• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Spending a whole bunch of money on a custom high-end-ish ELR gun without actually having a place to shoot ELR or having even done it before is a good way to pick the wrong gun. Ditto for a PRS gun. You really really do not need that much to shoot at a thousand yards, and the gun is arguably the least important piece.

I do agree that getting into 300 PRC or 338 LM without the capability to reload is going to be even more of a waste of time. 338, in particular, is $4-$6 a pull from the factory, and 300 PRC is literally non-existent these days. You don't need to do F-class-style reloading, but being able to fill those used brass cases yourself is basically a requirement for being able to shoot them with any amount of frequency.

I won't even get into Kestrels and LRFs. The long-range game is the only thing more expensive than 3gun.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    If you are looking at long actiom cartridges, the ga precision wont fit the bill but is a VERY nice rifle.

I would personally go the custom action route at that price and try to find something used. I would look in the sale section of Snipershide as ehat you are looking for pops up a lot more frequently there. You didnt state if you preferred a chassis or a stock, which will make a difference. If you need to upgrade later, the KRG Bravo is an inexpensive stock/chassis.

With the larger cartridges, I would look at the king of two miles competitions and see what they are running for ideas. I would also look into a switch lug so you dont have to pull the barreled action out to replace the barrel.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    "Entry Precision Rifle"
    "I’m looking to go big."
    "I’m looking at 800-1000 yards primarily, may step out further on occasion. I’m not really interested in shooting matches, but that may change in the future."

Not clear exactly what kind of shooting the OP will be doing. This will likely evolve as he attends the ranges in his new location. For entry level only, a complete brand name rifle (RPR/Savage etc.) would be fine, but he may very quickly want better (precision). If he never wishes for improved precision he'll be fine (and some types of competitions do not require this), but if the precision bug gets him, a hammer-forged CM barreled "factory" rifle will likely soon show limitations. He might also want to check theshooterscorner.com for a used rifle for a custom base rifle (but he seems to have only BR rifles listed at present).

And I agree, "Going Big" for 800-1000 yards will likely be regretted quickly.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I think the OP should wait to move and THEN figure out what kind of gun he needs. No guarantee they'll even have PRS matches or ELR ranges near him.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I still need to take it out to distance, but check into a used Remington 700 Sendero. Fluted heavy barrel, B&C stock, trigger pull can be adjusted by you. Mine is pretty accurate with basic hunting ammunition, haven't tried to reload for it yet.

kidcadet1996

Jan 5, 2015
    Waldorf MD
    Unless he just WANTS one...:D

That's pretty much the case. What I'm thinking now is I will purchase more of a "general" platform to start with. Something to learn and grow with, that can stretch out 1000 - 1200 yards, shoot matches with, not overly terrible for ammo costs. For calibers I'll look into 6.5 CM and similar. This will give me something to play around with until I move, and then I can go bigger if I still wish.

I'm not a reloader, but it is definitely something I'll pick up once I have more space to do so. I understand how hand loads can make a huge difference shooting long distances.

Thanks for all y'alls help.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That's pretty much the case. What I'm thinking now is I will purchase more of a "general" platform to start with. Something to learn and grow with, that can stretch out 1000 - 1200 yards, shoot matches with, not overly terrible for ammo costs. For calibers I'll look into 6.5 CM and similar. This will give me something to play around with until I move, and then I can go bigger if I still wish.

I'm not a reloader, but it is definitely something I'll pick up once I have more space to do so. I understand how hand loads can make a huge difference shooting long distances.

Actually there is good quality match ammo now that shoots quite well.

A lot of choices for .308. Less for other calibers, but there. Federal Gold Medal Match, Black Hills, Copper Creek, and others.

But handloading will save you a good bit.

FRS GOCAV

MDS Supporter
    Jan 12, 2021
    Glen Burnie
    Just got a new March Gun and Ammo and in it was a story on the new 6.8 Western Winchester's and Browning's big game rifle. You should take a look at it 1000 yard's plus and close to 3000 fps ammo!.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD

I would vote for a rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. It has the legs for 1200 yards, isn't hard on the shoulder, the Hornady 147gr VLD match grade ammo is match grade and, under normal supply circumstances, relatively inexpensive to shoot. I have a Tikka T3x TAC A1 that will shoot easily out to 800 yards on that ammo. I took that rifle to an explosives shoot out west and was popping .75 MOA sized targets at 600+ yards out of the box with a brand new rifle.

I since built a second one on a Shilen barrel on an Aero M5 receiver in semi-auto form. Likewise a tack driver.

Also can't go wrong with a .308 rifle with a fast twist barrel to stabilize the heavier rounds. My slower twist R700 will shoot Hornady 178gr match rounds with very good accuracy but that is about the top of what it can handle. My faster Ruger PRS in .308 can shoot the heavier rounds. You'll have to handload them but a heavier round matched to the rifle can be a very inexpensive and accurate shooter. It is all about keeping the bullet supersonic until it passes the target.

The nice thing with having both .308 and 6.5CM is they can share magazines and actions. Only need to have different barrels.

Casual long range shooting with factory match ammunition is certainly fun. Nothing more satisfying than hitting a target 3+ football fields away. Especially if you can hit a 4 inch gong at 400 yards on the first round from a cold bore. That will bring a smile to your face. I have rifles I can put totally inexperienced shooters behind and with them dialed in they can hit that gong off the bench. Shooting a dime-sized group at 100 yards is cool but hearing the "Boom!", a pause and then the "Clang!" is a totally different experience and one worth having and seeing others have.

But be able to handload and park them into the inner half of an F-Class target at a grand? Magic. I don't care if I'm the worst shooter present. Just getting all of the rounds on the target at that distance is an achievement. The wind will mess with your head all along the way but you'll be doing something that not everyone can do.

I also have a Howa 1500 in 6.5x55mm, a slightly uprated factory hunting rifle, that is an excellent long range shooter. Until 6.5CM came along, 6.5x55mm has been my personal long range go-to caliber. Gentle shooter and even from the thin free floated hunting profile barrel, accurate enough to get stuff done. I'd like to get some loads dialed in on it and just take it to 600+ to see if it can hold its own.

Lots of choices and spending a couple thousand dollars on a decent factory rifle and some good medium budget glass can, pardon the pun, take you a long way. What was a $2000 scope five years ago is a sub-$1K scope today. People bitch about scopes like the $400 Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP glass but that stuff blows the doors off any high-end hunting scope made 10 years prior. I have several and they work just fine. You don't have to spend as much on the glass as the rifle today to get a good experience. My two 6.5CM rifles have Sig Sauger Tango4 FFP scopes on them and they have been rock-solid and totally changed my shooting experience. I will never hang a 2nd focal plane scope on a target rifle ever again unless it is fixed power.

I've often recommended a Ruger PRS and a Vortex FFP scope as a budget precision rifle. That pairing will get you on the line and have everything you need except a rest/bipod and extra magazines. $1500 and you're capable of going to a grand with the right ammo. I have that set up as a field rifle and backup.

Matt

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also can't go wrong with a .308 rifle with a fast twist barrel to stabilize the heavier rounds. My slower twist R700 will shoot Hornady 178gr match rounds with very good accuracy but that is about the top of what it can handle. My faster Ruger PRS in .308 can shoot the heavier rounds. You'll have to handload them but a heavier round matched to the rifle can be a very inexpensive and accurate shooter. It is all about keeping the bullet supersonic until it passes the target.

The transonic instability is only the Sierra Match King 168 grain.

The 175 doesn't have that issue.

The difference is the boat tail angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom