• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0091743515001188

I'm not smart enough to understand why but I'm sure this analysis is skewed so the elitist elite can academically prove that a gun for self defense is more dangerous than being a victim.

Results:
    Of over 14,000 incidents in which the victim was present, 127 (0.9%) involved a SDGU. SDGU was more common among males, in rural areas, away from home, against male offenders and against offenders with a gun. After any protective action, 4.2% of victims were injured; after SDGU, 4.1% of victims were injured. In property crimes, 55.9% of victims who took protective action lost property, 38.5 of SDGU victims lost property, and 34.9% of victims who used a weapon other than a gun lost property.

Conclusions
    Compared to other protective actions, the National Crime Victimization Surveys provide little evidence that SDGU is uniquely beneficial in reducing the likelihood of injury or property loss.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    This study completely ignores the incidents where no crime is reported, e.g. the criminal approaches me, I present my firearm. Criminal departs. Nothing reported. Also, an incidence of 0.9% is far too small to base any conclusion on.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I'm sure the methodology and stats used are skewed to the desired conclusions...but it would probably take someone with the facts like John Lott to disprove the study quickly. Other than Lott it would take someone with knowledge where to access quickly facts and time to disprove the study which will likely accepted out of hand by the Left.

Even if there is some veracity to the study...what the author ignores is the fact the being able to have and use a firearm in self-defense is enormously important to the person needing it. Statistics don't show that.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    No one has asked them to embrace a firearm for self defense. If their conclusions with this or any study are such that they wish to forego one, then so be it.

What is undeniably slanted here, is the expectation that they will somehow usurp the power to decide and to make my choice for me.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    You need the full paper. The abstract presented definitely jumps to a conclusion with little evidence and kind of refutes it’s own conclusion.

.1 percent less injuries
    Less property loss than most who took protective action. More than when some weapon other than a gun was used, but compared to the whole (55%?) was much better.

They mention that most SDGU occurs against attackers with a gun. No mention of how many non gun protective actions were against an attacker with a gun.

Overall, a good example of confirmation bias.

It’s easier to carry a gun than a sword or baseball bat.
    There is little data on SDGU 127 out of 14,000 events. No mention of how many non-gun weapon protective actions in the data.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Agree, you'd need more than the abstract to get the definition of some of this. But a couple of conclusions that can be drawn:

- Over 50% of the sample they are using, were incidents outside the home: "SDGU was more common among males, in rural areas, away from home".

- Sounds like most who took "protective action" "lost property" but in most states you can't use deadly force to protect property so they are making this sound like a failure when in fact, it could be read as "Yeah, they took my car but I'm still alive". "55.9% of victims who took protective action lost property".

Is there any distinction in this between, police/security being the one who used "SDGU"? Is there any distinction between the one using "SDGU" being a criminal themselves? Seems pretty strange that most incidents involving "gun" use for defense were outside the home. Does this even take into account homeowners announcing they have a firearm or displaying it to deter a criminal? From the sound of it, again without knowing the definitions or cases, half these could be drug deals gone bad.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    The success rate for treating lung cancer with chemo is around 35%. Would the writer forego that treatment. Doubtful. It’s always better to have options.
    Go check out the “Armed Citizen” section in American Rifleman magazines. Must be thousands of examples over the decades.

PaFrank

Apr 2, 2020
    If you have a Twitter account, go ask John Lott. He will give you the best possible answer you could ever imagine. If you don't know who John is, well, you should. Google him.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmmm

Of over 14,000 incidents in which the victim was present, 127 (0.9%) involved a SDGU. SDGU was more common among males, in rural areas, away from home, against male offenders and against offenders with a gun. After any protective action, 4.2% of victims were injured; after SDGU, 4.1% of victims were injured. In property crimes, 55.9% of victims who took protective action lost property, 38.5 of SDGU victims lost property, and 34.9% of victims who used a weapon other than a gun lost property.

So, while a small amount, their own data shows lower injury rate. And they do not, at least in the summary, discuss the LEVEL of injury.

They also are comparing only those with "any protective action." What about the injuries to those who took no action?

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Hmmm

So, while a small amount, their own data shows lower injury rate. And they do not, at least in the summary, discuss the LEVEL of injury.

They also are comparing only those with "any protective action." What about the injuries to those who took no action?

Thank you. I was rereading that and thinking, wait, how did they draw that conclusion when their own report shows a small benefit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom