• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I searched the site & only found an old summer of 2016 thread that said handgun mag extension manufacturers wouldn't ship to MD because they don't want to deal with the MD laws and/or it's banned here. Couldn't find much more on that or anything more recent. Does anyone know if currently that's been addressed, and I can now buy some Taran Tactical or others' 2 or 5 round mag extension kits for a 15 or 17 round 9mm pistol mag?

I'm going on the assumption of NO - that this is the same as buying the hi cap mags (or at least my sister in PA buying them and me picking them up when I go see her). I can grab the mag extensions the same way, just would prefer not to. The reason I'm curious is that I know I can't "build" a high cap mag in MD, but the mags are already high-cap, I'd just be adding more. I suppose a 2nd question I'd have to ask is if I am relegated to taking possession of the mag kits in PA, would I then have to assemble the already high cap mag in PA, or could I bring the kit home & install them?

Apologies if this rehashed an older thread or if it's just common knowledge that I should know anyway. Either way, your advice is appreciated.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    What if you're adding an extension to a 7rd mag that would be OK right? Why not ship to MD? I think you can get them on Ebay. As long as you're not modifying them to take more than 10 rounds in MD you should be fine.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Nope. 17 rd S&W M&P 2.0 9 mm. Also 15 rd Walther Q5 Match 9mm. Wanna add +5 rd Taylor Freelance extensions to one or both models. Already over 10 rds. They'll be 22 or 20 rounds respectively. Since they're already over 10, would it be wrong to make them even bigger?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    How can it be wrong when is feels so right?

If you can get them shipped to you (some places will ship mag extensions to MD) you will need to assemble the mags out of state, or be super sneaky. Also you will want to get stronger springs or you will most likely get failure to feed issues.

Modifying your mag to accept more than 10 rounds in MD is illegal.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I'm already planning to have my sister buy them for me, shipped to her house in PA, me going there and assembling them on her kitchen table. I'd rather not, but my nephew will be glad to see me anyway.

Again though, I'm NOT going to convert from a MD legal 10 rounder to a high-cap mag, they're already in excess of 10 rounds. Just wondering if that matters or not. The way I understand it, it's not legal to modify a mag to exceed 10 rounds, essentially taking a "legal" mag & making it "illegal", but in my case its's already "illegal" kinda sorta (legal if purchased & possesion in PA). Did I find a loophole or am I reading too much into this?

The old 2016 post said these manufacturers won't ship here anyway, so I may not have a choice. If any MDS folks had experiences to the contrary I'd like to hear them.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I'm already planning to have my sister buy them for me, shipped to her house in PA, me going there and assembling them on her kitchen table. I'd rather not, but my nephew will be glad to see me anyway.

Again though, I'm NOT going to convert from a MD legal 10 rounder to a high-cap mag, they're already in excess of 10 rounds. Just wondering if that matters or not. The way I understand it, it's not legal to modify a mag to exceed 10 rounds, essentially taking a "legal" mag & making it "illegal", but in my case its's already "illegal" kinda sorta (legal if purchased & possesion in PA). Did I find a loophole or am I reading too much into this?

The old 2016 post said these manufacturers won't ship here anyway, so I may not have a choice. If any MDS folks had experiences to the contrary I'd like to hear them.
    I have never had an issue getting extensions shipped here for magazines that are already high capacity. You are also not manufacturing a magazine over ten rounds if it already holds over ten rounds prior to adding the extension.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    The hi-cap magazine ban is brainless, mostly because it's so easily circumvented. The ban also grandfathers so many into legality that it pointless. Those who would use them for vile purposes also can easily skirt the law by buying them in a state where they're legal. And even if they eliminate the grandfather clause and ban all hi-cap magazines nationwide, there are still so many existing magazines that wouldn't be turned in, that the law would simply be used to persecute law abiding shooters (which is okay with Maryland as I'm fairly certain that many in this miserable state are happy to make life as difficult as possible for gun owners, period).

Finally, 10-round magazines are just as lethal as 25-rounders. They're easy to change and to carry on one's person. This alone is the primary reason hi-cap magazine bans are ridiculous. In Maryland, selling magazines holding more than 10 rounds are illegal and many companies won't ship extenders into the state. I was refused an order of 20-round magazines for my S&W 659, even though I understand them, at the time, to be legal in Maryland. Anything more than that would be illegal, such as the popular 25-round mags for the Ruger 10/22.

These idiotic laws are based on voluntary compliance, since they're so easy to circumvent. That being the case, perhaps Maryland should have a law allowing the possession of hi-cap magazines, but restricting the user from loading more than 10 rounds into them!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This is MDS . That wasn't rambling, barely made "slightly wordy" .

And besides, he actually used paragraphs , so no worries .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom