• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Last Summer, I ran into a guy at the range who had one. He was friends with a distributor for that tool, and gave me a business card.

He had one, and let me try it on various brass. It works fine, but I have no use for one, since resizing cases blows the primer out. I really didnt want to add an extra step to my reloading.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm guessing he wants it to use while watching TV from the Barcolounger.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I shoot a lot of BPCR and everyone uses some sort of decapping tool right after they come off the shooting line and most guys have always used Pope Style decappers. I bought mine from Meacham, and it was over a 100.00 when I bought it years ago. Plus you have to buy conversions for different calibers. The last few years I have been seeing these new style decappers and they seem to work very well for any caliber that will fit inside the housing. And the price seems very reasonable.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    I have a Harvey deprimer and it works really well. I only use it because I wet tumble brass. I'm not sure what other use it would have.

One caution is that shooters who get elevated lead levels from shooting in unventilated areas are getting it from the lead in the primer. During the detonation of the primer the lead(II) is reduced to lead(0) and there will most likely be some lead(0) left in the spent primer and pocket (as well as expelled in the smoke). Depriming in a place where you might be eating could be an iffy proposition.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    hmmm, this could be something to give the boys work while waiting turn at the range.
    Yup, deprime that bag of 9mm then you can shoot.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Nailed it, I spend enough time on my bench.

I have one and it is great. Bought it for the same reason. Put a towel on your lap for spent primers and go to town watching the boob tube. With a bad back. the less time sitting at a bench the better. Also have a hand primer. I just wash up with D-Lead hand soap after.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    My CCI primers all say lead free. Not sure if this is true for all brands.

The lead-free primers use something like diazodinitrophenol, a purely organic compound, instead of lead styphnate. DDNP is an okay replacement, but on average it's not as reliable so it isn't used all that much. I think the Air Force looked at using lead-free primers, but they had long term storage issues.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Didnt even think the lead free primers were out for reloaders .... yet. DDNP is pretty much just loaded by the manufacters right now.

Im sure its a matter of time before they do replace all primers, but from what I gather they need a different loading. Id be curious to see if they obsolete all load data when they do hit the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom