.45 Blackpowder Revolver That uses 60+ Grs. Of Powder ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    This regulation always cracked me up:

* Flintlock, percussion cap, and inline ignition muzzleloaders are legal hunting devices. To be considered a muzzleloader, a rifle, shotgun or handgun must be loaded from the muzzle, and a revolver must be loaded from the front of the cylinder.

I can't find a single person who owns a Blackpowder Revolver that shoots a.45 cal bullet with 60+ grains of powder. I don't know if such a thing even exists. I've never searched for one, but, I've always been curious about why this regulation even exists. I've never had any interest in a Blackpowder Revolvers, so, I have to ask, does such a gun actually exists ?

I'm also still fascinated how we can use a scoped .50 Muzzleloader pistol with a .45 caliber bullet and 100 grains of powder to hunt Deer, but, we can not use a modern handgun to hunt Deer. And we wonder why Muzzleloader Rifles are so popular in Non-Rifle counties...

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    doesnt matter.

•Muzzleloading handguns (both single shot and revolvers) may be used to hunt deer in all counties. Muzzleloading handguns used for deer and bear hunting must be at least .40 caliber in size with a barrel length of at least 6 inches and use not less than 40 grains of black powder (or a black powder equivalent) and propel one all-lead, lead alloy or copper soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge

doesnt matter.

•Muzzleloading handguns (both single shot and revolvers) may be used to hunt deer in all counties. Muzzleloading handguns used for deer and bear hunting must be at least .40 caliber in size with a barrel length of at least 6 inches and use not less than 40 grains of black powder (or a black powder equivalent) and propel one all-lead, lead alloy or copper soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge

^This. I've gotten 48g FFF in my Old Army with no wad/patch,tried 50g and the ball stuck out just enough that the cylinder wouldn't rotate.:sad20:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    doesnt matter.

WOW DNR is a little contradictory aren't they ?
    HERE

I have never looked at the Handgun Reg, so, I was a little confused by where you got your information... That's hilarious.

Muzzleloader Regulations

• Muzzleloading rifles may be used to hunt all game mammals (except beavers, weasels, mink, muskrats, and river otters), turkeys during the fall season only, quail, pheasants, ruffed grouse, crows, nutria, and woodchucks. Muzzleloading shotguns may be used to hunt all game birds, game mammals (except beavers, weasels, mink, muskrats, and river otters), nutria, and woodchucks.
    • Muzzleloaders used for deer and bear hunting must be at least .40 caliber in size and use not less than 60 grains of black powder (or a black powder equivalent) and propel one all-lead, lead alloy or copper soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge. Sabot loads are legal.
    • It is permissible to hunt deer with a muzzleloading rifle or muzzleloading shotgun in all counties. Telescopic sights may be used on a muzzleloader.
    • Flintlock, percussion cap, and inline ignition muzzleloaders are legal hunting devices. To be considered a muzzleloader, a rifle, shotgun or handgun must be loaded from the muzzle, and a revolver must be loaded from the front of the cylinder.
    • Muzzleloaders are considered unloaded if the ignition system is disabled by removal of the cap, primer, battery, or primer powder.
    Handgun Regulations

• Modern and muzzleloading handguns may be used to hunt all game mammals (except beavers, weasels, mink, muskrats, and river otters), turkeys during the fall season only, quail, pheasants, ruffed grouse, crows, nutria, and woodchucks.
    • Modern handguns may be used to hunt deer only in those counties where the use of a breech-loading rifle for deer hunting is permitted with the exception that modern handguns may be used to hunt deer throughout Frederick County. Any modern handgun used for deer and bear hunting must have a barrel length of 6 inches or more and use ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot-pounds or more.
    • Muzzleloading handguns (both single shot and revolvers) may be used to hunt deer in all counties. Muzzleloading handguns used for deer and bear hunting must be at least .40 caliber in size with a barrel length of at least 6 inches and use not less than 40 grains of black powder (or a black powder equivalent) and propel one all-lead, lead alloy or copper soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Look at the modern firearms requirements. 1200 fpe for rifle and 700 fpe from a handgun. I quess you have to draw the limits somewhere.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    This regulation always cracked me up:

* Flintlock, percussion cap, and inline ignition muzzleloaders are legal hunting devices. To be considered a muzzleloader, a rifle, shotgun or handgun must be loaded from the muzzle, and a revolver must be loaded from the front of the cylinder.

I can't find a single person who owns a Blackpowder Revolver that shoots a.45 cal bullet with 60+ grains of powder. I don't know if such a thing even exists. I've never searched for one, but, I've always been curious about why this regulation even exists. I've never had any interest in a Blackpowder Revolvers, so, I have to ask, does such a gun actually exists ?

I'm also still fascinated how we can use a scoped .50 Muzzleloader pistol with a .45 caliber bullet and 100 grains of powder to hunt Deer, but, we can not use a modern handgun to hunt Deer. And we wonder why Muzzleloader Rifles are so popular in Non-Rifle counties...
    Muzzleloading handguns (both single shot
    and revolvers) may be used to hunt deer
    in all counties. Muzzleloading handguns
    used for deer and bear hunting must be at
    least .40 caliber in size with a barrel length
    of at least 6 inches and use not less than 40
    grains of black powder (or a black powder
    equivalent) and propel one all-lead, lead
    alloy or copper soft-nosed or expanding
    bullet or ball at a single discharge.

The Ruger Old Army 45 will load with 41 grains of Goex FFFFg, when using .457 round balls.
    NOTE: don't use FFFFg powder in the import firearms!

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    So you can use a Colt Walker with about 60g of BP out of a 9 inch barrel, getting about 500 fpe, but you can't use a 4 inch barrelled .357 Mag. getting close to 600 fpe. Goofy.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Muzzleloading handguns (both single shot
    and revolvers) may be used to hunt deer
    in all counties. Muzzleloading handguns
    used for deer and bear hunting must be at
    least .40 caliber in size with a barrel length
    of at least 6 inches and use not less than 40
    grains of black powder (or a black powder
    equivalent) and propel one all-lead, lead
    alloy or copper soft-nosed or expanding
    bullet or ball at a single discharge.

The Ruger Old Army 45 will load with 41 grains of Goex FFFFg, when using .457 round balls.
    NOTE: don't use FFFFg powder in the import firearms!

If you go back and read post #4 you will notice that the actual regulation is 60 grains. It has always been 60 grains minimum. I never noticed the false information until Franklin posted the "40 grains" and I was thinking where did you come up with that ? post #4 explains the issue. The fact is that the minimum is 60 grains. It has always been 60 grains.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Walker Colt

Yep I just found out about the Walker guns just yesterday. I understand they can handle a .44 Mag bullet with a 60 grain charge. That Walker Maximum is the same as my Optima's Minimum. That's exactly what I am shooting out of my Optima pistol. I just found it interesting that there was actually, and seems to be only one revolver, that actually shoots such a load. That has got to be a fun gun to shoot.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    So you can use a Colt Walker with about 60g of BP out of a 9 inch barrel, getting about 500 fpe, but you can't use a 4 inch barrelled .357 Mag. getting close to 600 fpe. Goofy.

LOL yeah pretty ridiculous actually. My CVA Optima pistol will handle a .45 to .50 cal bullet and maximum 100 grains of powder. The legal minimum for Deer is 700 on "Modern Handgun's" in Maryland and I know a lot of handguns and revolvers that can do well more than 700, but, we still can not use them to hunt with here in Charles County because our county commissioners are firearms ignorant. I simply had no idea that was actually a revolver capable of 60 grains of powder.

FYI - Post #4:
    Any modern handgun used for deer and bear hunting must have a barrel length of 6 inches or more and use ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot-pounds or more.

I'd be real curious to know what the FPE is on my Optima pistol doing at 60 grains and 100 grains of Pyrodex RS or Alliant Black-MZ. I just know this 60 grain load kills Deer and does it well with a 255 grain bullet in .45 cal.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Yup. That was the 44mag of its day.

All I know is I would love to shoot this Walker pistol just one time. It sound like a grand time. I know this new Optima pistol is going to be a very gun to use tomorrow morning and I'm itching to get out there right now and shoot the thing. I have a 6 point and a 8 pointer on deck for the pistol tomorrow.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    If you go back and read post #4 you will notice that the actual regulation is 60 grains. It has always been 60 grains minimum. I never noticed the false information until Franklin posted the "40 grains" and I was thinking where did you come up with that ? post #4 explains the issue. The fact is that the minimum is 60 grains. It has always been 60 grains.

60 grains for RIFLE -VS- 40 grains for PISTOL
    Rifle and pistol have always had their own requirements, smokeless and black powder.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    60 grains for RIFLE -VS- 40 grains for PISTOL
    Rifle and pistol have always had their own requirements, smokeless and black powder.

Yeah I see. I can not imagine shooting 40 grains of powder at anything in a Muzzleloader Pistol. Modern Handgun sure.. I use 30 grains in my .32 cal and that little "pop" even at 40 grains would never be a consideration for shooting at a Deer. My concern is the low 40 grain regulation. Might be ok at a few yards, but, that Deer would have to be right up on me to pull the trigger with 40 grains of powder in a M/L pistol. I shoot 60 and that's the barest of minimum I would ever shoot.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually , to fit a full 60gr in a Walker , you have to use a round ball. A conical w/ 50-ish gr would probably be better suited for hunting.

Which general discussion of arbitrary idosynrcies of Md Regs , is one of the reasons that for 20yrz+ I have done my handgun hunting in Va , where it's 4in bbls , and 350ftlb for handguns. While my pistol preferences generally have quite a bit more than 350ftlb , the accuraccy is quite fine with 4in , 5in , 5.5in , etc bbls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom