• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    A friend has a 1979 Hi Power he will sell to me. We have no idea the value. He bought it in 2014 used, but it was claimed to be unfired. A couple hundred rounds through it now. I haven't touched it, but based on pictures, it looks fantastic. Any ball park on values? Gun broker past sales is all over the place. I don't know enough about Hi Power's to know what would increase the price or lower it. I want to be fair to both of us.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I'm guessing between $1200-$1500. That's a bit of a range to deal with but it depends on finish, sights, etc. Browning discontinued the Hi Power several years ago due to worn out tooling and low sales and values have increased some due to that. While they're not rare and there's plenty of clones on the market...a real Belgium-made Browning is a thing of beauty. I may be a 1911 guy but I believe the Hi Power is the most elegant handgun design ever.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The examples with T and C prefixes go for a premium. (The T series was described as being the finest Hi Powers ever made, and people pay outrageous sums for as-new pistols). If it's really clean a grand wouldn't be out of line, though I've managed to keep well below that figure, accepting cosmetic flaws.

The pistol being discontinued pushed the price point upward, though there are literally millions of these pistols out there.

Despite their being single-action, they're about my favorite 9mm. Nice balance makes them feel smaller than they are. My preference is for examples with the ring hammer. Magazine safety makes for a really ugly trigger pull, but it's easily removed.

Have you shot one? The grip is on the large side.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    The examples with T and C prefixes go for a premium. (The T series was described as being the finest Hi Powers ever made, and people pay outrageous sums for as-new pistols). If it's really clean a grand wouldn't be out of line, though I've managed to keep well below that figure, accepting cosmetic flaws.

The pistol being discontinued pushed the price point upward, though there are literally millions of these pistols out there.

Despite their being single-action, they're about my favorite 9mm. Nice balance makes them feel smaller than they are. My preference is for examples with the ring hammer. Magazine safety makes for a really ugly trigger pull, but it's easily removed.

Have you shot one? The grip is on the large side.

Where would I find the prefix?

I haven't shot it, but I held one and it seemed fine size wise.

I believe this one has an adjustable rear sight. He paid $1250 for it in 2014 as allegedly in unfired. It is no longer unfired.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    download (2).jpeg

Seriously, even if it's a Portuguese built HP, buy it. The BHP snobs will tell you that if it's not Belgian than it's not worth but the Portos and FN-USA pistols are very good quality and great shooters.

Next to the 1911A1, BHP's are the last and one of JMB's greatest designs. If JMB lived, I would dare say he would have redesigned the BHP for 45 ACP to replace the 1911.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Oh I'm definitely buying it, I just want to pay him a fair price. He's a friend and neither of us really know what it's worth. It is Begian made.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Oh I'm definitely buying it, I just want to pay him a fair price. He's a friend and neither of us really know what it's worth. It is Begian made.

You can always offer him the “Right of First Refusal” to ensure you both have agreed to a good price.

You buy the gun from him for an agreed price and if you ever want to sell it then you have to offer the pistol to him first for the original agreed price plus $1, Steak Dinner or Bottle of your favorite whiskey. If he doesn’t want it back then you’re free to sell it on the open market at any price.

YMMV but it always worked for me and my inner circle to ensure no hurt feelings or resentment over deals. Had one guy break his promise so his money was never green enough ever again for me or within our group.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    $1200 would be a good price at this time. I have 3 and love each one. 13 rounders can easily be altered to hold 14. There basically isn't another mag that works in Hi Powers. MecGar made the mags FN/Browning supplied with the guns.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    My late father was a hi power lover. First handgun he ever owned. He had 3 upon his death...1 for each of his sons...I treasure that handgun. We even had a pretty rare hi power...all black and chambered in .30 luger. Only 1500 imported into the US. Miss that gun...

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    $1,200 is a fair price right now. Hard to believe how much these have increased in value over the last year.

I have 2 now, a 1951 and a 2001. Such great pistols

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I saw one at the BCGF show in really good condition that sold for 850. Two tone from the mid 90's. Asking price was grand and the lady ended up selling lower. It was a really pretty HP. I think she was selling off her deceased dad's collection

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Some of the later ones had alloy frames. I don't think I'd want one of those.

No real info just saying.

Jul 1, 2012
    The $1200 number seems pretty fair.
    Blue Book (recent updates) straddles that for 98% and 100% condition.
    If it has the adjustable tangent sight though, you can almost double that.

Attachments

• bhp.PNG
      bhp.PNG
      5.8 KB · Views: 308
    • DSC_1187 - Copy.JPG
      DSC_1187 - Copy.JPG
      31 KB · Views: 298

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    It doesn't appear to have any of those features. I guess I should post the pictures he sent me.

Attachments

• 36968.jpeg
      36968.jpeg
      65.3 KB · Views: 289
    • 36967.jpeg
      36967.jpeg
      79.2 KB · Views: 284

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Real info

Some of the later ones had alloy frames. I don't think I'd want one of those.

No real info just saying.

There is nothing wrong with the light weight alloy framed Hi Powers. They were done right and are durable.

One of mine is an alloy frame

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom