• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    So here are my thoughts and I am looking for a gunsmith or someone else who has had this done to have a serious discussion about the possibility/reality of this project.

I would like to take a Beretta CX4 9mm and have the last 4-5 inches of the barrel ported.

Then just behind the porting, attach a sleeve/ring/metal cylinder that can be threaded to accept a suppressor.

Of course I would need to find a suppressor that would slip over the barrel before I go through the trouble of porting.

I don't want to have the long profile of a suppressor hanging of the end of the barrel and I don't want to cut the barrel down but I do want to keep the compact profile and quiet everything down.

Thanks for any feed back!

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Why the need to port a long barrel 9mm rifle? Couldn't you just get a flash suppressor?

I see now. I don't think what you want to do is possible. A suppressor will not slip over the porting and seal the gasses. I would find a suppressor and shroud that would go over the suppressor and possible chop down the barrel 3".

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    I was thinking of integrating a suppressor. keep the barrel length and maintain short profile.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    see how long that is! It negates the CQ design of the rifle.

Attachments

• bs.jpg
      bs.jpg
      89.4 KB · Views: 669

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    OK, I'll bite…

If you push the can over the barrel, how does the can suppress?

the porting. the gases escape through the holes into the suppressor. Basically trying to create an after-market integrated suppressor. Again, this is why I wanted the discussion to see if it is possible or just a silly idea.

I understand there are simpler solutions, and cutting the barrel may be one of them, I just need to look into the legality of that. It may be considered creating/manufacturing an SBR.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I've had a cx4 in 45 with the sierra papa upgrades for sometime. The company I work with has an in house gun smith and he said the same thing:

if you shorten it, you are not going to get the reduction in db that you want

Let me know if it can be done so I can go back and give him well you know what.

Last edited:

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    BTW, that is not my rifle in the pic. I found that online for visual representation purposes only.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    I've had a cx4 in 45 with the sierra papa upgrades for sometime. The company I work with has an in house gun smith and he said the same thing:

if you shorten it, you are not going to get the reduction in db that you wan

Thanks Kenpo and Montoya. I just looked for an image for the integral suppressor and these barrels are huge, for the obvious reasons. It seems the concept of my idea is inherently flawed.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Thanks Kenpo and Montoya. I just looked for an image for the integral suppressor and these barrels are huge, for the obvious reasons. It seems the concept of my idea is inherently flawed.

With things like this you're never sure until you try it but that takes money for something that may not work. I am not the most mechanical guy on this block. I was telling what my guy said.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    hmm. So you cut ports into the barrel instead of just threading it? and then behind the ports have a threaded sleeve...

I think for this to work, you would need a LOT of ports. So much so that it would really beg the question why not just cut down the barrel and thread it closer to the breech and just attach a very effective muzzle brake? They have some great muzzle brakes that act as bases for suppressors.

This way, you just take where you were going to have the threaded neck, and cut off the barrel there.

No use having it on there with such a loss of pressure with all the porting.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I comprehend your idea. A certain Tom Clancy novel had the protagonist do somthing similar on an AR ahead of the front sight assy , and behind the flash supressor.

You would need a crap load of ports. And would be crratong a simple expansion chamber type supressor.

Here's the big one : requires NFA process for a home built supressor . As long as you are having to deal with NFA anyway there are better options :

Cut bbl , and premently attach the supressor body so as to maintain origional bbl & OAL ( one stamp ).

Decide that shortness is your main goal , and cut bbl to create SBR , skip supressor.

Cut bbl to create AND obtain a removable supressor. Two stamps , but the supressor could theoretically be used with other hosts.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    This Tactical-Solutions barrel would be a better solution. Unfortunately is is for a 10-22. Cut/crown/thread the barrel, permanently attach shroud. mount suppressor inside of shroud. Only need the stamp for the suppressor because the shroud permanently extends the barrel to legal length

Attachments

• sbx-barrel-top.jpg
      sbx-barrel-top.jpg
      22 KB · Views: 436

motox79

May 24, 2010
    damascus
    -One more issue you are going to run into (if you don't decide to SBR), is 922R compliances. This is a "sporting" rifle....eh carbine. Anyhow, if you thread the barrel, you then give it one of those "evil" features that causes firearms to go out and kill uncontrollably! :lol2: There is a way around it however.....thread the barrel, and get a 3 lug adapter then weld/solder/pin it.
    -I understand the desire to port the barrel, but i thought the only purpose of the porting is to bleed off pressure to make the round subsonic. That can easily be achieved with 147+gr ammo.
    -I looked into suppressing a CX4 i had a while back, and after a bit of research....it just boils down to them being a really poor host.(from what i read....i can't confirm) The "blowback" cycling, and the fact that you can change which side ejects the cartridge makes them suppress poorly, or at least not as well as other hosts. WHatever you decide to do, research first, so you don't spend twice. (You may want to wait and start saving for a SIG MPX...if they ever come out!)

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    I looked into getting a 2nd barrel to do the work on in case it doesn't pan out...$571. That's almost the full price of a new CX4. The MPX looks interesting and I like the idea of switching barrels to suit you needs. Of course you usually pay a pretty penny for the options!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom