here.)

1. You have to prove it.
    2. Let the state prove you did not possess it before 10-1-13

if you bought it from an FFL, a record should exist (4473)

not sure which is correct,

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    So if you move to MD you can't bring any of the banned firearms into the state at all if purchased after 10/1/13? I know someone that bought an M1A that is moving to MD soon. They purchased the rifle a short time ago. Will this be an issue for them?

banned if purchased after 10-1-13.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No issue, they simply can NOT bring it. They can store it out of state, or sell it out of state.

And to add to the list above ;

To have any potential credibility of having been owned pre 10/13 , it has to mfg before 10/13 . As the years go by, that will increasingly be a factor.

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    No issue, they simply can NOT bring it. They can store it out of state, or sell it out of state.

And to add to the list above ;

To have any potential credibility of having been owned pre 10/13 , it has to mfg before 10/13 . As the years go by, that will increasingly be a factor.

This topic confuses me and the laws/regs seem to be fuzzy at best.

SO, I own a large tract of hunting land in Md. My BIL likes to bring his newest toys ( AR's usually ) with him when he visits to shoot. So he can no longer do this? what about the AR he leaves at my house for hunting?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

SO, I own a large tract of hunting land in Md. My BIL likes to bring his newest toys ( AR's usually ) with him when he visits to shoot. So he can no longer do this? what about the AR he leaves at my house for hunting?
    Welcome aboard!

How large? Will cops ever show for noise complaints?

While I advocate breaking NO laws:

A wise old owl sat on an oak;
    The more he saw the less he spoke;
    The less he spoke the more he heard;
    Why aren't we like that wise old bird?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

He's not supposed to bring any bought after Oct 2013. https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=197559

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom