• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    I was reading this article:
    https://www.pewpewtactical.com/swfa-ss-scope-boyds-spike-camp-review/

It got me thinking, Instead of buying a Ruger American Hunter with the magpul stock, I could build My dream 308 with an action/barrel and MDT Oryx chassis.

I could also build a 7.62x39 plinker on the cheap, with a Boyds Spike Camp stock

Questions:
    Is Brownells the only seller of Howa receivers/barrels?
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...=Avantlink&utm_content=NA&utm_campaign=Itwine
    Is a 308 receiver available? (not listed)
    Is there other others for receiver/barrel/trigger assemblies in the same price range?

I feel myself slipping down a rabbit hole!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Brownells is the only one I know of who sells Howa barreled actions.

I know someone on here was trying to sell his 6.5G Howa at a shockingly low price, incidentally.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Since USC went down the toilet brownells is the only source I know of. Try a pm to reynolds25. He had a nice how's mini in grendel (the one erwos is referring to, probably).

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    pick up a used Rem 700 short action (rifle) with the proper bolt face basically all your gonna use is the Action.
    When Wally World was clearing out some rifles they had 243 700's way cheaper than I could buy the action,
    less than 250. Put a decent barrel (Hart) S.S. had it chambered in 308, decent stock, changed out the bottom
    metal. Then Wally World had Rem 700 ADL in 223 with scope less than 200 in some places. If all your gonna
    use is the action, it's a good building block. Just a thought.... of course with all this B.S. going on right now.
    who knows

or just get the Howa 1500 barreled action... I just like the 700 actions overall unless I'm building something
    special.

-Rock

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have several Remage rifles built on 700 lA. I am getting a new 26” BLack hole weaponry P3 barrel in 260 Rem. I could just use my 284 win build “ on a Remage and switch barrels but of course there is the part of me that want d an individual rifle. Finding a 700 Rem LA Receiver right now is dam near impossible. Used rifles are crazy . Might be time to consider a Pacific Tool and Gauge B52 receiver. Css as nt see me spending $800 for s shot rifle and then tear it apart. St same time no one has s as y in stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    If you go the custom action route, you can easily set it up to swap barrels on the range and reuse the chassis and optic. I would recommend looking at the Bighorn Origin (825 new) if you go that route. I would recommend them as they can swap the bolt head so if you want to do 308 then a 223 or a magnum, you swap the bolt head and undo one screw and you are good to go. They are also extremely tight tolerances on the action.

Yes its more expensive up front, but you get a lot more versatility woth everything instead of having 3 less expensive rifles, you get one really nice one.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    ... I feel myself slipping down a rabbit hole!

LOL, that’s what happened to ME! :lol:

Only, I wound up going full circle and ended up with <7lb DPMS G-II MOE (I guess I traded true moa for some of the other criteria on my own list at the time ... :innocent0)

God Bless America! :party29:

Attachments

• 41099714-6DD9-4D43-90BF-DE295E404ADA.jpeg
      41099714-6DD9-4D43-90BF-DE295E404ADA.jpeg
      7.2 KB · Views: 174

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Remington actions are good if you can get them for $300. Yes, you could buy NIB stripped actions for about that much before Remington went out of business.

If I were building a SA, I'd buy this
    https://macbros.com/product/evo-ss-action-short/
    $575 for a full on custom action

I’ve seen them but I am going to custom throat this baby so I can push the long high BC bullets out so the bearing surface of the bullet only reaches to the end of the necks. My initial calculation show that 147 gr ELD M. will be 2.8929 COAL to the rifling. in SAMMI chamber . If you load .005 off the lands COAL Will be 2.8879”. Not bad you think but if you want optimal load you would only want the bobtail to extend back into the case with bearing in the entire neck. To do this the free bore needs to be extended .1457” So cartridge OAL is now 3.0336”. I did this analysis for all the heavies 140 RDF, .1222 ext, 3.2106 COL, Berger 153.5 gr Hybrid, .1767 ext, 3.1136 COL, Berger 156 Elite Hunter, .1597 ext 3.1136 COL, Sierra 150 SMK, .1297 ext 3.0886 COL, I did measure the boat tail on the 147 gr and assumed all were the same but there may be minor differences here. I measured 140 RDF .201 so optimal for that is .902. So I am thinking about pushing it out .10 “. So the RDF’ will load 2.9896”. The 153 hybrid and 156 hunter load out just over 3” Which is why I want to use a long action. Either that or single feed. So I may just switch barrels on the Custom 284 win with a long throat. The the 284 win loaded with 197 SMK’s load out to 3.48”. Then I’ll buy a Magpul Pro chasis for what the action would have cost me. Crazy times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    If you go the custom action route, you can easily set it up to swap barrels on the range and reuse the chassis and optic. I would recommend looking at the Bighorn Origin (825 new) if you go that route. I would recommend them as they can swap the bolt head so if you want to do 308 then a 223 or a magnum, you swap the bolt head and undo one screw and you are good to go. They are also extremely tight tolerances on the action.

Yes its more expensive up front, but you get a lot more versatility woth everything instead of having 3 less expensive rifles, you get one really nice one.

I get it unfortunately big horns are built on a 700 Demi sign with a Savage tendon, no good for Remage

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I’ve seen them but I am going to custom throat this baby so I can push the long high BC bullets out so the bearing surface of the bullet only reaches to the end of the necks. My initial calculation show that 147 gr ELD M. will be 2.8929 COAL to the rifling. in SAMMI chamber . If you load .005 off the lands COAL Will be 2.8879”. Not bad you think but if you want optimal load you would only want the bobtail to extend back into the case with bearing in the entire neck. To do this the free bore needs to be extended .1457” So cartridge OAL is now 3.0336”. I did this analysis for all the heavies 140 RDF, .1222 ext, 3.2106 COL, Berger 153.5 gr Hybrid, .1767 ext, 3.1136 COL, Berger 156 Elite Hunter, .1597 ext 3.1136 COL, Sierra 150 SMK, .1297 ext 3.0886 COL, I did measure the boat tail on the 147 gr and assumed all were the same but there may be minor differences here. I measured 140 RDF .201 so optimal for that is .902. So I am thinking about pushing it out .10 “. So the RDF’ will load 2.9896”. The 153 hybrid and 156 hunter load out just over 3” Which is why I want to use a long action. Either that or single feed. So I may just switch barrels on the Custom 284 win with a long throat. The the 284 win loaded with 197 SMK’s load out to 3.48”. Then I’ll buy a Magpul Pro chasis for what the action would have cost me. Crazy times

I totally I get it. I don't do short actions at all.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I get it unfortunately big horns are built on a 700 Demi sign with a Savage tendon, no good for Remage

You can do the barrel nut on other actions. Unless you already have the barrels in hand, I don't think there'd be any extra cost.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    The barrel was produced this week. Final checking and finishing and then ship. It is what it is. The 284 Win shoots crazy good so I think I am settling on just switching barrels. Shit, with all your tools and gauges out it probably take 10 minutes tops. The more I think about it it is the advantage of having a Remage barrel set up. Can’t shoot both of them at once. Just need to talk this shit out. As I said I get a kick precision chassis set up for the price of a custom receiver. Thanks for listening to my shit boys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    If you already have the barrel made and its a remage, youll need to have an action wrench and a wrench for the nut. I was thinking of something more along the lines of a barloc or a similar system that replaces the nut with a locking collar.

The downside to the remage system is I dont know if many of the custom actions use that thread and the counter bore.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    If you already have the barrel made and its a remage, youll need to have an action wrench and a wrench for the nut. I was thinking of something more along the lines of a barloc or a similar system that replaces the nut with a locking collar.

The downside to the remage system is I dont know if many of the custom actions use that thread and the counter bore.

Yes I already have all the tools and gauges I have built three of them from separate Rem 700 actions. Two were new actions, one was from a doner rifle . Once you have done it once it really is a snap. The hardest part was getting the barrel off the doner rifle. I tried multiple different things but what finally got it to crack was heating the receiver with a torch , not red hot but it broke loose the goo Remington put on the threads at the factory. It was like a locktite. They certainly were not using barrel grease. Putting them on setting the head spacing and then tightening them was a piece of cake. That is why I was saying barrel swap in 10 minutes.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    ef72d0ecf8cba744daba993e754416a5.jpg

So I get home and look what came today. This is my Black Hole Weaponry Remage barrel which ordered almost 9 months ago. Specs are 260 Remington Chamber, 1-8 twist, M24 profile, Polygonal P3 rifling, 5/8 * 24 thread for a brake. This will be a swap out barrel for my 284 win Remington 700 build which has a Remage barrel on it. I can swap barrels in 10 minutes. So I will get a throat extender tool for this barrel to push free bore and lands out .150 inches. This will allow me to load out the 260 Rem cartridge to accept very long high BC bullets. SAMMI spec a Cartridge over all length COAL of 2.8” This will allow me to push 147 gr Hornady ELD M bullets out to roughly 3.18 “. This is why I am going to use a long action, otherwise single feed a shot action. From my calculations I should be able to push these 147’s at 2,928 FPS maybe a little faster. With a 200 yd zero and 10 mph crosswind I will need a vertical adjustment of 6.7 mills and a drift of 1.40 mills at one thousand yards. Two things I have left to do. One rent a throat tool and push out the free bore and lands. Two I have to order a custom brake for the barrel. I have used Mac Gunworks in Wyoming he will custom cut the brake to match your barrel OD at the barrel end. I have one on the on the 284 win barrel works great. We shall see. Here is the 284 win build I will be swapping barrels back and forth with. The 284 is a 28” barrel.
    cfd0e2b9587e7d9b997a1707fc1ad936.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom