• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    I spent some time today cleaning up the "gun area" and reorganizing my ammo fort. I am currently sitting on +/- 15,000 rounds of various ammo, mostly 5.56 and .22 LR, with some copious amounts of .45 ACP, 9mm, 7.62X54R, 7.5X55 Swiss, and .303 British in the mix.
    I consider myself an "average" gun owner, and have been thinking, with what I know I have on hand and with what I have seen on both ends of the "extreme" (guys who think that 15K rounds is weak or a guy with 500 or so rounds for his hunting guns) I think that if Sen. Feinstein and the rest of the Antis actually knew what was actually "out there" they might have a heart attack...:)
    What does every one else think...?

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    I spent some time today cleaning up the "gun area" and reorganizing my ammo fort. I am currently sitting on +/- 15,000 rounds of various ammo, mostly 5.56 and .22 LR, with some copious amounts of .45 ACP, 9mm, 7.62X54R, 7.5X55 Swiss, and .303 British in the mix.
    I consider myself an "average" gun owner, and have been thinking, with what I know I have on hand and with what I have seen on both ends of the "extreme" (guys who think that 15K rounds is weak or a guy with 500 or so rounds for his hunting guns) I think that if Sen. Feinstein and the rest of the Antis actually knew what was actually "out there" they might have a heart attack...:)

The anti's would shit their pants. I prob only have 2k rounds on hand, but if you make each round count...

The libs really ought to be thanking us, because the average gun owners in this country with a few thousand rounds on hand are the exact reason America never gets invaded. A foreign country simply could not form a stronghold in America because the civilian population has too much fire power. So the next time someone asks why you need an assault rifle, remind them that there's a reason china hasn't come to collect...

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I dont have any ammo all my firearms have been converted to launch wet balls of toilet paper .

Watch out for the brown and yellow rounds they are special :D

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    average

I would think the average gun owner has only 1-2 firearms and very limited (perhaps a box of 50) rounds of ammo, unless they are hunters, collectors, etc.. I have read that in cities most people with handguns have them for self defense as opposed to sporting, target practice, hunting, etc.. * and have never fired them.

*except Charles Bronson :lol2:

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    I would say none of us here are average. Those involved is type format are probally no where near average in firearm ownership, safety and inventory.

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    I try to keep 1000+ on each caliber of hand gun ammo, 100+ for the shottys and about the same of 303 British. With the weather it will be mostly hand gun for the next month or 2 but i am keeping a very close eye on prices and availability.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I think that if the powers to be had any idea real knowledge about us they would be in hiding or kicking in our doors. Only time will tell what they try to do. In Maryland I fear that if the feds don't go at us hard enough that Marty O will.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I haven't cracked the concrete in my basement yet, so I don't have enough.

Or I just have really good concrete...

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    20,000+ and I feel like I should be buying more and after I shoot on a weekend I feel like I have empty pockets.:) and i think I'm weird for wanting more.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Like stated earlier in this thread, I think we are unusual. I don't think the average gun owner starts to panic when they get down to their last couple of thousand rounds. I think the average gun owner has a box or two for each gun that they own.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Like stated earlier in this thread, I think we are unusual. I don't think the average gun owner starts to panic when they get down to their last couple of thousand rounds. I think the average gun owner has a box or two for each gun that they own.

^This.

My father is more of the 'average' - maybe 100 to 200 rounds per caliber.

I walk a diff't path in that respect since I normally go thru a few hundred rounds every range trip.

Dec 31, 2012
    Currently down to a few thousands and with lack of availabilty and prices I may have to remain that way for awhile, at least until the panic buying is over.
    As was said and I agree, those reading and responding are not likely to be typical firearm owners.
    As well, Martin O Malley is going to be the real problem, not Obama.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    ^This.

My father is more of the 'average' - maybe 100 to 200 rounds per caliber.

I walk a diff't path in that respect since I normally go thru a few hundred rounds every range trip.

OK, I'll fess up.

My wife makes a point not to look in the ammo cabinet--wants to maintain plausible deniability.

As a rule of thumb, I look to keep at least 1000 per handgun caliber, plus "sufficient" long gun ammo for recreation use, plus a little SHTF...:innocent0

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Currently down to a few thousands and with lack of availabilty and prices I may have to remain that way for awhile, at least until the panic buying is over.
    As was said and I agree, those reading and responding are not likely to be typical firearm owners.
    As well, Martin O Malley is going to be the real problem, not Obama.

I feel like I never have enough.

Welcome to the site, although your screen name is a little bit disturbing :sad20:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I would not post what I have If they are watching they have your IP address They will just come by and take it Thank you very much Sir

To misquote a line from "Jaws" - They're going to need a bigger truck... :innocent0

They may have my IP address, and they may know my home address, but they sure as hell don't know what quantity's I store in one particular location.

They may get some in that scenario, but they won't get it all... ;)

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Yeah,....too bad I don't hagve the ,money right now, cause I have seen se=veral hundred rounds of .40 9mm, and .45 from time to time at diff walmarts. The shelves were EMPTY the other day though...man.....never seen it that empty before.

It is interesting though, I would love to have about 1000-1500 of each of those, about 1500 5.56/.223 and maybe 5000-7500 .22lr's for my ideal normal circumstance round count. But then, you go out 2-3x and shoot, say pistol, and it is easy to use 2-300 just then, and what does that do to the round count after a few months of not buying. NOW...add....the non-existent ammo , which I say is non existant because it is just hoarding, not really a shortage, and then I would love to be able to double or triple that, just to feel safe for a decent supply. BUt...that takes money. Oh well...maybe I will just be shooting .22lr for a bit, but then...I have not seen ANY of these for sale lately, except the .22magnums, which I do not own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom