• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Anybody (IP’s or otherwise) seeing the new Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target rifle in stock yet? Model # 47183, 300 Win Mag? Been on their website a long while now but can’t find anyone selling them yet.

Attachments

• 3366FC3A-637A-4559-BE9E-A22F241A90B3.jpeg
      3366FC3A-637A-4559-BE9E-A22F241A90B3.jpeg
      13.3 KB · Views: 913

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    FINALLY! After nearly a year of this being on their website and all over the internet, Ruger is slowly getting these out. Over the last few weeks I’ve been getting almost daily Grab-a-Gun emails from stockwatch stating they’re in stock, only to find them “out of stock” within minutes each time. The email I got this afternoon finally had ONE left in stock. Now it’s mine, or at least will be in a few days after it ships and when BBP helps me out with the transfer (much appreciated as always Dan).

I’m anxious to get it setup and dialed in, in time for squirrel season. ;)

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Looks like a sweet rifle. I may have to look into these. My more recent addiction to precision shooting has me always looking for different rifles and calibers.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Finally picked her up. Thanks to Dan at Baltimore’s Best Pawn for the transfer. Got her setup, now I just need to quit being a workaholic lump and get to the range (for this and sadly a handful of other new toys).

Attachments

• F9A3E15C-65B2-41C1-AB53-49A91140AF24.jpg
      F9A3E15C-65B2-41C1-AB53-49A91140AF24.jpg
      61.5 KB · Views: 1,754

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I got to get my hands on one of these at Cabela's off Rte 66 in VA yesterday. They had 2 in stock. This feels like a solid rifle. Nice weight and build. If my wife wasn't with me I'd have probably walked out with one haha

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Alright, so now I am debating between this rifle and a Ruger Precision Rifle. Will probably buy the RPR in .338 Lapua since I already own a Ruger 77MKII in .300 Win Mag that I have been using for 2+ decades. Is price the real difference between this setup and the RPR or is there something more? Any significant difference in barrels? Actions?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Been waiting on a range report :D

Wife refused to get me one as a Christmas gift

Got an entire beer brew setup instead lol.....
    Yeah, sorry about that. This has been a crazy Fall. Working too much, hunting a little, had some minor health issues that seem to blow up my weekends. No pity, nothing major - had a kidney stone I couldn’t pass for a couple of weeks, a few bad migraines, and about 5 sinus infections that took me down for a handful of days each, no biggie (PITA time-killer more than anything else). My last range trip was the annual slug gun and hunting rifle checkup. I’d have taken the Win Mag too but the Hap was crazy crowded pre-hunting season. Hopefully sometime over the next month or so I’ll be posting a range report.

By the way, do you or anyone else know what that phone app is that folks use on here that takes pics of your target and computes your MOA and group sizes for you? Looks very helpful.

Last edited:

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Yeah, sorry about that. This has been a crazy Fall. Working too much, hunting a little, had some minor health issues that seem to blow up my weekends. No pity, nothing major - had a kidney stone I couldn’t pass for a couple of weeks, a few bad migraines, and about 5 sinus infections that took me down for a handful of days each, no biggie (PITA time-killer more than anything else). My last range trip was the annual slug gun and hunting rifle checkup. I’d have taken the Win Mag too but the Hap was crazy crowded pre-hunting season. Hopefully sometime over the next month or so I’ll be posting a range report.

By the way, do you or anyone else know what that phone app is that folks use on here that takes pics of your target and computes your MOA and group sizes for you? Looks very helpful.

I have been to Freestate once since May and May was Delmarva. Just loaded some more 338 and ready to get out to shoot. The Hawkeye is on my list for sure. Need to get through the holidays first though haha

I'm not sure what the app is though.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Finally picked her up. Thanks to Dan at Baltimore’s Best Pawn for the transfer. Got her setup, now I just need to quit being a workaholic lump and get to the range (for this and sadly a handful of other new toys).

I thought this was from you too. So, what cartridge did you get the Hawkeye in and what cartridge did you get the RPR in? Don't think I ever received an answer as to why this rifle and not the RPR.

I am looking forward to the range reports. Had been thinking about a Tikka or Sako as a long range rifle. So happy that Ruger has come out with this, and even happier it came out with the RPR in long action magnum cartridges.

Did I mention that I am looking forward to the range reports and a comparison between the two rifles?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I thought this was from you too. So, what cartridge did you get the Hawkeye in and what cartridge did you get the RPR in? Don't think I ever received an answer as to why this rifle and not the RPR.

I am looking forward to the range reports. Had been thinking about a Tikka or Sako as a long range rifle. So happy that Ruger has come out with this, and even happier it came out with the RPR in long action magnum cartridges.

Did I mention that I am looking forward to the range reports and a comparison between the two rifles?
    Hawkeye in 300 Win Mag. RPR in 338 LM. Bought the Hawkeye 1st back in (Sept?), sadly like one of your posts said I still can’t seem to find time to get to the range, or out hunting much. To my knowledge Ruger 338 wasn’t even in production at that time, that happened fairly recently and it went to market quickly. The Hawkeye Long Range was on their website for about 9-10 months, had me searching for it the whole time, frustratingly until I was able to find one finally. Like my OP said in my RPR Mag thread, because of my experience with the Hawkeye wait I didn’t expect the magnum RPR’s out very soon - well I was wrong. Had to go to Davidson’s Gallery of Guns for it (too impatient to wait I suppose).

I definitely will get to the range soon as I can, and give a report on each. Looking soooooo forward to it. With any luck it’ll be next weekend.....

Last edited:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    OK, finally got to the range this afternoon with this rifle. Only got to shoot 8 rounds, but I think I’m gonna love this thing. Very (VERY) preliminary report......

First let me say the ergonomics of this rifle on the bench, using bipod and rear sand bag, OMG. This thing felt better and more natural than any of my other (let’s call it “few”) rifles. The trigger was far better than I thought, way better feel and seemed lighter than the couple hundred times I dry-fired it. Of the eight rounds I fired, 6 of them took me by complete surprise when they broke, just how it should be. The muzzle brake kept things tame, and decently loud, but not really noticeably louder than my .308 RPR, using the same exact brake. Recoil was very minimal, far less than an un-braked 30-06. I was wondering and now, yes - I could easily shoot this all day.

Wasn’t shooting match ammo yet, bought some cheaper hunting ammo to get on paper and break her in a little, Hornady Precision Hunter 200 gr ELD-X. Scope is Vortex Gen 1 Viper PST 6-24 x 50 MRAD. Shot the 100 yds at roughly 12 power btw.

Only had 20 min to shoot since my (new to shooting) buddy had just picked up a new Tavor X95 and I was helping him get it setup and dialed in. I started with 100 yds, only had time for eight shots, 2 x 4 round mags. First shot was a whole target to the left and almost at the very bottom of the paper (oops - forgot to bore sight it). Shot a 2nd to confirm, it touched the 1st. Dialed up elevation approximately to get closer to center, ended up an inch high, called that good enuf. Another 2nd shot (#4) confirmed this. Happy with elevation I dialed right a metric crap ton SWAG. See the attached pic for shot placement and sequence. 5 & 6 were about 1 MOA and damn near center (my SWAG was lucky as heck for sure), then dialed down 4 clicks (MRAD reticle) to get closer to bullseye. Shots 7 & 8 were same-holed, about an inch right. Then cease fire was called, done for the day. I’m not done by far, but for the 1st time ever behind that rifle, first 8 rounds, running against the clock. Basically SUB MOA now, but obviously FAR, FAR too early to tell. So far so good. Hope to have a more thorough review soon for those that have been looking for it (FABS & SLEEV-LESS). Now I need to get the 338 Lapua RPR out for a few rounds!

I’m thrilled with this rifle so far and can’t wait to get back out with it. 6 different match loads to try, more cleanings and breaking in to go. Updates to come......:thumbsup:

(Sorry for the rotated pic, tried for 30 min to fix and well.....F-ING IPAD)

Attachments

• CF4E0372-A926-4CC5-8A20-6857295A9B96.jpg
      CF4E0372-A926-4CC5-8A20-6857295A9B96.jpg
      57.2 KB · Views: 221

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    OK, finally got to the range this afternoon with this rifle. Only got to shoot 8 rounds, but I think I’m gonna love this thing. Very (VERY) preliminary report......

First let me say the ergonomics of this rifle on the bench, using bipod and rear sand bag, OMG. This thing felt better and more natural than any of my other (let’s call it “few”) rifles. The trigger was far better than I thought, way better feel and seemed lighter than the couple hundred times I dry-fired it. Of the eight rounds I fired, 6 of them took me by complete surprise when they broke, just how it should be. The muzzle brake kept things tame, and decently loud, but not really noticeably louder than my .308 RPR, using the same exact brake. Recoil was very minimal, far less than an un-braked 30-06. I was wondering and now, yes - I could easily shoot this all day.

Wasn’t shooting match ammo yet, bought some cheaper hunting ammo to get on paper and break her in a little, Hornady Precision Hunter 200 gr ELD-X. Scope is Vortex Gen 1 Viper PST 6-24 x 50 MRAD. Shot the 100 yds at roughly 12 power btw.

Only had 20 min to shoot since my (new to shooting) buddy had just picked up a new Tavor X95 and I was helping him get it setup and dialed in. I started with 100 yds, only had time for eight shots, 2 x 4 round mags. First shot was a whole target to the left and almost at the very bottom of the paper (oops - forgot to bore sight it). Shot a 2nd to confirm, it touched the 1st. Dialed up elevation approximately to get closer to center, ended up an inch high, called that good enuf. Another 2nd shot (#4) confirmed this. Happy with elevation I dialed right a metric crap ton SWAG. See the attached pic for shot placement and sequence. 5 & 6 were about 1 MOA and damn near center (my SWAG was lucky as heck for sure), then dialed down 4 clicks (MRAD reticle) to get closer to bullseye. Shots 7 & 8 were same-holed, about an inch right. Then cease fire was called, done for the day. I’m not done by far, but for the 1st time ever behind that rifle, first 8 rounds, running against the clock. Basically SUB MOA now, but obviously FAR, FAR too early to tell. So far so good. Hope to have a more thorough review soon for those that have been looking for it (FABS & SLEEV-LESS). Now I need to get the 338 Lapua RPR out for a few rounds!

I’m thrilled with this rifle so far and can’t wait to get back out with it. 6 different match loads to try, more cleanings and breaking in to go. Updates to come......:thumbsup:

(Sorry for the rotated pic, tried for 30 min to fix and well.....F-ING IPAD)

When you finally get to shoot the RPR and the Hawkeye a little more, I would love to hear a comparison. Granted, I already have a couple Ruger M77MKII rifles and I am guessing they are pretty similar to the Hawkeye, if not virtually the same. So, once I get to shoot my RPR, I'll have a decent idea too. Might be a couple years from now, but here's to hoping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom