• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    I like this idea...although I'm thinking I'd still want wooden dowels, or small square pieces inserted into the PVC, maybe 2 feet off of the ground, to get the target to it's required height?

I attached my "blueprint" :lol2: Of how I was thinking of making it, using scrap steel from around the shop...the "all-thread" holding the 2 sides together would be very easily removed for an almost flat 2'x2' storage.

I have some extra 8' lengths of 1 1/2 pvc if you need them. Just let me know.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Got me thinkin again and I made a base today for using my Barnes range target over on the pistol range. I need to get some pics, but it's made of 2" PVC and the uprights are not glued in, so I can use different ones to adjust the target height if needed. I can now take my 1x2 target frame and stick it in the base and it is tall enough (should be, need to test it out) to work over on the pistol range and be freestanding. It's about 2 x 3' wide and the uprights just stick into the tees, the rifle target frame sits down into them and rests on the crosspiece of the target frame. Should work well, I think... lol

May add some sand or gravel to the base, but it's out of sch40 pipe, so it's pretty heavy and stable on it's own..

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Those look fantastic. They look like something one would buy retail. Very nice

Full disclosure, I've built hundreds of them. Even dollies to cart them, sticks, targets and tape around.

IMG00144.jpg

Originally designed for making match setup/tear down quick and easy when you don't have as much help as you should.

IMG00146.jpg

They work just as good if your by yourself, you just don't need as many.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Jmorrismetal, now you're just showing off...;):D

Just kidding. Yours look great. :party29:

I decided I'm just going to go the PVC route, the main pipe was free, so all I need is 4 T's, and two 1x2 "sticks", and a stapler, and I'll call it a day.

I may not ever even use it, who knows, so don't want to spend too much time and effort...especially with drag racing season starting in a week or so...I won't be doing much shooting for the next couple months anyway.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Here is mine. All PVC and sturdy as hell. Drill holes in bottom tubes and drive nails into the ground to prevent wind movement.

Yes that is an ice cream cone.

Attachments

• TS.jpg
      TS.jpg
      78 KB · Views: 215

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I built this one. The base is weighted with ballast and sealed. It breaks down into 2 parts for easy transport. Just buy 2 extremely cheap 8-foot 1x2" strips of wood at Lowe's or Home Depot and voila

33393033401_0b180e6ee0_c.jpg

33521868115_98c5b7f8cf_c.jpg

Here are the plans
    http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/how-to-build-a-pvc-target-stand/

That's my set up.

Tip....when your at Lowes, walk to the,end of appliances to the NO CUSTOMERS chain and ask the employees for cardboard. They use large, stiff square pieces under and over appliances and stack the up for the compactor. Great for backing targets.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I have no pics, but will describe mine.

I used 2x4s and screwed cheap metal fencing stakes from tractor supply to each side of a 2x4. It can be easily stuck in the ground and removed. I've used them to mount steel plates to, as well as using 2x4s screwed together to make squares/ rectangles that corrugated plastic can be stapled to in order to hang paper targets.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I also went with a PVC target stand, after a trip to Elk Neck with a friend who had such a target stand. I did make everything above 1 foot in height out of wood since I did not want to be picking up tiny chunks of PVC if a round went astray. I feel obligated to clean up my plastic garbage, but splinters of wood are different.

For the PVC stands, you don't need sandbags. You can use landscaping staples. Put two on each side of the base and the wind isn't taking them anywhere. Much lighter.

Thanks for the great idea, this will be much easier than loading a couple sandbags into the trunk when I head to the range.

Tip....when your at Lowes, walk to the,end of appliances to the NO CUSTOMERS chain and ask the employees for cardboard. They use large, stiff square pieces under and over appliances and stack the up for the compactor. Great for backing targets.

Another great idea, thanks!

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I make mine from 1x1 and 1x2 box tube and drop sticks in them to staple the targets to.

HPIM0727.jpg

I make them so they stack for storage.

HPIM0727.jpg

This one is an "adjustable" one I built. I can make the target area 6 feet X 6 feet if I want and slide to more sticks in the bases so the wind won't blow it over, handy for long range play or anytime you might want multiple targets up.

IMAG0326.jpg

Ringer! > Nice!

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Here is one I built a long time ago, made to fit targets then made by Sears, Roebuck and co. Metal clips behind the angle hold the paper targets and just step off the distance you want and stomp it into the ground.

IMG_20170325_103157_004_zpss0xsucf3.jpg

Not unlike people using old campaign signs and such as target holders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom