• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    As a fellow Sig P239 (.357sig) owner, congrats on a beautiful purchase! While it may not be the lightest pistol for its size, or hold the most rounds per mag, it’s extremely reliable and for me I find it to have a very natural point of aim and it’s always a fun one to shoot.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    For years, the P239 in .357 sig was my daily carry piece. I got so used to the weight on my hip that eventully I would forget i was carrying it.

Sloopjonb

Feb 5, 2016
    Rented one at the range and it shot really nice. I bought a Kimber like that, same size, have never shot it because it looks really beautiful so I bought a shooter. I also have the revolver, can't hit anything with it but my son in law can I will probably give it to him. I just like shooting it.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Thanks, also got this paperweight.
    Nice pistola. Just a quick question, though.

Colt Pythons are superb guns, granted, but yours is stainless steel.

Have you ever considered sending it off to a place like Mahovsky's and getting it nickel-plated? Not electroless-nickel, but a shiny nickel plated?

There's a variety of nickel plating. Electroless nickel, nickel boron, hard chromed -- they're all beautiful.

Why plate a stainless Python? First, stainless gets a lot of dings and scrapes. Plating is cosmetically pleasing. (Especially bright nickel, if you like it.) Second, Pythons tend to go out of time when shot a lot. The hand, or pawl, tends to be tiny and it wears. When it can't move the ratchet into place, it goes out of time.

Hard chroming hardens the surface to 70-71 on the Rockwell scale, which makes it almost impossible to ding or scratch. It also looks like lightly polished stainless steel. The pawl and ratchet also increase the wear resistance significantly.

Just a suggestion. I like the bright nickel and have even thought of plating my Security-Six. But it does tend to be pricy. I have a Browning Hi-Power and have thought of plating that...but the bluing is too beautiful. I wish they'd come up with a way to keep them looking like they do.

If you can, I'd like to see some more photos of your Python. Did you buy it used or new? Do you have any other DA .357s?

Cheers!

bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    Nice pistola. Just a quick question, though.

Colt Pythons are superb guns, granted, but yours is stainless steel.

Have you ever considered sending it off to a place like Mahovsky's and getting it nickel-plated? Not electroless-nickel, but a shiny nickel plated?

There's a variety of nickel plating. Electroless nickel, nickel boron, hard chromed -- they're all beautiful.

Why plate a stainless Python? First, stainless gets a lot of dings and scrapes. Plating is cosmetically pleasing. (Especially bright nickel, if you like it.) Second, Pythons tend to go out of time when shot a lot. The hand, or pawl, tends to be tiny and it wears. When it can't move the ratchet into place, it goes out of time.

Hard chroming hardens the surface to 70-71 on the Rockwell scale, which makes it almost impossible to ding or scratch. It also looks like lightly polished stainless steel. The pawl and ratchet also increase the wear resistance significantly.

Just a suggestion. I like the bright nickel and have even thought of plating my Security-Six. But it does tend to be pricy. I have a Browning Hi-Power and have thought of plating that...but the bluing is too beautiful. I wish they'd come up with a way to keep them looking like they do.

If you can, I'd like to see some more photos of your Python. Did you buy it used or new? Do you have any other DA .357s?

Cheers!

This is my only revolver at the moment, it is a 1986 model python I got used.

Attachments

• 05A17363-EA77-4ED8-A6AD-6B712A931668.jpg
      05A17363-EA77-4ED8-A6AD-6B712A931668.jpg
      80.3 KB · Views: 61
    • 9676991C-6271-4AB7-9883-3783CC553BA2.jpg
      9676991C-6271-4AB7-9883-3783CC553BA2.jpg
      69.3 KB · Views: 59
    • F2C085E9-EC85-44AE-A823-EF70EE5DD86F.jpg
      F2C085E9-EC85-44AE-A823-EF70EE5DD86F.jpg
      88.5 KB · Views: 70

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts