Which of these 1911 pistols do you prefer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    IMO to think JMB would weep b/c his design evolved after he pasted is funny. I understand it was humor. Yes our troops have carried it for a 100 years. That's awasome. Only reason its in 9mm and .40 and 10mm is b/c of its design. Same as all modern pistols. And modern computers help iron out those changes.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Only problem is those are subjective terms. Not every "improvement" is necessarily a benefit.

Improvement would be a benefit. Perhaps every modification or deviation from design is not an improvement. A beavertail, specific profile, is definitely a benefit for me. A flat top slide...an improvement for those using low profile sights but not for those using taller sights.

And a full length guide rod...

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    IMO to think JMB would weep b/c his design evolved after he pasted is funny. I understand it was humor. Yes our troops have carried it for a 100 years. That's awasome. Only reason its in 9mm and .40 and 10mm is b/c of its design. Same as all modern pistols. And modern computers help iron out those changes.

If you read the entire thread... You would already know that was the intention behind the comment... :shrug: (BTW, pasted = funny. I LOLed)

Actually JMB was going for a .41 caliber when he started the design... But the Military wanted the .45. That's what they got... And that's what they named the M1911.

Feb 28, 2013
    But does value matter? I think the idea is to keep a quality item.

That's true. Problem is, value is based in demand, or what people may THINK is a quality product. Horse manure would be valuable if everybody wanted some. :innocent0

I have to say I like the Springer, because of what a fine shooter my current Springer is. You might remember that one, because I put it in your hand at MSAR last year. :D

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I prefer the Springer as well for a couple reasons. One of those reasons is the frame front strap is just a little thicker and profiled a little different which benefits my shooting.

But I wouldn't turn down the Colt for a gooood price

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    If you really want stainless... Go get a Ruger SR1911... It is a series 70 pistol with a lot of great features and an excellent rep for the pistol and service from Ruger. I have both the full size and the CMD. They are both great shooters. And appointed very nicely from the factory. They are not "Military Grade" lookers as they have features that are add ons for most pistols... But they are damn nice pistols.

Agree, just wish they had a checkered front strap.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Agree, just wish they had a checkered front strap.

That's what a custom gun smith is for. Take it to one and make it your own style. For the initial price point... it is certainly a viable option.

Here is a beautiful example of a pair of custom Rugers...
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2968399&postcount=1080

image.jpg
    SR1911 and SR1911CMD done proud... :thumbsup:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

Twofer

Regular Guy
    Dec 13, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I bought it because it says OPERATOR on it. The features that really picked the MC Operator out for me are:

- Standard GI guide rod (so much easier to disassemble)
    - Match barrel
    - No abrasive texture on the grip
    - Trijicon night sights
    - Ambi safety
    - Green paint
    - Looks badass
    - Is badass

I did have a problem with the gun though. Apparently SA glues the ejectors to the frame, and mine started to walk up to the point of not being able to move the slide. I called SA, was on hold for 2 minutes, spoke to the customer service rep for 30 seconds, and had a shipping label in my email a few minutes later. Had the gun back 8 days later with the ejector pinned in. (Apparently this happens quite a bit, since all I had to say was "ejector".)

A few things about this thread: The Colt everyone thinks of and the Colt of today are two different entities. (Same for SA.) Colt has been on the verge of financial disaster due to mismanagement for decades.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/article...ers-owners-have-led-it-to-crisis-after-crisis

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/05/06/colts-struggling-to-stay-afloat-bankruptcy-looms/

I'd buy the Colt as it's American made...

So's my Springfield. NM serial number.

My other choice of 1911 would be a Sig. They're made in Exeter NH. (But they have the stupid front strap texture that tears the shit out of my hands.)

Attachments

• mcoperator.jpg
      mcoperator.jpg
      115 KB · Views: 124

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads