Why does different AR15 makers offer different twist rate?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Ar-15-Rifling-Twist-Rate.jpg

Ruger AR15 uses 1:8
    SW M&P Sport II uses 1:9
    Colt uses 1:7

Is 1:9 cheaper barrel cheaper to make than 1:8 or 1:7

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Longer (typically heavier in grain weight in practice as well) bullets typically require a faster twist rate to stabilize. What twist you want depends on what bullets you want to shoot.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Colt uses 1:7 due to military contracts as it's needed to stabilize the NATO tracer round. Colt does 1:8 or 1:9 in some commercial lines. Other makers will use what they believe gives the best compromise across the board for bullet weights. It could also be a cost compromise...which rate of twist is least expensive to produce.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Yes. I understand that per chart picture. Twist rate on the side and bullet weight on top. I'm just curious why Ruger uses 1:8 and SW uses 1:9. It is because they think that what people want or because of cost in manufacturing.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Back when I was stupid, I sold an otherwise-decent upper because it had a 1:9 twist barrel. A bunch of idiots convinced me that I just needed a 1:7 because... I don't even know. I wasn't shooting a bunch of 77gr or anything. It just wasn't cool-guy enough.

These days, if you give me a good price on a high quality barrel that just happens to be 1:9, I'll jump on that fast. I shoot 55gr almost exclusively, so why wouldn't I want a 1:9? All things equal, yeah, I'd prefer 1:8, but if people are going to give me a big discount just because it's 1:9... I'll take it.

ETA: some people confuse the problems with 40gr bullets exploding from being spun too fast with the real issue caused by running 55gr in 1:7 guns - namely that you're spinning the bullet so fast that it suffers deformation and has a decrease in raw accuracy.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Muzzle velocity is also a consideration. Heavier/longer bullets need a higher RPM to stabilize, but they have a lower velocity, especially out of short barrels. Bullet shape also matters, a flat base with a fat ogive will be a lot shorter, and take a slower twist than a sleeker boat tail of the same weight. I've found 69gr SMKs are on the edge of stability in 1:9 twist barrels under 20" and 55gr FMJBTs are plenty accurate from most all of my 1:7s, especially the 10.5". If you calculate actual RPM, the difference between the RPM imparted by a 1:7 vs 1:8 is usually about the same as the RPM difference between a 10.5" and a 14.5" barrel with the same twist once the velocity loss is factored in.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Yes. I understand that per chart picture. Twist rate on the side and bullet weight on top. I'm just curious why Ruger uses 1:8 and SW uses 1:9. It is because they think that what people want or because of cost in manufacturing.

part of it is probably that (afaik, if someone knows different please speak up) neither Ruger nor Smith make their own AR barrels. It is cheaper. for them to sub contract AR barrels out to someone else. The supplier provides a barrel to their spec.

twist rate does not affect price of manufacturing, significantly.

The biggest part of why they use the twist they do is what they believe the customer wants. They are in the business of making and selling guns, after all.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    part of it is probably that (afaik, if someone knows different please speak up) neither Ruger nor Smith make their own AR barrels. It is cheaper. for them to sub contract AR barrels out to someone else. The supplier provides a barrel to their spec.

twist rate does not affect price of manufacturing, significantly.

The biggest part of why they use the twist they do is what they believe the customer wants. They are in the business of making and selling guns, after all.

Probably more than a little truth to this. Long for caliber bullets became a trend, and not only in .223/.556. Some is progress I suppose. Some might be arguably called little more than confusion.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I’m not saying 1:7 is the best, but almost all the top AR manufacturers put 1:7 barrels on their rifles.

Many self defense shooters prefer the 77gr bullets for their better “knockdown power”, so would thus prefer 1:7.

I’ve personally found that high quality 55gr ammo does fine in 1:7 (usually in the 1-2MOA range).

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    I’m not saying 1:7 is the best, but almost all the top AR manufacturers put 1:7 barrels on their rifles.

Many self defense shooters prefer the 77gr bullets for their better “knockdown power”, so would thus prefer 1:7.

I’ve personally found that high quality 55gr ammo does fine in 1:7 (usually in the 1-2MOA range).

I wonder how many 7 twist barrels have never seen/maybe never will see a round longer/ heavier than the comparatively inexpensive (in normal times) 55 or 62 grain offerings that most people buy.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Yup

I wonder how many 7 twist barrels have never seen/maybe never will see a round longer/ heavier than the comparatively inexpensive (in normal times) 55 or 62 grain offerings that most people buy.

Me, too. I have never shot heavier than 62 grain. My .223/5.56 ARs vary from 1:7-1:8. All 16”

bronco

Dec 14, 2020
    se Va
    Keep in mind that the twist rate won't be a major effect on bullet stabilization until you get out to shooting at medium to longer ranges. I've had 1:12 and 1:7 barrels in the past and never noticed any difference at 50 to 100 yards. At 250 yards or more I think it may become a real issue. Maybe one of the guys who shoots competition and has more experience will address this better.

May 13, 2005
    My uncle has a Rem700 in 223, 24", with a 1/12 twist. Its favorite round by far is the 40g varieties. Although try and shoot anything past 62g and it will group them at about 12" at 50 yrds.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    My uncle has a Rem700 in 223, 24", with a 1/12 twist. Its favorite round by far is the 40g varieties. Although try and shoot anything past 62g and it will group them at about 12" at 50 yrds.

And this was pretty well standard for a lot of years, though the AR platform has had its own set of realities, and distinct from bolt guns. Differing twists, barrel lengths and precision expectations are primarily what comes to mind with the AR.

Lots of bullet crossover nowadays too. More than ever I think. Think of a 55 grain bullet at 3100, and you think .223. Push that bullet to 3800, and 22-250 or .220 Swift come to mind. Want 80-100 grain or thereabouts? Now think a jump to 24 caliber, typically in a 10 twist. But 24 caliber today can also mean 55 grain .243 diameter bullets, being pushed at 22-250 and Swift velocities. They are surprisingly precise too. On the other end of the 6mm/.243 spectrum is 115 grain. Used to think topping out at 95-100. That's quite a range of bullet weights. Some now heavier. Some now lighter. Same deal with the 6.5's and the 30's. Just a lot more variation in bullet weights by caliber today. Not a bad thing, but definitely different.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I seem to remember back in the day that the better quality manufacturers used faster twist rates versus the cheaper guys. If all you're shooting is 55gr blasting ammunition, the 9 twist is sufficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom