$71.00 FOR 2012-2013 MD HUNTING LICENSE...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    <rant>

Sorry guys, but I've written MD off in regards to hunting. Given that most of the areas (mom's property, family friends property, etc...) I can hunt deer are south of I-70/US-40, I can only use a muzzle loader. Kind of poses a problem when I have done rifle hunting my entire life in the backwoods of Morgan County, WV. As part owner of a part of property in WV, I can hunt there without a permit, with a rifle or shotgun or muzzle loader if I choose to do so. FWIW I don't have a muzzle loader, nor do I intend to buy one any time in the near future. Unfortunately for MD the most they will ever see out of me for being a MD resident is the cost of a fishing license w/trout stamp.

The age old story continues to go in Maryland that they will keep raising taxes, fees, assessments, etc... because they don't see what is outside of the I-95 corridor (D.C., Annapolis, Baltimore), that unlike those in metropolitan areas or built up areas, the hunters do have a budget to continue perfecting their craft in a sport they love. When the people in the statehouse take the time to see that hunters use hunting season(s) as a way to provide for themselves and also pass along knowledge to younger generations about self reliance, they will probably keep the fees for licenses right where they are, and/or offer lifetime hunting/fishing permits like WV does. When I go hunting, if I harvest an animal, I eat what I kill. I hunt for sport and food, not trophy.

When we hunt we are actually playing a part in wildlife conservation efforts too. We thin the herds, keep the populations in check, ensure that there will be plenty of animals to harvest for generations to come. We aren't a bunch of rednecks that go out in the woods to get drunk and shoot at anything that moves, like the legislature tends to stereotype us. We are responsible, upstanding citizens that want nothing more to enjoy the outdoor sports within the boundaries of MD in peace.

</end rant>

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Well, real circle shooting costs between $3 and $9 a round (25 birds) depending on where you go. With shells, I probably spend about $5000 a year not including guns for them little orange circles.
    And I can't even eat them.

No complaints. I just don't think the hunting fees as quoted are that high. It's a sport and a hobby.

I will have to apologize on one account. I assumed you were talking about those little orange circles called stick on crosshair targets. Your post wasn't clear enough to state a direction towards clays.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    <rant>

Sorry guys, but I've written MD off in regards to hunting. Given that most of the areas (mom's property, family friends property, etc...) I can hunt deer are south of I-70/US-40, I can only use a muzzle loader. Kind of poses a problem when I have done rifle hunting my entire life in the backwoods of Morgan County, WV. As part owner of a part of property in WV, I can hunt there without a permit, with a rifle or shotgun or muzzle loader if I choose to do so. FWIW I don't have a muzzle loader, nor do I intend to buy one any time in the near future. Unfortunately for MD the most they will ever see out of me for being a MD resident is the cost of a fishing license w/trout stamp.

The age old story continues to go in Maryland that they will keep raising taxes, fees, assessments, etc... because they don't see what is outside of the I-95 corridor (D.C., Annapolis, Baltimore), that unlike those in metropolitan areas or built up areas, the hunters do have a budget to continue perfecting their craft in a sport they love. When the people in the statehouse take the time to see that hunters use hunting season(s) as a way to provide for themselves and also pass along knowledge to younger generations about self reliance, they will probably keep the fees for licenses right where they are, and/or offer lifetime hunting/fishing permits like WV does. When I go hunting, if I harvest an animal, I eat what I kill. I hunt for sport and food, not trophy.

When we hunt we are actually playing a part in wildlife conservation efforts too. We thin the herds, keep the populations in check, ensure that there will be plenty of animals to harvest for generations to come. We aren't a bunch of rednecks that go out in the woods to get drunk and shoot at anything that moves, like the legislature tends to stereotype us. We are responsible, upstanding citizens that want nothing more to enjoy the outdoor sports within the boundaries of MD in peace.</end rant>

Well who do you think keeps track of this, keeps track of diseases that spread throughout the animals. Give recommended limits on how much we should consume. If you truly think the state setting limits has had nothing to do with the deer population you are blind. There are PLENTY of poachers in maryland and you dont have to be a "redneck" to be classified as one. Anyone hunting without a license, killing more then their limit etc is a poacher and is hurting it for everyone.

Like I said before if the money goes to research, creating and maintaining jobs within the hunting society then i will gladly pay. It is insane that the price has remained the same for 15+ years. Everyone is so quick to complain about money and increases but they expect everything to be perfect, they expect Natural Resources Police to come running at the snap of a figner but refuse to pony up the money to support their jobs, hence why NRP is stretched so thin across the state.

If you truly hunt for survival and food you would be the first to know that $70 for say a possible 1,000lbs of red meat a year is nothing at all.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I agree, hunters have no problem going otu and spending $150 on a camo jacket but cry over 70 a year. I love hunting and there isnt much that would stop me from hunting, and paying 70 for a license certainly would not.

My license has been $83.00 total for everything for the past several years anyway. The real issue is, MD DNR is well known for taking hunting license fees and building boat ramps, Hunters don't need boat ramps.

While the Fishing / Crabbing license fees all go to the Chesapeake Bay.

Then there's the millions of dollars that go to things that are not related to either Hunting or Fishing. I don't paying extra if it's actually needed, but, putting my extra money towards something it's not benefiting my purposes is the problem.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    My license has been $83.00 total for everything for the past several years anyway. The real issue is, MD DNR is well known for taking hunting license fees and building boat ramps, Hunters don't need boat ramps.While the Fishing / Crabbing license fees all go to the Chesapeake Bay.

Then there's the millions of dollars that go to things that are not related to either Hunting or Fishing. I don't paying extra if it's actually needed, but, putting my extra money towards something it's not benefiting my purposes is the problem.

Waterfowl hunting is a HUGE part of maryland hunting especially on the eastern shore. Boat ramps definetly play a role in hunting. Hell there are public duck blinds on Hart Miller Island. Need a boat ramp to get there!

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    I' be a little more easy going about paying higher licensing fees if I could actully see a DNR officer during firearms season near public land, instead of one while I am in the middle of a lake fishing with my two kids and they stop to ask me if I have my registration for my rowboat. Nothing like leaving a hunting area, and seeing 6 half butchered carcasses roadside with 2/3 of the meat still on them (wanton waste). While we are at it, hey, Aquaman, can you have your field FTO's stop training your rookies that a rowboat requires a license?

Some of us are regular Dad's who are trying to teach their kids a respect for nature.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    If hunters have to pay to use public lands, others like hikers, bikers, horseback riders, dog walkers, should have to as well.

Some of the midwestern states, this is done via the purchase of a "parking permit". If there is no parking sticker attached to the windshield, you may not enter the park. It would be good to see a few mountainbikers actually pay for building birms on the trails to "enhnce" their biking experience while driving the deer away during archery season.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Hunters and trappers are the front line in discovering when something is awry with the ecosystem, NOT DNR officers who mostly hassle boat owners with fishing rods. We also see where major poaching is occuring, but try getting a DNR officer out when it's actually happening. They are also not all too friendly, when they should bend over backwards to those of us who do good and are willing to report major disturbances. Instead they act like we are the offenders and can royally tick some of us off. I have many observations of things in nature over the years, but nobody wants to listen to me. And because I think outside the box and say it like it is, I don't even have the support of the MD Furtrappers.

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    The argument that other states pay higher fee's so people hunting in MD should pay more is gay.

The thing that irritated me was how the DNR tried slamming this bill through on short notice. Ive lost alot of respect for the DNR over the last year.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    ALL: as shooters we should be concerned even if it isn't "our" thing. Like any government fee / tax, the politicians will raid the coffers and spend it elsewhere. I live on a farm and near many farmers who complain about too many deer. Several of our hunt club members WERE from Delaware. The proposed cost of the out of state license hikes caused them to depart.

I'm tired of everyone who is supposedly on the same side bashing each other when the real enemy is the huge blob of a government that continues to consume our wealth.

Rant over.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    the real enemy is the huge blob of a government that continues to consume our wealth.

YUP. And their only solution is to raise fees, never to streamline and increase productivity w/ fewer resources, just like the private sector has been learning about for years.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    For 2 deer, and much fewer waterfowl opportunities, I think it's in line with PA:

Resident hunting $20.70
    Archery $16.70
    Muzzleloader $11.70
    Res Mig Gamebird $3.70
    1 Anterless tag $6.70
    Total $59.50

But why not charge this much if people are willing to pay thousands for land leases? While I don't like the increase either, hunting is becoming cost prohibitive because private land-owners and farmers, who used to allow hunting for a few work days (or even to just keep the deer from eating their crops) have figured out they can rightfully get the elite few to pay thousands for the same privileges.

$95 to hunt is on crowded public land is too much, but IMHO, for an individual who had ample access to hunting land, $95 would be a steal given the opportunities in the state.

Yeah, it would be in line with PA considering the MD bag limits. You guys actually have it pretty good as far as your licensing cost per limit.

Oh, and FYI. Your muzzleloader and archery stamps only grant you permission to use your antlered tag during those seasons or an antlerless tag if you purchased one. No matter what season you are hunting in PA, you only get ONE buck and if you shoot that buck during archery then you aint deer hunting anymore unless you have a doe tag to fill. Doe tags are also WMU specific and each WMU has different regs as to when you can shoot a doe. During firearms season in the WMU I hunt you can only shoot a doe the second week of the season. Confused yet?

Attachments

• license fees.jpg
      license fees.jpg
      95.8 KB · Views: 95

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Don't forget the new income tax rates that went into effect 1 July and are retroactive. You will see a smaller paycheck. What a great place to live.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    ... hunting is becoming cost prohibitive because private land-owners and farmers, who used to allow hunting for a few work days (or even to just keep the deer from eating their crops) have figured out they can rightfully get the elite few to pay thousands for the same privileges.

Farmers HAVE TO charge for hunting leases because of HIGH PROPERTY TAXES. This is the case for us & our neighbors. There is no getting rich.

Again, our "BLOB" of a government consumes too much.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    If you hunt on your own property, still don't need a license right?
    Unless you are hunting Migratory waterfowl which means you still need the Federal Waterfowl stamp ($15.00). I think I might just "not" hunt this year.

Horseshit...everyone knows Fees are Taxes right Marty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom