• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Actually, I said not a thing about suggesting a pistol.
    All those who lack in reading comprehension suggesting something other than TWO choices the op asked about.

And yes. I'm pretty much always right when it comes to self defense shooting.

What's your life expertise? Are you good and experienced at anything?

Btw, your uncle's wife doesn't know how to do a malfunction drill under stress

It's not always what someone thinks they like It's what is the easiest under stress. But you don't know that.

I practiced malfunction drills with her that were timed. Slap rack bang. Assess, clear, fire. She did pretty well, still needs some work but it's her first pistol. Again you don't know what you’re talking about. Chill with the condescension.

Last edited:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I have 2 Taurus,, one a Mod 85 Ultra lite 38 and a Mod 82M both were bought used and both have had at least 400 rounds each put through them.. Zero problems

I used to have a Taurus 85 years ago- it was my first .38 revolver. Shot every time, my comment on it would be it always felt generally loose and even audibly rattled a little when shaken. The Ruger SP101 I replaced it with is solid as a rock and and I’d recommend that or the aforementioned S&W options before a Taurus. I still have my larger frame Taurus .44sp Revolver and would say about the same about that one compared to say a Ruger or Smith.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I have a Taurus 605 and an RIA M200. They are both good guns. The RIA 200 gets exceptional reviews on YouTube. I don't know the 206, but I can't imagine it is somehow of a lower quality.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    S&W 642 Airweight if you are going with a .38.

The Smith is only $100 more than the Taurus and the best part it's not a Taurus

Ruger SP101 for .357

Amen!
    I have a 642-1 that has been nothing but enjoyment since I bought it. The DAO is predictable and repeatable. I’d definitely try to save a little more and pick something that is going to protect your life with every trigger press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    All said and done looks like either one of these will cost me $370.00
    Good names in a detective gun are over 800.00

A medium cal revolver is a very good choice for a person unused to firearms

If she wants something heavier the 1911 is not out of reach

No way in the world I'd even consider paying $370 for either of those choices...MSRP on the RIA is only $283

I actually own one of these Rock Island M206 38 special snubbies...and also specifically got it for the wife. I told her she NEEDED something other than a 22 for HD if I died before her. She said she wanted a 38 SNUBBY, lol...

I bought it from JLowes for 200 bucks, brand new. That's honestly about all it's worth...200 bucks. Mine will intermittently not function, like the trigger itself disconnects from the firing pin or something.

My wife had only shot her Ruger Mark II (22LR) prior to the snubby.

Myself, I prefer to shoot a 45 in Glock or Springfield, as I like the noise and the kick. My first shot out of this 38 surprised me. It is VERY snappy, with even basic WalMart ammo.

She literally fired ONE ROUND, sat it down and said, "EFF that thing, if you die, I'll buy a GD dog!", LMAO :lol2:

My son, inherited an old nickel plated S&W 38 (double action only, No idea of what model), and it's nowhere near as snappy.

Also, the RIA is HEAVY for what it is. Very poor finish as well. Only reason I've never sold it is because it's a POS...

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Hi. What kind of accuracy can you get with it? I had thought you needed to make contact with a hypothetical person to use it? Thanks!

I have a colt detective special and a S&W chief special. I usually shoot them at 7-10 yards and get groups. They're pretty accurate with the hammer cocked. If I shoot double action the groups open up. I've never shot it past indoor range distances that max at 25yds

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Hi. What kind of accuracy can you get with it? I had thought you needed to make contact with a hypothetical person to use it? Thanks!

I have a colt detective special and a S&W chief special. I usually shoot them at 7-10 yards and get groups. They're pretty accurate with the hammer cocked. If I shoot double action the groups open up. I've never shot it past indoor range distances that max at 25yds

Personally, I love it. I'm same at the 7-10 or so and would agree with the above statement.

It's a hell of a fun gun to shoot too. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
    If I only had 1 gun it would not be what I would buy. If I only had 1 gun it would probably be a glock 19
    If I only had 2 guns it would be a glock 19 and an ar in that order.
    TBH, I'm not really a pistol guy. I like rifles much more, but each have a purpose and a place they excel over the other.
    I don't have any guns anymore though;-)

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ

When I was restricted to revolvers when a LEO I would usually carry either a Colt Detective Special or Cobra off-duty. I never qualified with the Dick Special lower than 285 out of 300 on the qualification course. With the Cobra I would often score a bit lower...less weight translates to more felt recoil and my scores would often reflect that.

For across the room use...accuracy is less important than controllability...and the accuracy is more than sufficient.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I want the piece for my wife,
    I want a wheel gun, i would go with a smith,ruger or a colt
    But what I find is either too old or too expensive
    Well, since you have to choose one, I'd go with a TAURUS. I stopped buying them in the 1980s when I bought two gorgeous model 66s. I loved the polished finishes of the guns, but when I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, I checked them by dropping a 125gr. JHP bullet into each chamber. On all six chambers the bullets just fell through onto the table.

Taurus did that on two guns. They just drilled holes in the cylinder with no throats. I'd check the lock-up, barrel/cylinder gap (.006 (+/-).002), and I'd drop a bullet into each chamber like I did. If any of them fall through, ask to see a different model. I did buy several Rossi M88s that were terrific and still have one for my drawer gun. Rossi is now owned by Taurus, so you have to check those out. But consider Rossi as well. They may be better than Taurus. Worth considering.

Rossi M88. It's a superb revolver. If you can find one
    imported by Interarms in the 80s, but it if it's in good shape!

I not only don't own a Taurus, I've never fired one. Is the quality control really that bad with them or is did they get this reputation from a manufacturing mistake or two?
    Taurus is working on its reputation, but I will say this. Although the revolvers may not be fantabulous, their PT92/99 Beretta clones are actually better guns than the Beretta. In the 1980s, the PT92/99s were very good, just not quite as accurate as the Berettas. They were acceptable, though, and I got some for some federal agents that were friends of mine (I had an FFL), and everyone thought they were great.

Taurus PT92 AR

Then, in the early 2000s, I got a Taurus PT92 AR in stainless. When I took it to the range, it was flawless as usual, but I found the accuracy was notably improved. Now it's one of my favorite guns. If I had a nickel for each time its jammed, I couldn't buy...well, anything, 'cause it's never jammed, period. And it's got a way better safety! You can carry it cocked and locked (which the Beretta can't) or double action; and you can drop the hammer on a live round like the Beretta. So even though the Taurus revolvers aren't great, the Beretta clones are great. I think Beretta was nuts to sell their tooling and Beretta-trained staff to Taurus, because you can buy a Beretta at a fraction of the price.

--

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    One more thing. If you find an old but fully functional Ruger Security-Six/Speed-Six, you might go for that. I've seen some that look like they've spent about a half hour in a clothes dryer. They look rough, but they've had bright bores and tight lock-ups. You can even send one off to get a hard chrome finish. For a nominal fee they'll even polish it before refinishing. I recommend Mahovsky's Metalife.

I had this Beretta 70S hard chromed and many people ask
    me about how I got one in stainless. It was a popular model.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Snubbies made by S&W are usually more accurate than their operators. I find they shoot to point of aim with 158 gr bullets, at reasonable distances. I imagine other makers are similar.

Then there's the "belly guns" you allude to . . .

Attachments

• Fitz Special.jpg
      Fitz Special.jpg
      125.2 KB · Views: 152
    • Fitz 2.jpg
      Fitz 2.jpg
      71.6 KB · Views: 147
    May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Well, since you have to choose one, I'd go with a TAURUS. I stopped buying them in the 1980s when I bought two gorgeous model 66s. I loved the polished finishes of the guns, but when I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, I checked them by dropping a 125gr. JHP bullet into each chamber. On all six chambers the bullets just fell through onto the table.

Taurus did that on two guns. They just drilled holes in the cylinder with no throats. I'd check the lock-up, barrel/cylinder gap (.006 (+/-).002), and I'd drop a bullet into each chamber like I did. If any of them fall through, ask to see a different model. I did buy several Rossi M88s that were terrific and still have one for my drawer gun. Rossi is now owned by Taurus, so you have to check those out. But consider Rossi as well. They may be better than Taurus. Worth considering.

Rossi M88. It's a superb revolver. If you can find one
    imported by Interarms in the 80s, but it if it's in good shape!

Taurus is working on its reputation, but I will say this. Although the revolvers may not be fantabulous, their PT92/99 Beretta clones are actually better guns than the Beretta. In the 1980s, the PT92/99s were very good, just not quite as accurate as the Berettas. They were acceptable, though, and I got some for some federal agents that were friends of mine (I had an FFL), and everyone thought they were great.

Taurus PT92 AR

Then, in the early 2000s, I got a Taurus PT92 AR in stainless. When I took it to the range, it was flawless as usual, but I found the accuracy was notably improved. Now it's one of my favorite guns. If I had a nickel for each time its jammed, I couldn't buy...well, anything, 'cause it's never jammed, period. And it's got a way better safety! You can carry it cocked and locked (which the Beretta can't) or double action; and you can drop the hammer on a live round like the Beretta. So even though the Taurus revolvers aren't great, the Beretta clones are great. I think Beretta was nuts to sell their tooling and Beretta-trained staff to Taurus, because you can buy a Beretta at a fraction of the price.

--
    That's great info, thanks for taking the time to share all that. Those pistols look sweet. My first firearm was a Beretta 93FS, always loved the design.

Much appreciated!!

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Go find a Colt Cobra. One thing you should know, if you miss the target, it won't matter as the muzzle blast is so severe, more like a cannon going off, you'll both be deaf or wearing hearing aids for the rest of your life. I'm proof. One in each ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom