• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Kicking around the idea of buying one in 223 Remington. Either the American or the Varmint.

Overall impressions on this rifle? Opinions especially on the single set trigger? How bad is that trigger in standard "unset" mode? Trying to get my head around whether I'd love.....or hate.....this trigger. I've never used one.

Primarily a fun gun and range rifle with good barrel life and inexpensive reloads, but it would see some varmint use also.

What say you guys? Thanks!

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    I have the Varmint model in .223. The standard trigger is ok, but I hardly ever use it. I love the set trigger; breathe on it when set and it goes. To set it, you just push the trigger forward, it's then "set". It is capable of much better accuracy than my old eyes can produce. It is one of my favorite rifles.

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    I have the Varmint model in .223. The standard trigger is ok, but I hardly ever use it. I love the set trigger; breathe on it when set and it goes. To set it, you just push the trigger forward, it's then "set". It is capable of much better accuracy than my old eyes can produce. It is one of my favorite rifles.

Like he said, you'll prolly never use the standard trigger once you use the set trigger. It's sah-weet!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have an American. Set trigger is too lite for hunting. The regular trigger is easily adjustable. Lots of info on rimfirecentral.com in CZ forum. I'd keep an eye out for the carbine, hard to find, as it has a 1/9 twist. The American is 1/12 not sure about the Varmint. CZ rifles can't be beat for the money hands down.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I was also considering a 527, but in 7.62x39...anyone have any thoughts on that particular version?

That is a great little rifle. Great size and handling. Perfect woods deer gun, or hog. Can shoot steel or brass. I have 527's in .223, 7.62x39 and .22 Hornet. You can't go wrong with a CZ.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I have a CZ 527 in 7.62 x 39. I am in Southern Maryland - if you are close and you can't find one to handle, I would let you try mine. It is a great rifle.

Clippers69

Mar 7, 2011
    I have a CZ 527 in the 7.62 X 39 with a 3X9-40 scope. The trigger is fine for me and it shoots military surplus ammo accurately! I loaded Wolf Military Classic 123 hp and shot at 50 yards to see how accurate the rounds were. The first shot was center bulls eye and after firing the second shot, wondered how I could have missed the target. Recovered the target and found that the second bullet went through the same hole by less than 1/16th of an inch! I left if alone after that.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    I also have the 527 in 7.62x39 and I absolutely love it. The regular trigger on mine is great. And like others have mentioned, the set trigger truly is a hair trigger. I've double-tapped by accident more than once!

I put a 3-9x32 Burris on mine and it's a great fit. I did have to grind down the bolt handle a little bit for clearance since I didn't want to go with higher rings…

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I have an American. Set trigger is too lite for hunting. The regular trigger is easily adjustable. Lots of info on rimfirecentral.com in CZ forum. I'd keep an eye out for the carbine, hard to find, as it has a 1/9 twist. The American is 1/12 not sure about the Varmint. CZ rifles can't be beat for the money hands down.

You don't… Sorry, my typing dyslexia acting up again…. Thinking one thing and typing another…

I *meant* to say discharging prematurely :o

I appreciate the insight guys! Right on point with why I hesitated to pick up a 527 to begin with given my intention of a dual application.

The 527 and that set trigger still intrigues me, but for me at least, more in my mind as a dedicated range gun. There I think I'd like that trigger ALOT! I do like a number of CZ firearms generally!

Since I wanted any 223 addition to my bull barrel Remington to include lighter carry weight for some hunting use, I opted for a Savage 11. The Accutrigger is a very decent factory trigger that I've gotten familiar with the last few years. But knowing me, I'll probably find or create an excuse to talk myself into a 527 at some point also! :D

Thanks again to everyone for your observations and feedback!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom