• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Got an email today from CMP that my order has been received. The paperwork has been forwarded to sales department for processing.

Again, thanks to cantstop and mcbruzdzinski of guidance both provided for first purchase of M1 Garand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is called the DBU (Don't Bother Us) email. You are in the system the wait just enhances the anticipation and joy when you get it. If you have an Estore account it will show up there just before it ships with the serial number so you can look up it's born on date.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve got my M1 Garand club memebrship and paperwork done. I just need to get it notarized and sent in.

I noticed prices just went up on FG/SG by $20.

I wonder what the wait time will be with all of the Turkish and Philippine Garands CMP just got in. Probably not any better. Lol.

Waiting is going to kill me. Also waiting on getting my C&R back. I’ve got a couple of C&R purchases in mind and hoping I can drive over to VA end of the month/early next month to make them. Almost 3 weeks since I mailed in my application. I realize it’ll likely be another 1-3 before I get it back.

On the CMP order, is there any communication at all until it is shipped?

I have awhile, but I am out of town for a couple of weeks in August. I’d like to think it wouldn’t take 5 months to ship it (assuming I get the paperwork in the mail early next week, it would be almost exactly 5 months before my trip)...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve got my M1 Garand club memebrship and paperwork done. I just need to get it notarized and sent in.

I noticed prices just went up on FG/SG by $20.

I wonder what the wait time will be with all of the Turkish and Philippine Garands CMP just got in. Probably not any better. Lol.

Waiting is going to kill me. Also waiting on getting my C&R back. I’ve got a couple of C&R purchases in mind and hoping I can drive over to VA end of the month/early next month to make them. Almost 3 weeks since I mailed in my application. I realize it’ll likely be another 1-3 before I get it back.

On the CMP order, is there any communication at all until it is shipped?

I have awhile, but I am out of town for a couple of weeks in August. I’d like to think it wouldn’t take 5 months to ship it (assuming I get the paperwork in the mail early next week, it would be almost exactly 5 months before my trip)...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh, other maybe dumb question. If I submit my paperwork with CC info and the price changes later, will they charge more? Will they not take action on it because I said “$750” and the price is $780 now? Or would they contact me to get approval on the price change? Am I being neurotic about it (yes!)?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh, other maybe dumb question. If I submit my paperwork with CC info and the price changes later, will they charge more? Will they not take action on it because I said “$750” and the price is $780 now? Or would they contact me to get approval on the price change? Am I being neurotic about it (yes!)?

Part of it is I’d rather they just charge me more. Well, unless they did something crazy like hikes the price $100 or something between when I mail my order/application and when they ship it to me (I would think the price would be fixed the day they receive my application)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Thanks for the info: cantstop and mcbruzdzinski.

I shoot at AGC occasionally. I’ll try to see my club officers if they could certify the form from CMP website. Otherwise, I have to take one of the NRA courses in order to fulfill this requirement. Worst case scenario, I’ll just wait ‘til I turned 60.

Again, thank you guys for the input.

I just got the Range Safety Officer to sign off on my form.

See post below where I quote myself.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Man, Lazarus, settle down and mail off your order already.!

Just make sure you post lots of pictures of your Garand when you get it. Check the CMP forum for up to date info on shipping times. Varies wildly from 1 week (crazy fast) to six weeks (slow).

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I got the RSO to sign off on mine. I printed it out, put it on a clipboard with a pen, and asked the RSO to watch me shoot, and sign the form if he thought me worthy. I left the clipboard on one of those little tables behind the line, and just did some shooting. At the next cease fire, the form had magically been signed.

The key here is to be very, very careful not to kill anybody while doing this, or you can pretty much forget about getting that paper signed.

hotdog

Dec 8, 2014
    Harford County
    That is called the DBU (Don't Bother Us) email. You are in the system the wait just enhances the anticipation and joy when you get it. If you have an Estore account it will show up there just before it ships with the serial number so you can look up it's born on date.

I did create my Estore account and it appears that my order has been processed however, there is blank info on the shipment date. I will keep checking for the Fedex tracking number.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Threeband, you have a good sense of humor :) But seriously, I talked to the one of the RSO on-duty at AGC. But he turned me down.

What a Schlub. He didn't see you kill anybody, did he? Cause that'll pretty much disqualify you.

You can get a law enforcement officer to sign off, too.

Why not flag down a random cop, give him the form, and ask him to, "Watch me pop a cap on that tree over there. "

Just thinking outside the box.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Gotta get it notarized. My friend who is a notary is a bit busy and undergoing some minor surgery today. So it probably won’t be till Monday or Tuesday that I can get it mailed off.

:-(

Will post all the pictures. Also family photos. The M1 will be joining the Carbine I already have.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Got an email today from CMP that my order has been received. The paperwork has been forwarded to sales department for processing.

Again, thanks to cantstop and mcbruzdzinski of guidance both provided for first purchase of M1 Garand.

Glad we could help out. CMP can be a bit a challenge at times.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Man, Lazarus, settle down and mail off your order already.!

Just make sure you post lots of pictures of your Garand when you get it. Check the CMP forum for up to date info on shipping times. Varies wildly from 1 week (crazy fast) to six weeks (slow).

Here is a link to the CMP Forum thread on New Order Timeline, click on the last page for the most recent results:
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=28081

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    FWIW, here is the timeline on my recent order. I requested a "nice shooter, range gun"

Ordered: RM1SERVICE
    Mail Sent: 1/24/2018
    Mail Received: 1/29/2018
    DBU: 2/9/18
    E-Store: 2/12/18
    Order Number: 146xx
    Case Added: 3/12/18
    CC Charged: 3/12/18
    Ship Date: 3/13/18
    Received: 3/14/18
    Ser No. 632xxx, SA receiver, SA barrel, SA bolt, New CMP Furniture and throat & muzzle gauged at 1 & 1.
    I haven't checked the other parts.

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I feel like I was a bit lucky, too.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Pictures!
    6 digit is cool. I have a 1.0 million which dates to November 1942. 632xxx might be Gas Trap era- probably not, I'm rusty on this stuff and on my phone now. But nice historic piece.

What is the barrel date? Lock the bolt open and look at the numbers exposed on the barrel over the chamber. Might read "4 - 55" or "10-41",something like that.

1/1 barrel sounds new. Probably refurbed then stored. Many refurbs from the 60s have electropencil markings of date and arsenal on the receiver leg, exposed when stock is removed.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Gotta get it notarized. My friend who is a notary is a bit busy and undergoing some minor surgery today. So it probably won’t be till Monday or Tuesday that I can get it mailed off.

:-(

Will post all the pictures. Also family photos. The M1 will be joining the Carbine I already have.

Most banks have a notary. BB&T did my last one.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Pictures!
    6 digit is cool. I have a 1.0 million which dates to November 1942. 632xxx might be Gas Trap era- probably not, I'm rusty on this stuff and on my phone now. But nice historic piece.

What is the barrel date? Lock the bolt open and look at the numbers exposed on the barrel over the chamber. Might read "4 - 55" or "10-41",something like that.

1/1 barrel sounds new. Probably refurbed then stored. Many refurbs from the 60s have electropencil markings of date and arsenal on the receiver leg, exposed when stock is removed.

Posted pics in "Just got it now". I've been a little under the weather so it's going to be a while before I take it apart.
    If I'm reading it right, the barrel is dated January 1965 and the receiver was made in May 1942.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Most banks have a notary. BB&T did my last one.

Yeah, I like my buddy who is on MDS doing that stuff for me. But if he ends up being too busy by Monday or Tuesday next week I’ll probably stop by my bank. I know they have a notary.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Posted pics in "Just got it now". I've been a little under the weather so it's going to be a while before I take it apart.
    If I'm reading it right, the barrel is dated January 1965 and the receiver was made in May 1942.

So it was probably refurbed about 1965. Those late refurbs have a following: people love to check out the electropencil markings on the receiver leg.

Supposedly some were refurbed for Vietnam service, as aid to the ARVNs. The South Vietnamese soldiers hated those huge, heavy things. M1 and M2 Carbines were much more popular.

I once saw some fascinating photos online, showing ARVN troops with Garands in Saigon during the Tet Offensive. You had to feel a little sorry for those "small statured" warriors with those huge rifles as big as themselves.

I suspect most Garands were refurbed "just because" and stored away against an uncertain future.

Nice for us, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom