• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    Greetings. I'm in AA County right now, but looking to move to Calvert this summer. I was hoping to get some local input on the Sunderland/Huntingtown area. I have younger, school-aged kids, so schools are important. From what I've heard so far, most schools in the area are pretty good. I commute to DC and would love to hear other's input. Any areas I should avoid all together? Any St. Charles Sportsman's Club members? I'm looking to join once I make the move. I grew up fishing and love the outdoors, but never really hunted. I hope to eventually get my kids involved and have them appreciate the outdoors as much as I do. Thanks!

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I live pretty close to that area, and work in D.C. I've heard nothing but good things about the schools, and the commute is between 25 min. to an hour. It used to take me 45 min.'s to get to 23rd. and Lst. N.W. And about 35 to RFK. 25 min.'s to Alabama Ave. S.E. Your times will be about the same. I don't know of any real bad area's in Calvert.

Outerlimits

Feb 21, 2009
    Port Tobacco/Cape Coral Fl
    Always liked that area, Huntingtown/ Sunderland. Its growing, but it still has a country feel to the area. Only down side is Rt 2, and the traffic, but I guess their is good and bad. Their a few back roads to get around some of the traffic, but most everyone knows them so, they are just as backed up. Good luck with your search.

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    I have been in Sunderland since 2004. Schools are great. I work in NW DC, by the Cathedral and it's an hour in/hour or so home. This is Leave by 5AM, leave work no later than 3PM. After those times its much longer.
    No big issues. Had the car broken into (along with 3-4 others in the neighborhood) in 2008 (took nothing cause there was nothing to take) and neighbor had home hit back in 2012. There are a few seedy areas along the Rt2 corridor, but generally the Little Lebowski Urban Achievers stay away...Feel free to PM me for any more info.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Been in Calvert since 2001. Schools are better. Hunting town/Sunderland is still considered rural areas. I commute from Calvert to lanham.. No major issue unless route 4 is totally shut down (twice from my recollection.. Flood and truck overturned).

Trouble areas I've heard is in lil PG aka Chesapeake ranch estates area..

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like we're looking in the right area. cj - I'm not worried about the Little Lebowski Urban Achievers. Hopefully someday they'll do what their parents did and get a job, sir.

gutshootem

Feb 27, 2013
    Calvert
    Recently moved to the area and my wife and I also commute into DC daily.
    I work either 7-3 or 3-11 some my commute isn't too bad. She on the other hand has a more normal 9-5 schedule and is not quite so lucky. As far as the commute goes, I'd say stay as far north as you can. The ten mins it takes to get to dunkirk equals 40 extra mins a day on the road to us which does make that much more of a difference after dealing with DC traffic.
    Another thing to consider is that I heard they are building a new high school for Northern in the next few yrs so that may be a factor depending on the age of your children.

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    I moved to Calvert in 2006 from Charles County. Best move I made. The Schools are very good in my opinion, with lots of extras for the kids. I commute from Saint Leonard (south of prince Frederick) at 0500 to SE DC its roughly an hour. I find the biggest traffic issues are in PG. unless someone crashes. but well worth the trade off.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Greetings. I'm in AA County right now, but looking to move to Calvert this summer. I was hoping to get some local input on the Sunderland/Huntingtown area. I have younger, school-aged kids, so schools are important. From what I've heard so far, most schools in the area are pretty good. I commute to DC and would love to hear other's input. Any areas I should avoid all together? Any St. Charles Sportsman's Club members? I'm looking to join once I make the move. I grew up fishing and love the outdoors, but never really hunted. I hope to eventually get my kids involved and have them appreciate the outdoors as much as I do. Thanks!

My youngest daughter just signed a contract on a new house in Huntingtown.
    She's said that the schools are rated VERY GOOD to EXCELLENT.

I'm a St. Charles Sportsman's Club member. Life Member.

We recently bought close to 140 acres in Welcome, MD, plus, we own almost 11 acres of land near Mt. Jackson, VA. (Near the top of one mountain! Beautiful piece of land!)

Several ponds on the Welcome property. I hear there's pretty good fishing in them. (I've not gotten a fishing line wet, in years!)

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I am late to this thread but I have lived in Prince Frederick for 11 years, short of a one year stint in the middle in Hughesville before we got married. My wife's parents have been here since 2000. I like the area so much I have commuted to Rockville, DC, Greenbelt, and now Northern Virginia. Back in 2006 or so, I was looking for something in Huntingtown or Sunderland. It that time it was quite a bit more expensive than Prince Frederick but the commute is 0-10 minutes less, depending on where you live. I ultimately bought in Prince Frederick, right next to Calvert Elementary, and down the street from Calvert High School. Schools were critical for us, and this is why we chose Calvert over Charles County. We have one school-aged child now and I can tell you Calvert Elementary is an excellent school. We recently moved again but one of our priorities were staying close as we love thq community and schools. We ended up only a half mile away. My sister in law stayed on Charles and th schools there are terrible beyond elementary (in Hughesville).

Consequently my old house is for sale now and it is in a great location. I will cut you a great deal (hint hint)!

In any case, when I get about 3 miles down Route 4 off of the beltway or off of Suitland Parkway, all the way until I reach my driveway I know every day that it is worthwhile for me to commute and raise my family here. I always tell people it reminds me of the Eastern Shore once I get five minutes off of the beltway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom