• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    @ Mark K, from what I understood is that is that when you put yourself on the "notify me" list and get notified you are off the list.

Oops, I meant the "Notify Me" list.

Are you saying that they keep the list in order, and notify people in that order? And if you're notified for a particular item, you get dropped off the list?

Something doesn't make sense. I assumed they notify everyone on the list pretty-much simultaneously, subject to how fast their server can send out the notifications. After all, they don't wait to see whether you actually order or not before they go to the next person on the list...

So from what you're saying... if, as usually happens, I see a notification, log in, and find the item is already out-of-stock, I have to sign up again? And on the bottom of the list?

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Hi Mark M,

From the customer service rep I talked to this afternoon, she said before shortages they use to send out email notices to everyone who signed up to be notified. Now with the shortages, not everyone gets notified. I do not know how MidwayUSA determines who or how many gets notified. All I know was that I was on the notify me list for primers and did not get notified and rep told me I was not selected and now moved up the list.

As to your second question, yes once you are notified about a product being in stock you get kicked off the list whether you bought it or not. It happened twice with me when signed up for some 9mm hornady bullets. I got an email notice in the morning while at work and wasn't able to log in for a few hours. By time I got signed on, the bullet was out of stock and I had to re-sign up to get notified again and put on the list again, probably in chronological order would be my guess. If you log into your account and go down to your "product arrival notification" and click on it you will see that it has been removed from there and go into your "past notification" list. You have to re-sign back up to be notified.

I'm not sure if this was always the way MidwayUSA did business or if it's something recent due to these shortages.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I have NEVER been notified of primers from any of the sites. They are sold out before they notifications go out. That works only for molds and dies. Powders even sell too fast to be notifed now.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    With regards to primers, you gotta be on Discord (aka, crowd-sourced notifications) or have a somewhat sophisticated Distill setup to even really have a chance. Notification emails will never arrive in time. Having a single instance of Distill run every 2-3 minutes[1] is essentially useless unless you get very, very lucky and have your check accidentally coincide with the restock. Guys with top-level Distill setups are running from like 8-16 IPs/VPNs (or more!) so that they can de facto be checking every 15-30 seconds. Some people are undoubtedly doing even more. Running a checker bot requires very little in the way of resources, and even checkout bots really aren't much worse except for the .00001% of the time they need to fight it out for a checkout.

That is to say, there's no magic bullet that lets you compete with the big dogs with no effort. Some people are using these bots to make a lot of money from resale, and can throw real resources at the effort.

Now, the "good" news is that it's starting to look like some of these vendors are now doing 1K limits, which is horrific on hazmat shipping amortized costs, but does make it more likely you'll get enough primers to get along until another drop.

[1] Pretty much every big website is now doing bans if you check very frequently.

With regards to primers, you gotta be on Discord (aka, crowd-sourced notifications) or have a somewhat sophisticated Distill setup to even really have a chance. Notification emails will never arrive in time. Having a single instance of Distill run every 2-3 minutes[1] is essentially useless unless you get very, very lucky and have your check accidentally coincide with the restock. Guys with top-level Distill setups are running from like 8-16 IPs/VPNs (or more!) so that they can de facto be checking every 15-30 seconds. Some people are undoubtedly doing even more. Running a checker bot requires very little in the way of resources, and even checkout bots really aren't much worse except for the .00001% of the time they need to fight it out for a checkout.

That is to say, there's no magic bullet that lets you compete with the big dogs with no effort. Some people are using these bots to make a lot of money from resale, and can throw real resources at the effort.

Now, the "good" news is that it's starting to look like some of these vendors are now doing 1K limits, which is horrific on hazmat shipping amortized costs, but does make it more likely you'll get enough primers to get along until another drop.

[1] Pretty much every big website is now doing bans if you check very frequently.

You don't have much of a chance using discord. I was on there for about a month and got lucky one time. In my experience those who get the notifications generally purchase what they want before they even send the notification. By that time it's way too late. I have been communicating directly with a couple of Midway USA customer service reps and they fully acknowledge and admit that they know that their website is being monitored by bots and that the vast majority of their primer sales are going to bots but apparently they're either unwilling to or unable to do anything about it. Apparently they have now a quantity limited policy that monitors shipping addresses and billing addresses. Once those addresses are used you can no longer buy that product.

For instance I've been looking for 350 legend brass for reloading for some time. They finally got some bulk pack Star line brass in stock early last week. I ordered a box of 100 which was the quantity limit. I tried to create a second account with my girlfriend's name and address but with my shipping address so I could buy an additional 100 but it wouldn't let me so I asked her to go online and buy it for me. Later in the week I went back to try to buy another box and could not. I sent an email to their customer service and was told that I was no longer able to buy that particular product sku and would not be able to buy that particular product again until such time as the quantity limit policy changes.

So you might be able to buy a brick of primers if you get lucky but that's the last you will get of them from Midway USA until they remove their quantity policy

jonbardley

Feb 22, 2021
    Port Tobacco

I got onto the Discord group about 2 months ago. With some patience and a little pre planning (setting up accounts and creating wishlists) i was able to get 2 cases of large rifle and 1 case of small rifle in that time. It's frustrating but not impossible. I had the best luck with the Midway drops. Brownells website process is very difficult to yield success in my experience.

I know with primer drops on the big sites like PV, Midway, and Brownells; if you don't have the item in your cart and checked out in less than 20 seconds from a notification in the Discord thread, you will not be fast enough.

I built a wish list on Midway for the primers I wanted and left that window open (signed in with all my purchasing details ready). I would just immediately refresh my wishlist page as soon as one of the discord alerts for primers went off without messing around clicking on the link. That worked best for me.

I got what i set out for and won't bother trying to get more primers until I'm down to about 500 left when ever that occurs. My average cost for the 3 cases i got ran avg cost .08/primer w/ shipping&hzmt. Good luck out there.

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Yeah, I saw that. A Discord notification for SPP popped up while I was on the computer, I went straight to Natchez, and saw they were still in stock -- amazing in itself.

Went through most of the checkout procedure, with the Natchez server repeatedly timing-out and me having to re-load pages and re-enter data. Then I just gave up.

About a half-hour later I got an e-mail from Natchez, that "You’re in luck, we saved your items for you!"

Cool! I logged back in, and no -- no, they hadn't. Out-of-stock. :banghead:

But it kind of looks like things are improving, though at a glacial pace. The primers weren't at a horrendous price, and they were actually in-stock for more than three milliseconds...

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

For instance I've been looking for 350 legend brass for reloading for some time. They finally got some bulk pack Star line brass in stock early last week. I ordered a box of 100 which was the quantity limit. I tried to create a second account with my girlfriend's name and address but with my shipping address so I could buy an additional 100 but it wouldn't let me so I asked her to go online and buy it for me. Later in the week I went back to try to buy another box and could not. I sent an email to their customer service and was told that I was no longer able to buy that particular product sku and would not be able to buy that particular product again until such time as the quantity limit policy changes.

Order directly from Starline. They allow backorders and prices are generally better than Midway for their own product.

I put in a 250 count order and had it within two weeks. (and no tacked on shipping charge, which has been the norm with my orders from them)

082fc316548063aab97553d4fdcf17cc.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Order directly from Starline. They allow backorders and prices are generally better than Midway for their own product.

I put in a 250 count order and had it within two weeks. (and no tacked on shipping charge, which has been the norm with my orders from them)

082fc316548063aab97553d4fdcf17cc.jpg

This. I can’t speak to some of the really low volume cartridges. But I back ordered some 6.5 Grendel after it had been out of stock already for maybe 4-6 weeks. About 6 weeks later they sent me an email saying they needed my CC info again as it was past 30 days and they couldn’t charge my card.

I called them and the woman I spoke with took my CC and said it would ship soon. I got tracking info I think the next day or at most 2 days after.

That said, checking now their website says out of stock NO back orders for it. So glad I got another 250 in.

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Grrr... Three days later, and Natchez is still sending me e-mail notices that I've got items in my cart and to complete my purchase -- even though the primers are still out-of-stock. You'd think their web site would figure out what's going on...

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    I'm still waiting on the brass I ordered on Feb 17th from Starline who said the brass was in stock.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Ive been lurking on a trapshooting forum. I'm curious, are the Cheddite Primer more preferred in the trap/skeet shooting world?

Not really. Winchester primers are the most popular. Remington’s were popular until the prior owners jacked up the price way above the wins. The Cheddites were a cheaper import from France before the shortages hit. Be aware that some people say the foreign manufactured primers are bigger and therefore enlarge the primer pocket. This will cause American made primers to fall out on subsequent loadings. I bought these Cheddites because it was all I could get. I haven’t measured them with a caliper yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom