• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Beautiful gun Big Bore 94 Winchester Lever .375 Cartridge.
    Proud to own, bought from Greg at REALCO circa 1979 but for whatever reason sold or traded it within 2 or 3 years of ownership.

I think I started seeing at that time ammo wasn't everywhere and I saw the writing on the wall. Paid 200 for it I think brand new, no idea what I got for it. :shrug:

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Wouldn't say I'm sad over it,,
    But wanted a Ruger 96/22 lever .22 rifle forever! I wanted one to put a laminated stock, a heavy 10/22 threaded barrel on for a nice squirrel hunting gun.
    I found a NIB, never fired one at a LGS and bought it without thinking it through.
    Now it sits un touched because I am not wanting to "molest" a NIB gun.
    Wish I waited to find a beater.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Slackdaddy you should drag that 96/22 out and shoot it! I have one and it is a great little gun. Basically a 10/22 with a lever action.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I like collecting a diversity of weapons... I like examining the different designs and approaches... so even the pieces of crap are fairly interesting to me. The only thing that makes me sad is a broken gun that can't be fixed. Even if it isn't safe to shoot or the ammo is unobtanium, I like knowing they still function.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Wouldn't say I'm sad over it,,
    But wanted a Ruger 96/22 lever .22 rifle forever! I wanted one to put a laminated stock, a heavy 10/22 threaded barrel on for a nice squirrel hunting gun.
    I found a NIB, never fired one at a LGS and bought it without thinking it through.
    Now it sits un touched because I am not wanting to "molest" a NIB gun.
    Wish I waited to find a beater.

Guns are made to be shot, if I liked it I would shoot it. To me... that would include a 94 commemorative worth a ton until shot. :o If you like it, shoot it, chances are one of your sons will. ;)

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The worst I can remember was a Universal M1 Carbine back in the '70s...not very accurate and simply did not like it. I traded it for a 1903A3 which I still own. Another gun I was glad to dispose of was a S&W Model 645...a well made, quality pistol but the trigger was excessively heavy and gritty...too large...so-so accuracy...and I simply did not like it.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    The worst I can remember was a Universal M1 Carbine back in the '70s...not very accurate and simply did not like it. I traded it for a 1903A3 which I still own. Another gun I was glad to dispose of was a S&W Model 645...a well made, quality pistol but the trigger was excessively heavy and gritty...too large...so-so accuracy...and I simply did not like it.

I heard nothing but bad BAD on the Universals.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Why is that, Sigs from what I have seen are pretty nice. Both me and wife carry 238's in 380. I did trade in a Beretta in 22, only because I wanted more ass for a carry.
    The Mosquito is infamously ammo picky. The Beretta 71 and 21 are pretty good.

Only gun I genuinely regret buying was a Springfield M1A Scout. Bought it as a pre-ban play, and it was just not that great of a gun compared to everything else I had. Sold it at a loss in the end.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Walther CCP M2 - so glad I dumped. I could not get it to function reliably no matter what.

I know others have had different experiences, but I was so happy when I offloaded that thing on consignment.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Only one. A Savage Model 12 VLP-DBM .308 Damn thing shot like the barrel was bent. Probably was. I sold it to a guy who was aware of the issue. He said he wanted to make it a project gun.

Have no idea how that turned out

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Why is that, Sigs from what I have seen are pretty nice. Both me and wife carry 238's in 380. I did trade in a Beretta in 22, only because I wanted more ass for a carry.

It’s a POS. I know one person who has one that runs reliably, everyone else I’ve ever met/talked to has issues with it. Also kind of sorry I bought a S&W M&P .22 pistol, never liked it so I sold it. Love the center fire M&Ps but the rimfire just didn’t cut it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDsteve410

Feb 16, 2018
    Howard County
    My worst, hands down, in the early 90's I bought a Colt All American 2000 9mm. Still own it today, as a conversation piece, maybe some collectible value, who knows. Definatly not a "shooter".

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

It is not actually made by SIG.

I picked one up from an MDS member who had problems with it.

It looked like it had been run dry.

I cleaned it and lubed it. And it runs fine, but ONLY shooting CCI MiniMags.

It is weird, Winchester M22 fails to extract. HUH??????

Also, the slide release is an awkward location. With a low thumb grip, I engage it and lock the slide back with rounds in the mag. With a high thumb grip, it gets held down and does not lock the slide back when the mag is empty.

Fun little gun. I got it for a super price. But overall, I do not recommend them.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Dunno. Maybe the Mossberg plinkster I owned. Not very accurate (just couldn't get it to shoot better than 2" groups at 50dys). Was very ammo picky. It wasn't tragic and it was an okay first rimfire, but at the price paid, I shoulda paid the like $40 more and just gotten a 10/22 (which I now own). Sold it for what I bought it for, but I'd also tossed in a spare mag I'd gotten, so I think it was like a $20 loss in the end.

Can't say I've regretted any other purchases.

Only other guns I've ever sold was a couple of P64s and a Savage Rascal.

The Savage Rascal was perfect for my kids, but my wife is anti-gun and though she doesn't mind me teaching the kids to shoot, she freaked out that I got a "kid sized gun that is FOR the kids".

I don't try to rationalize it, I just have to deal with it. So sold it off. Took it to the range once, kids never shot it and sold it for what I bought it for. No loss other than my time.

The P64s I got and ended up selling them both for similar issues from the wife. One went because I owned too many guns. If I wanted to buy another gun, well the collection can't grow, so I needed to sell something else off to get a Glock 21. My wife has lightened up some since then. Which mostly just means I've gotta be real picky about what I buy and when. Maybe adding a gun or two a year.

At this point, I doubt my wife is going to let me get another safe, so I've got room to grow my collection maybe another couple of long guns and a few more handguns over the next few years. Though maybe she'll grow as a person and get over it, but probably not till the kids are grown and gone (which is several more years).

Anyway, I liked the P64s, but not enough to keep the one and sell something else. And I really wanted a Glock 21 and Brian had a really nice LE trade in at a good price right as the pandemic was starting, so didn't need to rationalize much there either. I managed to make a little money on both, even with the mags I bought, as I got the pair from SOG right before they closed their doors. I think I made $40 on one and $20 on the other even when factoring in shipping I paid on them and got the cost of the mags back by selling the pair of extras to a buddy at cost.

Fun little pocket guns, but I have stuff I liked more.

Anyway, it has changed my collecting from "hmm, that could be interesting" to "I am positive that one is on my bucket list". I still have some "hmm, that is interesting" guns that I'd get rid of if I needed to, but certainly not guns I regret. I've got an old JC Higgins .410 pump that is adult LOP, but still perfect for my kids as they hit their teens for a squirrel gun. I have a frankenmonster SKS made from a collection of parts and a barreled receiver I haven't shot yet (no hurry, it is complete, but I need chamber gauges to ensure it is GTG before shooting it and I don't have any in x39 right now). Probably refinish it since it is a mix master and the wood is rough (metal is good). I've got a really nice Norinco I'd keep. I wanted it as a project gun and deer rifle and keep the nice Norinco as a range and safe queen (as much as an SKS can be a safe queen). But if I need to make space in my collection, I think I can live with one SKS.

I need/want a nice .223 bolt gun. I need/want a 1903A3. That would pretty much max out my safe unless I got rid of something. I'd also really like another Garand at some point. I'd really like either a 12ga O/U or an old 870 wingmaster (I have a newer 870 that runs just fine, but I want another shotgun with a bit more soul to it and I like having a 2nd shotgun as a loaner when taking friends clay shooting, and/or once my kids are a couple years older and can go with me).

A ton of other long guns I'd LIKE to get, but nothing I can think of I feel like I NEED beyond a .223 bolt gun and 1903a3 (eventually).

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I've had two Charter Arms firearms in my life , A Pathfinder 22 revolver and a AR7 both were JUNK . The revolver wasn't able to get it to stay in time , The AR 7 couldn't hit anything over 10 feet away and would fire a burst now and then.
    Glad to see them go

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    While the Big Bore 94 gun mentioned in my opening statement wasn't junk at all THIS ONE was. I bought a Zastava M57 Tok which I had high hopes for because of the chambering it was a TOTAL jamomatic. I still have the frame and the parts pretty much yielded me what I had into it but I took a bath on the pretty expensive pills it ate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom