• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I don't deal with or own any NFA items, yet. Saw this on Shockwave Technologies website. It's a Mossberg 500 with a 14 inch barrel, Raptor pistol grip and tactical forend with strap. If anyone can decipher the part about it not being an NFA item please explain. It seems like a technicality that I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of. Either way I'm grabbing one of the raptor grips and forends as a second set of furniture for my 590.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    im very curious about this as well. I assume at the very least adding this grip would require registration as a handgun?
    I really want to shoot skeet with something that resembles the super shotgun in doom II. If you can add the grip to a mossberg pump and its not nfa then I assume I can cut cant sand a double barrel stock the same way then register it as a pistol before cutting the barrel down to 9"?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Presumably this would be an Other/ Other .

Origionally mfg with rear pistol grip only , never had a full stock attached at any time , so SBS definition would kick in as to having been mfg from a Shotgun in regards to that subsection.

Greater than 26in OAL prevents it from being defined as handgun , or SBS under other definition , or as AOW .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Opps , I can't get the edit function to behave, the second sentence should read " would NOT "

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    The website points out an ATF ruling that defines a shotgun.

I get a lot of questions from customers about the “new” ATF ruling regarding pistol-grip-only (PGO) firearms with 14″ barrels that aren’t considered NFA items.

Well, first off, let me say, it’s not a new ruling. It’s the same position that ATF has always taken regarding PGO firearms that fire a fixed shotgun shell that have NEVER had a buttstock attached to them—they’re NOT shotguns! They’re simply firearms. As such, they don’t necessarily need to have 18″+ barrels on them to remain out of the purview of the NFA.

You see, the very definition of a “shotgun” requires that it be “designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder…” Without a buttstock ever having been fitted to the PGO firearms in question, they can’t be fired from the shoulder and are therefore not shotguns. Hence, with a 14″ barrel, they can’t be considered short-barreled shotguns, as they aren’t shotguns to begin with. Read the full definition of a shotgun here.

PGO firearms that remain longer than 26″ in overall length also can’t be defined as AOWs. That’s because the term “any other weapon” (AOW) means “any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person…” And ATF maintains that to be concealed, the firearm needs to be shorter than 26″. Read the full definition of an AOW here.

More on the subject is available in these two letters to Len Savage—the guy who will be making a lot of these non-NFA firearms in the coming months and years:

July 20, 2010 letter from NFA Tech Branch to Mr. Len Savage
    October 27, 2010 letter from NFA Tech Branch to Mr. Len Savage
    Page 1 of third letter
    Page 2 of third letter
    All that said, I’m not a firearms attorney. And I’m not offering legal advice here. I am simply relating things the way I understand them. Be sure you check with all the appropriate agencies.

Now, a pistol-grip-only Mossberg 500 with a 14″ barrel and the Raptor Grip installed measures 26.5″ in overall length (measured parallel to the bore).

–Marty

This is what the website had to say, I'm in no way standing behind these statements just asking what anyone who may know about what has been said here. The grip angle seems to make the length legal or that's what I gather. The letters mentioned above are on the website Shockwave Technologies and can be opened and read there, sorry I couldn't link them.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Then again, AOW's ARE NFA items aren't they...:innocent0

Yep

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term “Any Other Weapon” means:

• Any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive;
    • A pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell;
    • Weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading; and
    • Any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire.
    Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-nfa-aow.html

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    I'm not 100% on this, but I'm fairly confident:

A pistol grip (only) shotgun is technically NOT a shotgun. It's marked as "other" on the federal form 4473 (out of handgun, long gun, other) and is designated specifically as a "pistol grip shotgun" rather than shotgun. Since it's not intended to be fired from the shoulder, I guess that's how they get away with keeping it from being an NFA item. Just like an AR pistol isn't an SBR until a stock is put on it, I guess the same would be true for a pistol grip shotgun and an SBS. It's not an NFA item until you put a shoulder stock on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom