Colt reintroduces the .44 Magnum Anaconda...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Whether there was negotiations between Colt and CZ for an extended period I don't know...but the Anaconda was on the long term list when Colt began planning new lines of revolvers some time back. The action of the Cobra which was released in 2017 was designed to be "scale-able" that could be scaled up as necessary for a family of revolver frame sizes. They started with a .38 Special small frame and as sales and public reception was gauged Colt began releasing further models.

Whether the new Colt revolver line brought CZ interest or CZ interest brought the revolvers is maybe like asking which came first...the chicken or the egg. Personally...I believe CZ was interested more in Colt's M16/M4 military and government sales and wanted into that market. Buying Colt was probably easier than designing and building that type of firearm from scratch and breaking into the market...Colt's already in that market with a well established customer base and distribution net.

Besides...the deal hasn't completed yet. I doubt if there's been any infusion of CZ money yet besides letters of agreements still dependent on government approvals.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Bought an 8” Colt Anaconda last night.
    Can’t wait to take her home.

Attachments

• 7AD07214-E558-43E5-A39E-CF57C349FF53.jpeg
      7AD07214-E558-43E5-A39E-CF57C349FF53.jpeg
      45.5 KB · Views: 98

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have both an 8" and 6" new Anacondas...the 6" balances better...that 8" tube really puts the weight out front and helps dampen recoil though.

I'm waiting for a 4.25" Anaconda and hopefully one in .454 Casull.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have both an 8" and 6" new Anacondas...the 6" balances better...that 8" tube really puts the weight out front and helps dampen recoil though.

I'm waiting for a 4.25" Anaconda and hopefully one in .454 Casull.
    You may be the best person to ask. How do you think the new offerings compare to the classic snake guns?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    You may be the best person to ask. How do you think the new offerings compare to the classic snake guns?

In my admittedly limited experience...I think they're better than the originals. They're not hand finished like the earlier Colts but they don't need to be. Modern fabrication and assembly methods are much superior...plus the steels Colt is using is much superior to the previous steels due to metallurgical advances.

I tested my 6" 2020 Python up against a 1960 6" Python I have...identical Pachmayr grips on each and ammunition from the same box. The 1960 Python was quite accurate...but the 2020 model was even more consistent and shot smaller groups. That could be the difference between two different revolvers...I don't know the round count on the older version compared to a new model. I can only say what they did for me in my hands.

I will say the trigger guard on some of the new Colts is less than aesthetically appealing to my eyes...but they do the job they're intended for...gloved hands and was necessary anyway to to the new trigger geometry.

The original Anaconda has an extremely strong action...made to stand up to virtually unlimited use of full power magnums. The new Anaconda is still an unknown quantity regarding that but promises to be at least as strong...better steels and testing has shown them to show no wear or loosening of tolerances after 15k rounds of full power loads. I think using grips interchangeable with the Python is a big plus...the world opens up for aftermarket grips compared to the old model.

Is the MSRP on each new model worth it? That depends on what you want. There are many make handguns that will do the job for less...so if you're about the dollars more than anything that's fine. I have some older snake guns I enjoy...Cobras, Pythons and Anacondas...still loving them. The issue there is if any would ever require parts which is a problem to be addressed...but unless you really use them heavily all the time that's unlikely to be an issue.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    In my admittedly limited experience...I think they're better than the originals. They're not hand finished like the earlier Colts but they don't need to be. Modern fabrication and assembly methods are much superior...plus the steels Colt is using is much superior to the previous steels due to metallurgical advances.

I tested my 6" 2020 Python up against a 1960 6" Python I have...identical Pachmayr grips on each and ammunition from the same box. The 1960 Python was quite accurate...but the 2020 model was even more consistent and shot smaller groups. That could be the difference between two different revolvers...I don't know the round count on the older version compared to a new model. I can only say what they did for me in my hands.

I will say the trigger guard on some of the new Colts is less than aesthetically appealing to my eyes...but they do the job they're intended for...gloved hands and was necessary anyway to to the new trigger geometry.

The original Anaconda has an extremely strong action...made to stand up to virtually unlimited use of full power magnums. The new Anaconda is still an unknown quantity regarding that but promises to be at least as strong...better steels and testing has shown them to show no wear or loosening of tolerances after 15k rounds of full power loads. I think using grips interchangeable with the Python is a big plus...the world opens up for aftermarket grips compared to the old model.

Is the MSRP on each new model worth it? That depends on what you want. There are many make handguns that will do the job for less...so if you're about the dollars more than anything that's fine. I have some older snake guns I enjoy...Cobras, Pythons and Anacondas...still loving them. The issue there is if any would ever require parts which is a problem to be addressed...but unless you really use them heavily all the time that's unlikely to be an issue.
    Thanks for the great review. I have a few snake guns that get limited use, but are very nice to shoot. I may pick up a couple. I’d shoot them all the time.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    MSRP is $1499...they are starting to show up for that with sellers like MidwayUSA, Duke's Sport Shop and some others but they sell out quick. The new Colt King Cobra Target .22 is going to sucking up all the sales oxygen for a while most likely.

CMSGT

BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2022
    Has anyone installed glass on the new Anaconda model? If so what did you settle for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom