• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I have read other threads, I understand the "You don't win if you don't play" mantra, but money is money and it don't grow on trees. With stories/experiences you have heard about, would you all mind giving me an idea if I should bother applying for my license to carry?

1. TS/SCI, Do IT/info security
    2. Obviously OPM Breach (does this matter anymore?)
    3. Not even a speeding ticket, I have a Texas LTC (probably doesnt matter)

Thanks all

-G43

Hey G43, give it shot, but be prepared to be denied by MSP and have to appeal to the HPRB. Others on the Fort have had some success using the terrorist angle. Being AD you have an advantage.

BTW, before I retired I was the IAM for an OSD Under Secretary. Wild times; lots of groundbreaking mayhem. And see if you can get to the GFIRST meetings downtown. It will expand your horizons (and contact base) immensely. The DC ISACA Chapter is also a good group to hook up with.

UPDATE: I just got this in; NIST CSRC is another good bunch to get cozy with:
    Topic of the Month:
    NIST Guidance on Application Container Security

Link to the October 2017 ITL Bulletin (CSRC website – PDF file):
    https://csrc.nist.gov/CSRC/media/Publications/Shared/documents/itl-bulletin/itlbul2017-10.pdf

The link below is for all of the ITL Bulletins previously released on CSRC website:
    https://csrc.nist.gov/publications/...,&requestDisplayOption=brief&itemsPerPage=All

There was much rejoicing when we harmonized the DoD C&A directives with the NIST Federal Framework. Then we could finally connect with other agencies in less than two years.

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    Maybe not in YOUR agency. See my response above. If you're determined to disporve the reg, then search all the agency regs and directives from the E.O. on down and show us where it IS allowed. Because in security, you can only do what is allowed in writing or you aren't in security any more.

I once had to come back the next day on a field visit because my imbecile Security Officer gave me a sealed envelope containing my visit request. He had to resend it directly to them before they would let me in. And he had a new azzhole the following day.

NSA clearly states that listing clearance information, including SCI, is acceptable to put on resumes. How is this any different?

https://www.nsa.gov/resources/everyone/prepub/assets/files/resume-dos-donts.pdf

If divulging the level of your clearance was some kind of "violation", then sites like clearancejobs and cleared jobs fairs wouldn't exist. Do you think clearancejobs has a CAGE code that allows them to hold their database of individuals clearances? No way, Jose

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Dude. Everyone here says it's "illegal" for anyone to mention their clearance status. I just want to see the proof. I'm retired, i have no agency. Show the USC.

Good, then you have time to look yourself. I'm not going to do your research for you. Again. Try 18 USC for DoD and their consumer agencies. or 10 USC for DOE. :wave:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    NSA clearly states that listing clearance information, including SCI, is acceptable to put on resumes. How is this any different?

https://www.nsa.gov/resources/everyone/prepub/assets/files/resume-dos-donts.pdf

If divulging the level of your clearance was some kind of "violation", then sites like clearancejobs and cleared jobs fairs wouldn't exist. Do you think clearancejobs has a CAGE code that allows them to hold their database of individuals clearances? No way, Jose

I'm just going back to 20 years in the business. I remember when DSS and I went through the fires of Hell to devise a "magic phrase" that could be used to identify TS without divulging it was a TS. And NSA liked to flash around their Blue Badge to circumvent Visit Requests, until they got their pee pee whacked..

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I don't know the rules, but I have heard several applicants disclose they have TS/S clearances at HPRB meetings.

If they say it in a non-public space, then it's on them and "From their lips to God's ears." People are gonna do what people are gonna do, right or wrong. I learned that early on.

Apr 3, 2017
    Been doing some research on how to and requirements for CCW.

If you search around for videos of Maryland CCW hearings, you can see what others have used to get their existing CCW permits unrestricted. Listen to their arguments and what MSP has to say.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0HPo7SEtVo

What I've learned is that MSP has the burden of proof to state why your permit must remain restricted. In the first 2 cases (spoiler alert), MSP had nothing and so the board unanimously votes for removal of restriction.

I get the feeling the MSP is the ultimate bottleneck to CCW freedom, not the board.

As far as getting your CWW in the first place, you should talk to a firearms instructor. There's a known set of business/financial requirements if you go the route of business owner. Not sure if the OPM breach or clearance will make a difference.

If you need a recommendation, try calling Jamie Miller at Target Rich Training, 410-924-4635.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    OP I hope you are not discouraged enough to not go through with this by what you have read on this thread. There are people in your exact same situation getting permits.

BeoBill I still love you man!

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Been doing some research on how to and requirements for CCW.

If you search around for videos of Maryland CCW hearings, you can see what others have used to get their existing CCW permits unrestricted. Listen to their arguments and what MSP has to say.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0HPo7SEtVo

What I've learned is that MSP has the burden of proof to state why your permit must remain restricted. In the first 2 cases (spoiler alert), MSP had nothing and so the board unanimously votes for removal of restriction.

I get the feeling the MSP is the ultimate bottleneck to CCW freedom, not the board.

As far as getting your CWW in the first place, you should talk to a firearms instructor. There's a known set of business/financial requirements if you go the route of business owner. Not sure if the OPM breach or clearance will make a difference.

If you need a recommendation, try calling Jamie Miller at Target Rich Training, 410-924-4635.

I don't believe Target Rich is an IP on this forum so your post should be edited to exclude that referral. Many trainers pay to keep this forum running, they deserve the courtesy of not having to compete here with trainers who don't keep the place running.

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    I'm just going back to 20 years in the business. I remember when DSS and I went through the fires of Hell to devise a "magic phrase" that could be used to identify TS without divulging it was a TS. And NSA liked to flash around their Blue Badge to circumvent Visit Requests, until they got their pee pee whacked..

I'm a blue badger and routinely use it instead of a visit request at a multitude of locations, both .gov and contractor. That's what it's for. It also known information what minimum level of clearance and access the badge holder has.

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    But those SAPs....

So special...Like when the JFAN 6/9 was nothing more than a "SAPF" for "SCIF" find/replace of the DCID...or like when the community stopped playing into the "I'm specialer" shenanigans and stopped allowing separate IDS, access control systems and locks and made them basically reciprocal facilities?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom