• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I favor the idea of armed teachers in schools.

I take no issue with the state providing paid training for those teachers so inclined.

I do not think it's a good idea to attempt to incentivize teachers to carry, by paying them extra to do so.

Padding paychecks isn't what carry is about. One either wants this added responsibility, or they don't.

Discuss.

http://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/local-news/bill-would-up-pay-for-nc-teachers-who-carry-guns

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Wouldn't the subject teachers want to carry some sort of personal liability insurance should they actually have to use their weapons? I would not want to depend on the Board of Ed to protect me. If the PC winds blew the wrong way, I'm sure they'd hang you out to dry.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Apparently, if you choose to do the training, you become a school "resource officer" with arrest powers. While I like the idea of anyone carrying if they are not prohibited and willing to do so, it sounds as though if you are armed under this plan you will be expected to do more than simply use your weapon to potentially stop a shooter. If I was a teacher I would be disinclined to do this because I might end up being called to deal with day-to-day discipline problems another teacher may wish to off-load. Then again, maybe this is simply to shield teachers from the inevitable lawsuits that might come out of this.

https://www.getzone.com/news-nc-bill-would-pay-teachers-more-who-train-carry-guns-in-schools/

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I favor the idea of armed teachers in schools.

I take no issue with the state providing paid training for those teachers so inclined.

I do not think it's a good idea to attempt to incentivize teachers to carry, by paying them extra to do so.

Padding paychecks isn't what carry is about. One either wants this added responsibility, or they don't.

Discuss Ignore.

http://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/local-news/bill-would-up-pay-for-nc-teachers-who-carry-guns
    Who are you, Mr. Chips? :D

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    With great power comes great responsibility, and better pay.

If you are taking on more responsibility (or hazard) in the workplace, you should get paid more. Esp if you are taking specialized training etc. Keep in mind as an armed school resource officer or teacher, you are responsible for many little lives, not simply your own.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I would be in favor of paying teachers to carry. I would only want to pay those who train. How could we incentivize this?

Perhaps hold teacher range days, e.g. competition with prizes and scoring. Teacher must attend two range days a year, minimum.

Could also simply require teachers to take training classes, but I think competition ultimately makes the activity fun and also a good way to measure one's progress.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Given the horrible teacher pay in NC every little bit helps

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Given the horrible teacher pay in NC every little bit helps

Everything should be put in context as far as pay. The media was always whining how WV teachers were the lowest or near lowest pay in the country. But housing/wages overall shows the state is near the bottom, so that would be appropriate that WV teachers wouldn't be paid what N.Y. teachers do for example.
    Didn't want to get off topic. I just don't know if this would create any obligation for a teacher to go above and beyond if something is hitting the fan. They could perhaps declare that any CCW holder is good to go in the classroom and leave it at that.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Apparently, if you choose to do the training, you become a school "resource officer" with arrest powers.
    https://www.getzone.com/news-nc-bill-would-pay-teachers-more-who-train-carry-guns-in-schools/

I don't see where this gives them arrest powers? It just allows trained, armed carry.
    This is no different than FFDOs (Federal Flight Deck Officers) armed pilots in the cockpit. They have ZERO law enforcement authority. Cannot be used outside the flight deck. That is their "bailiwick" per say.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    So what happens when every teacher is carrying because they get more $$ but then all flee when it counts or it wasn't loaded or whatever such nonsense. Hopefully the process will eliminate those that are just after the money and there is some sort of accountability, like random inspections to ensure it is in fact on their person.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So what happens when every teacher is carrying because they get more $$ but then all flee when it counts or it wasn't loaded or whatever such nonsense. Hopefully the process will eliminate those that are just after the money and there is some sort of accountability, like random inspections to ensure it is in fact on their person.

Their pay should be the simple cost of about $400 bucks a year for professional liability insurance.

I mean how MUCH MORE do people think they would get paid?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

My thought also.

Never a good idea to be carrying a gun that you're not absolutely mentally committed to use if necessary. The right mindset IMO, is a survival mindset.

Not a good idea to be potentially more focused on a couple of extra grand, than on just how huge answering this question correctly becomes. That's the case personally, professionally, for those Carolina kids certainly, and across this country generally.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    In any other job, if you take additional training to improve your skills regarding that job, you are usually compensated accordingly.

I see no difference here.

In my opinion the pay differential should be in addition to the administration paying for liability insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom