• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It's not a fluke hr218 states an agency Id plus a qualification ID the dod just made there own policy I don't work for the army any more if my state issue me a leosa qualification course I have meet the I fall under Maryland law not dod regulations.

But where is your agency ID that says you are a separated Law Enforcement Officer? That's what HR 218 requires.

What CJroman posted about the regulations seems accurate.

This is from the NRA law enforcement division LEOSA regulations.

http://le.nra.org/leosa.aspx

"§ 926C. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified retired law enforcement officers
    (2)(A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that indicates the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer;"

You don't have that, right? You just have some old DOD id. And you did not go through that contracting company to get the proper DOD separated LEO id.

Nowhere does it say anything about how you came about your card.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    But where is your agency ID that says you are a separated Law Enforcement Officer? That's what HR 218 requires.

What CJroman posted about the regulations seems accurate.

This is from the NRA law enforcement division LEOSA regulations.

http://le.nra.org/leosa.aspx

"§ 926C. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified retired law enforcement officers
    (2)(A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that indicates the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer;"

You don't have that, right? You just have some old DOD id. And you did not go through that contracting company to get the proper DOD separated LEO id.

;)

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    http://www.fop.net/legislative/issues/hr218/hr218faq.pdf
    Where does it say it has to say they are law enforcement

Right here in the DOD regulation pdf from 2014
    Sorry for all the copy n paste. The whole pdf is available from the NRA webpage here http://le.nra.org/leosa/leosa-welcomes-the-military.aspx and to the left side it has a "DOD Identification order link". That's the pdf I copied all this from. Peruse that pdf at your leisure.

DoDI 5525.12, February 13, 2014
    Component.
    b. In accordance with section 926C of Reference (d), notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, a qualified retired law enforcement officer may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, if the retired law enforcement officer complies with paragraphs 3b(1) and (2), or 3b(1) and (3) of this section.
    (1) Meets the requirements of a “qualified retired law enforcement officer” as outlined in Enclosure 3 of this instruction.
    (2) Carries photographic identification issued by the DoD Component from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a law enforcement officer and indicates that the individual has within the past 12 months been found to have met the Component’s active duty standards for qualification in firearms to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.
    (3) Carries:
    (a) Photographic identification issued by the DoD Component from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a law enforcement officer, and

BREAK

QUALIFIED RETIRED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. To qualify for the identification card, an individual must meet all the following criteria:
    8 ENCLOSURE 3
    a. Be separated in good standing from service with a DoD Component as a law enforcement officer.
    b. Before separation, have been authorized to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution, or the incarceration of any person for any violation of law.
    c. Before separation had statutory powers of arrest or authority to apprehend pursuant to Reference (k).
    d. Before separation, have served as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 10 years or more, or separated from service with a DoD Component, after completing any applicable probationary period of service, due to a service-connected disability, as determined by that Component.
    e. During the most recent 12-month period, have met, at the expense of the individual, the standards for qualification in firearms training for active law enforcement officers, as determined by the individual’s former DoD Component, the State in which the individual resides or, if the State has not established standards, either a law enforcement agency within the State in which the individual resides or the standards used by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State.
    f. Have not been officially found by a qualified medical professional employed by the DoD Component to be unqualified for reasons of mental health and as a result of this finding will not be issued the identification card described in section 4 of this enclosure.
    g. Have not entered into an agreement with the DoD Component from which the individual is separating from service in which that individual acknowledges he or she is not qualified under section 926C of Reference (d) and this instruction for reasons relating to mental health and for those reasons will not receive or accept the identification card described in section 4 of this enclosure. Nothing in this instruction requires a mental health examination for separating or separated law enforcement officers seeking a LEOSA identification card.
    h. Agree that while armed, will not be under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance.
    i. Not be prohibited by federal law from receiving a firearm.
    4. QUALIFIED RETIRED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER IDENTIFICATION CARDS. The cognizant DoD Component will:
    a. Require any previously separated law enforcement officer requesting an identification card to submit documentation to their former law enforcement organization or agency that demonstrates that they meet the criteria in section 3 of this enclosure.
    9 ENCLOSURE 3
    b. Determine specific required documentation.
    c. Before issuing a photographic identification card, perform a National Crime Information Center or similar criminal records check to establish that the individual is not prohibited from carrying a firearm.
    d. If appropriate, issue a photographic identification card similar to that in the Figure. At a minimum, the card will:
    (1) Include the separated law enforcement officer’s name and an identification number assigned by the issuing organization.
    (2) Contain a current photograph of the separated law enforcement officer.
    (3) Contain these statements:
    (a) “The individual pictured above, separated in good standing from service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer and on the date issued, has met the requirements of section 926C of Title 18, United States Code.”
    (b) “This card does not grant the bearer any authority to act on the agency’s behalf or to exercise any law enforcement authority.”
    (c) “DoD Law Enforcement Officer (Separated).”
    (4) Be dated and signed by the separated law enforcement officer and the head of the issuing organization.
    (5) Contain an issue date.

e. Brief the separated law enforcement officer on issuance of the identification card:
    (1) On the criteria for receiving the card, emphasizing that the card does not grant any authority to act on the agency’s behalf or to exercise any law enforcement authority.
    (2) That for the card to be valid, he or she must not carry a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or any other intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance.
    f. Maintain data identifying the separated law enforcement officers who have been issued the photographic identification cards and the dates of their issuance.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    Right here in the DOD regulation pdf from 2014
    Sorry for all the copy n paste. The whole pdf is available from the NRA webpage here http://le.nra.org/leosa/leosa-welcomes-the-military.aspx and to the left side it has a "DOD Identification order link". That's the pdf I copied all this from. Peruse that pdf at your leisure.

Component.
    b. In accordance with section 926C of Reference (d), notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, a qualified retired law enforcement officer may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, if the retired law enforcement officer complies with paragraphs 3b(1) and (2), or 3b(1) and (3) of this section.
    (1) Meets the requirements of a “qualified retired law enforcement officer” as outlined in Enclosure 3 of this instruction.
    (2) Carries photographic identification issued by the DoD Component from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a law enforcement officer and indicates that the individual has within the past 12 months been found to have met the Component’s active duty standards for qualification in firearms to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.
    (3) Carries:
    (a) Photographic identification issued by the DoD Component from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a law enforcement officer, and

BREAK

QUALIFIED RETIRED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. To qualify for the identification card, an individual must meet all the following criteria:
    8 ENCLOSURE 3
    a. Be separated in good standing from service with a DoD Component as a law enforcement officer.
    b. Before separation, have been authorized to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution, or the incarceration of any person for any violation of law.
    c. Before separation had statutory powers of arrest or authority to apprehend pursuant to Reference (k).
    d. Before separation, have served as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 10 years or more, or separated from service with a DoD Component, after completing any applicable probationary period of service, due to a service-connected disability, as determined by that Component.
    e. During the most recent 12-month period, have met, at the expense of the individual, the standards for qualification in firearms training for active law enforcement officers, as determined by the individual’s former DoD Component, the State in which the individual resides or, if the State has not established standards, either a law enforcement agency within the State in which the individual resides or the standards used by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State.
    f. Have not been officially found by a qualified medical professional employed by the DoD Component to be unqualified for reasons of mental health and as a result of this finding will not be issued the identification card described in section 4 of this enclosure.
    g. Have not entered into an agreement with the DoD Component from which the individual is separating from service in which that individual acknowledges he or she is not qualified under section 926C of Reference (d) and this instruction for reasons relating to mental health and for those reasons will not receive or accept the identification card described in section 4 of this enclosure. Nothing in this instruction requires a mental health examination for separating or separated law enforcement officers seeking a LEOSA identification card.
    h. Agree that while armed, will not be under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance.
    i. Not be prohibited by federal law from receiving a firearm.
    4. QUALIFIED RETIRED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER IDENTIFICATION CARDS. The cognizant DoD Component will:
    a. Require any previously separated law enforcement officer requesting an identification card to submit documentation to their former law enforcement organization or agency that demonstrates that they meet the criteria in section 3 of this enclosure.
    9 ENCLOSURE 3
    b. Determine specific required documentation.
    c. Before issuing a photographic identification card, perform a National Crime Information Center or similar criminal records check to establish that the individual is not prohibited from carrying a firearm.
    d. If appropriate, issue a photographic identification card similar to that in the Figure. At a minimum, the card will:
    (1) Include the separated law enforcement officer’s name and an identification number assigned by the issuing organization.
    (2) Contain a current photograph of the separated law enforcement officer.
    (3) Contain these statements:
    (a) “The individual pictured above, separated in good standing from service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer and on the date issued, has met the requirements of section 926C of Title 18, United States Code.”
    (b) “This card does not grant the bearer any authority to act on the agency’s behalf or to exercise any law enforcement authority.”
    (c) “DoD Law Enforcement Officer (Separated).”
    (4) Be dated and signed by the separated law enforcement officer and the head of the issuing organization.
    (5) Contain an issue date.

e. Brief the separated law enforcement officer on issuance of the identification card:
    (1) On the criteria for receiving the card, emphasizing that the card does not grant any authority to act on the agency’s behalf or to exercise any law enforcement authority.
    (2) That for the card to be valid, he or she must not carry a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or any other intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance.
    f. Maintain data identifying the separated law enforcement officers who have been issued the photographic identification cards and the dates of their issuance.
    ;)

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If Maryland doesn't issue leosa credentials to military police how is my mine issued by them? And I have had mine since 2011.
    "Qualified DoD Law Enforcement Officer". I shoot with my old unit in this state as well as a local PD." , leosa agency Id are just that an Id without the Leasa qualification course the card is useless . There for if you live in the geographical region of Maryland and get your qualifications course issued by a Maryland police department you fall under COMAR ; aka MSP doctrine so there hands are in the credential process.

Where I got mine
    http://www.mdle.net/pdf/LEOSAform.pdf

You have had your LEOSA since 2011?

They didn't qualify DOD for LESOA until 2013.
    From the NRA le FAQ page here...http://le.nra.org/leosa/frequently-asked-questions.aspx

6. I am active duty or retired military/DoD police. Does LEOSA apply to me?Yes. On January 2nd, 2013 LEOSA was amended to specifically allow for active and "retired" (as defined by LEOSA) military and DoD police and law enforcement officers with UCMJ apprehension authority to qualify for the statute; however, a standard CAC or blue retiree card will not work for LEOSA purposes as the photographic ID must identify the individual as either being actively or having once been employed as a police or law enforcement officer of the agency. The DoD's LEOSA policy, DODI 5525.12 (included as a link on our LEOSA homepage) was recently amended to address this issue.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Just got off the phone with a trooper I know
    Pretty much said it's at the discretion of the state on what is required to issue and maryland doesn't just hand leosa qualification out.

Dude. I guarantee that Trooper does not know with any authority about LEOSA. Will he testify for you in court? LOL
    As it stands, looks like you do not have an agency ID stating you were previously an LEO and you are not in accordance with the law. Just sayin'.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    http://www.mdle.net/pdf/LEOSAform.pdf

Where does it say your Id must state you are a law enforcement officer this form is still in use.

Dude. The MARYLAND STATE POLICE does not supersede The LEOSA act.

That form is from 2011, 2 years before DOD was even considered for LEOSA.

However, on the very bottom of the page 2, it says federal eligibility for 926(c).

Again. How can you qualify for something 2 years before you were even allowed?

2 people here showed you how you are not satisfying the requirements under LEOSA. I get it. It's easy to turn a blind eye to it since you already have it.

Nothing may never happen, but suffice it to say you are dancing with the concealed carry devil. Me? I would look into making myself legal.

You have a good weekend.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    Dude. The MARYLAND STATE POLICE does not supersede The LEOSA act.

That form is from 2011, 2 years before DOD was even considered for LEOSA.

However, on the very bottom of the page 2, it says federal eligibility for 926(c).

Again. How can you qualify for something 2 years before you were even allowed?

2 people here showed you how you are not satisfying the requirements under LEOSA. I get it. It's easy to turn a blind eye to it since you already have it.

Nothing may never happen, but suffice it to say you are dancing with the concealed carry devil. Me? I would look into making myself legal.

You have a good weekend.
    You too ;/

Last edited:

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    True. But if the reason you were able to get the wear and carry was because of the LEOSA, then I would think that would be null and void.

Like I state earlier I got the wear and carry because I was an mp in Maryland at sometime in my carry. Issue permits to police in Maryland all I needed was a letter from my commander

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Document D...nforcementOfficersWearandCarryPermitfinal.pdf

.07 required documentation

A. Federal Law Enforcement, Active, Former or Retired Maryland Law Enforcement Officer (ALLIED): The applicant is required to submit a copy of his law enforcement agency identification card and a letter from his department stating he separated, retired or are currently employed in “good standing” and that there are no open/unresolved internal investigations.

B. Department of State Police employees are not required to submit a letter; confirmation from the Department will be obtained by Licensing Division employees.

C. Eligible federal law enforcement officers will be required to confirm their service/assignment in Maryland. This confirmation may be included in the “letter of good standing” referred to in “A”.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Like I state earlier I got the wear and carry because I was an mp in Maryland at sometime in my carry. Issue permits to police in Maryland all I needed was a letter from my commander

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Document D...nforcementOfficersWearandCarryPermitfinal.pdf

.07 required documentation

A. Federal Law Enforcement, Active, Former or Retired Maryland Law Enforcement Officer (ALLIED): The applicant is required to submit a copy of his law enforcement agency identification card and a letter from his department stating he separated, retired or are currently employed in “good standing” and that there are no open/unresolved internal investigations.

B. Department of State Police employees are not required to submit a letter; confirmation from the Department will be obtained by Licensing Division employees.

C. Eligible federal law enforcement officers will be required to confirm their service/assignment in Maryland. This confirmation may be included in the “letter of good standing” referred to in “A”.

I got it. You just keep posting forms. I just think your whole carrying situation is cloudy and a possible nightmare. But it's your life. Good luck with your endeavors LOL

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I was here to help people with getting leosa .
    Not to prove the legality of my permits; which people seem want to jump on the band wagon
    To prove I'm not legal . I can tell you I've beeen doing this for 6 year pretty sure I'm good to go!

You mean you have coasted by under the radar for the last 6 years.
    2 of us showed you the DOD regulation as far as ID cards go and you still don't see it. Someone dropped the ball because they didn't verify your qualification under 926(c), 2 years before DOD were even qualified.
    Do you even ask yourself "How in the hell could I be approved for something before it was even legal?".
    I can keep going on and on. Hey, maybe I am wrong.
    Who knows. Maybe if you wen't to go about it the right way and get your agency ID through that contractor service, you don't think you would get approved, so you just roll the dice. :)

Let's hope any cop (Ones you don't do "EP" with) ever ask you for your agency id.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    You mean you have coasted by under the radar for the last 6 years.
    2 of us showed you the DOD regulation as far as ID cards go and you still don't see it. Someone dropped the ball because they didn't verify your qualification under 926(c), 2 years before DOD were even qualified.
    Do you even ask yourself "How in the hell could I be approved for something before it was even legal?".
    I can keep going on and on. Hey, maybe I am wrong.
    Who knows. Maybe if you wen't to go about it the right way and get your agency ID through that contractor service, you don't think you would get approved, so you just roll the dice. :)

;)

Last edited:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I've already submitted to dc first off .
    Leosa is federally mandated but each state can enforce there own regulations on the matter
    Ammo,off limit places, and magazine capacity.

Under leosa Federally you can't have over 10 round magazine or Carry on public school.

But Maryland protect you under there regulations ,so you can be a visitor to a student of the school if you have you credentials in open view.

Maryland has no Stance on over 10 round mags being carried. But if you choose to carry over 10 round you are violating leosa federally,but are with in the scope of Maryland laws.

And as far as 2 year prior I had military cid, counter intelligence,and mp in my class we where the first group of military leosa in maryland .
    There is no federal prohibition on over ten round mags. I think you are confused.

LEOSA doesn't get you around a States law that prohibits high capacity mags.

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    I've already submitted to dc first off .
    Leosa is federally mandated but each state can enforce there own regulations on the matter
    Ammo,off limit places, and magazine capacity.

Under leosa Federally you can't have over 10 round magazine or Carry on public school.

But Maryland protect you under there regulations ,so you can be a visitor to a student of the school if you have you credentials in open view.

Maryland has no Stance on over 10 round mags being carried. But if you choose to carry over 10 round you are violating leosa federally,but are with in the scope of Maryland laws.

And as far as 2 year prior I had military cid, counter intelligence,and mp in my class we where the first group of military leosa in maryland .

There is nothing in LEOSA stating you can't have over 10 round magazines. You do have to respect any magazine restriction within the state...MD law doesn't restrict possession. I've qualified with two local sheriffs offices and neither have said anything about the fact I was using a G19 with 15 round magazines. I routinely carry same G19 with 15 round magazines in MD. If I know I'm going to DC, NJ, NY or anywhere else with capacity restrictions for use and carry, I go with my Walther PPS (7-8 round).

The assertion you can carry under LEOSA as a "Retired" officer on MD public school property with credentials in plain view is incorrect. FSA 2013 now restricts this to active LEO, with credentials in view. Any provision for retired/separated carrying in a school under LEOSA was taken out and has been not in COMAR since 2013. Prior to October 1, 2013 carry by "Qualified Retired " LEO under LEOSA was allowed on MD school property...
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmStatutesText.aspx?article=gcr&section=4-102&ext=html&session=2015RS&tab=subject5
    §4–102.

(a) This section does not apply to:

(1) a law enforcement officer in the regular course of the officer’s duty;

(2) an off–duty law enforcement officer who is a parent, guardian, or visitor of a student attending a school located on the public school property, provided that:

(i) the officer is displaying the officer’s badge or credential; and

(ii) the weapon carried or possessed by the officer is concealed;

(3) a person hired by a county board of education specifically for the purpose of guarding public school property;

(4) a person engaged in organized shooting activity for educational purposes; or

(5) a person who, with a written invitation from the school principal, displays or engages in a historical demonstration using a weapon or a replica of a weapon for educational purposes.

(b) A person may not carry or possess a firearm, knife, or deadly weapon of any kind on public school property.

(c) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $1,000 or both.

(2) A person who is convicted of carrying or possessing a handgun in violation of this section shall be sentenced under Subtitle 2 of this title.

There are several advantages to LEOSA...research should be done by each person who uses it to ensure where they may travel they aren't in violation of any state provisions. For example, my son had baseball tournaments this summer in North and South Carolina. With LEOSA under NC law I could still carry in parks and recreation facilities that were marked as "No Firearms Allowed" under NC CCW law, and even carry on school property. However, in SC, even with LEOSA, I had to abide by all posted signs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom