• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Sounds like you may need to find a new church. One that is comfortable to attend without fear of a bad guy with a gun.

I am blessed that my Southern Maryland pastor is pro 2nd Amendment, he's also a chaplain for the police department, and he continuously ask me 2 carry while I attend. He knows I am in Maryland CCW permit holder.

Everyone on security, knows I carry and we have had many discussions to prevent friendly fire. Pastor told me due to insurance liabilities, he would not be able to provide me a Written Letter giving approval, but I have many text from him requesting me to carry as well as his verbal that he would never prosecute.

Actually my pastor, knowing my position on the subject, has asked me to advise him on the pros and cons. Frankly, I see no pros and quite a few cons, but wanted to solicit the deep and broad knowledge of the MDS community. From my perspective, "making a statement" about being a gun free zone is like putting a sign on your house that says you don't lock your doors. It removes doubt and invites trouble. It also says you are letting emotion override logic. The best policy would be don't ask, don't tell.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    My church is considering declaring itself to be a gun free zone. The supidity of such a declaration aside, what might be the legal consequences for a Maryland concealed carry holder who ignores the declaration?

Unless you want to be a fish in a barrel find another church if they do decide that way.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Unless you want to be a fish in a barrel find another church if they do decide that way.

Some loss of membership is one of the cons. People who carry concealed do so for self defense. No one should know. Prohibiting concealed carry leaves a law abiding person no choice but to vote with their feet.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    Actually my pastor, knowing my position on the subject, has asked me to advise him on the pros and cons. Frankly, I see no pros and quite a few cons, but wanted to solicit the deep and broad knowledge of the MDS community. From my perspective, "making a statement" about being a gun free zone is like putting a sign on your house that says you don't lock your doors. It removes doubt and invites trouble. It also says you are letting emotion override logic. The best policy would be don't ask, don't tell.

No Pros???? Really??

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    Well I can't think of any pros to declaring a church a gun free zone. Have I missed something?

I may have misunderstood his post. It sounded to me that he was staring there was no pro to carry at church. I agree with the fish in barrel example. Especially today.

My pastor was targeted and threatened after he stood on Annapolis steps and said that he believes same sex is wrong a few yrs back. The left can get very violent when you call them out. Churches have become hated by much of the Progressive.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville

What would the point of a gun free zone proclamation?

Not being sarcastic, just wondering in this case. If you are concerned about crazed shooters a sign will do nothing. Even for domestic disputes, a church is not the place where that would seem escalate.

To make people feel better?

fiveloaves

Sep 9, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Thankfully my church has enough off-duty police officers that if a gunman tried anything we'd have to spend some time collecting the empty shells. I wonder if the minister should make an announcement and increase attendance :lol:

topgun1sg

Nov 28, 2007
    Westminster
    Spoke to a preacher in Westminster recently whose CCW application was expedited because of his position as a minister. Not sure if accurate but sounded reasonable.

Amigo109

Jan 25, 2018
    Columbia MD
    Since my church doesn't have an signs on the door that say "No Guns," I assume (and hope) people who have a CCW carry.

Our church doesn't have a policy on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom