• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    The slide will lock open on my Kimber Pro Carry every 10 to 15 rounds or so while firing even though it's still has ammo.
    It has around 150 rounds put through it so far, used different mags and 4 types of ammo.
    Any sugestions?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Sounds like the bullet is bumping the slide stop.

Remove and look at the slide stop and the top round in the magazine the next time it happens.

If you see a scratch mark on the side of the bullet of the removed cartridge and bullet metal on the bottom of the slide stop hold open lug, then the bullet it bumping the slide stop when moving up in the magazine.

The slide stop lug then needs to finely and with caution, filed back to clear the feeding round.

It could also be the face of the slide stop where the slide stop plunger rides against it needs to be tuned or have a detent put in it.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    If you purchased it new then get about 500 rounds through to see if that stops, I've had 1911's do some goofy stuff till they were broken in. If it was new and still doing it or you get tired of the annoyance then send it back to Kimber, their customer service was very good when I had to use it.

billprudden

Nov 24, 2008
    Do you shoot other 1911s of the same size / grip dimensions and does this happen?

Let us quickly decide which machine is at fault, you know?

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    I'ts my first and only 1911 but I've shot others in the past, the same thing happened to two other people who have shoot it though.

billprudden

Nov 24, 2008
    the same thing happened to two other people who have shoot it though.

Given how expensive, time-consuming, and potentially non-problem-solving sending it back can be, may I suggest that you swap out the slide release with a buddy's and see what happens? An addtional data point can often be useful.

Glad it is the gun and not you.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom