• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    You want the purest expression of personal defensive firearms perfection ever created. Gods gift to gunnies, through the genius of Holy St. John Moses Browning.
    You need a 1911.

Interesting, definately has some strong points against the million brads of Phillipines guns. But then he talks well of the STI, which side by side is almost identical to the RIA match. Hmmmm That said, I guess we are all entitled to our opinion and review often relates to expectations and intended use.

"Only one quality 1911 manufacturer offers a basic model at a much lower price point than their main line; STI, a small volume semi-custom maker. Their "Spartan" model, is a reasonably well featured 1911, made with offshore parts (Phillipine), but still high quality fitting and good quality control; and selling for $660 list (or around $600 retail)."

aspade

Sep 27, 2008
    No matter what you do though, the first thing you should do when you get the gun broken in, is buy a couple of higher power main springs (from Wolff for example), and use the heaviest one that your weapon will cycle reliably with.

Generally speaking, fully ramped barrels are stronger, and feed better, so I prefer them; but some do not (I'm not sure why, other than perhaps traditionalism).

Some questionable advice there.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Well, he is incorrct about the offshore parts. STI contracts the slide,frame and barrel materials and specifications to the Phillipino producer. STI supplies the remainder of the parts (STI's parts) to the offshore company for the balance of production. Then STI quality control checks and tweaks them here in the States before shipping to distributors. All this from the CEO of STI International s few years ago in American Handgunner magazine.

That is probably why somr of the RIA guns are so closely built - trickle down effect.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I laughed out loud:

"1. Discount 1911s: These are usually made in the Phillipines. Examples include Rock Island, Charles Daly etc... In general I would say avoid them.

Some people will rave all day about the excellent deal they got and how their gun was perfect etc... Unfortunately anecdote does not equal data; and from working in gunshops and doing gunsmith work, I can tell you that far more people have been very unhappy with their cut rate 1911s, than those who have been happy."

This is a quote from the article, berating anecdotal evidence then giving you his own anecdotes as data. I was amused.

Last edited:

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    I laughed out loud:

"1. Discount 1911s: These are usually made in the Phillipines. Examples include Rock Island, Charles Daly etc... In general I would say avoid them.

Some people will rave all day about the excellent deal they got and how their gun was perfect etc... Unfortunately anecdote does not equal data; and from working in gunshops and doing gunsmith work, I can tell you that far more people have been very unhappy with their cut rate 1911s, than those who have been happy."

This is a quote from the article, berating anecdotal evidence then giving you his own anecdotes as data. I was amused.

There are many long time gun smiths who will disagree with you on this statement. I personally have a ria and have not had a problem and was told that these are some of the best entry 1911's out there.

Along

Mar 14, 2011
    St Mary's
    I had been thinking about one of them budget 1911s, but here is another anecdote for you. Recently took a basic 1911 armor's class, I wanted to learn a little more about the pistol. There were five in the class, 2 Kimbers, 1 Colt (me), one Grisan, and the Master's Gunsmith's apprentice working on a titanium custom (I don't know why). The guy with the Girsan, really liked it, though he has only been to the range once and field stripped it. It looked nice, polished stainless, first impression was pretty good, especially for a sub $600 1911. The fit wasn't the greatest, but wasn't bad.
    Then we got into the detailed stripping. The owner couldn't take it apart himself. Not because of any incompetence, but because of the fit. Most of the pin holes were missed aligned. Even the smith couldn't disassemble it with just punches and a light mallet. He had his apprentice take it to a back room to disassemble it. While we continued with the class we were serenaded with hammer blows for the rest of class. The smith provided a pistol for my classmate to continue with. The apprentice also had to reassemble it. The mainspring housing pin and the hammer pin were to worst. Instead of building the frame to 'spec' they just forced the pins with extra pressure.
    Anywho, I decided I was probably going to stay away from the budget 1911s.
    Yes, this was a sample size of one, so it should be taken with a grain of salt. In general with internet reviews and posts, I try to think about what experience does the poster have with the platform, with firearms in general, how much have they actually used it. Far too many people have the "well it never happened to me, so that can't be right" or the "mine was like this so they all must be" points of view.

Along

Mar 14, 2011
    St Mary's
    I do appreciate the line in the article about not purchasing a budget 1911 unless it is a second or third pistol. I would go farther by saying, someone who will not take the time to learn and shoot their pistol should not buy any 1911 for their first pistol or for HD.
    I realize many will disagree, that's fine, this is just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom