• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    I've been thinking of starting a stamp collection and have a question.
    Would suppressing a .45 cal beretta cx-4 carbine be worth it or should I go a different route? How much sound would that really cut down on?
    Thanks

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Looking to quiet it down to shoot in the yard. It's legal and I would shoot it more if I didn't feel it was bothering the neighbors they have not complained but I would definately use it more.

Not so fast. I need to pee on the parade first. And help you avoid becoming a test-case for 922(r).

Unless you have replaced internal parts to achieve US-made parts requirements, you cannot have a threaded muzzle or a flash-reducing muzzle attachment on a IMPORTED sporting-configuration rifle.

The good news? There is a company out there making US parts for CX-4's. Sierra-something-or-other, I can't remember... But they ARE out there, and they will supposedly even improve the HORRENDOUS trigger on that gun. Did I mention the trigger sucks? Just making sure I got that out there - that my CX-4 has the worst trigger of any gun I've ever owned.... Anyway, the parts ARE out there.

The bad news?

CX-4's suppress horribly. The combination of hollow "thoink" sound from the plastic stock and the noise from the heavy bolt cycling, and the open nature of the action itself that allows a LOT of blast noise to come out of the sides of the gun... Now add to that the fact that a .45 is really loud suppressed to begin with because it's almost .5" wide, and.... it's not worth the trouble.

I've heard a 9mm CX-4 with a Bowers subgun can - a very quiet can on a Mac10 9mm - and it sounded like the loudest paintball marker you've ever heard.

pfffft-CLICK-CLONK..... pffft-CLICK-CLONK......pffft-CLICK-CLONK.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    922r never entered my mind when thinking of doing this...good point:thumbsup:. Mudskipper I'll give this some more thought and see where I end up. Thanks

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    It's Sierra Pappa ... but they may not be in business anymore. The link to their website is down. Also, even if you count all of their US made part together, I don't think that you could make the 'magic' number for 922r.

I've though about this myself, but it's not worth the hassle or expense, especially considering the end result. Find a good U.S. made firearm and have at it.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    Many years ago now, I checked into threading the barrel on my Beretta 9mm carbine. My gunsmith said he couldn't do it because of 922r, and he would need a special (expensive) tool to remove the barrel anyway. I checked several forums, and many, many posts and discussions followed. Can't do it, can so do it, 922r applies, not it doesn't, and so on. If you have a few days, use Google.

I wrote a letter to the BATFE asking for clarification, and their reply to me contradicted a reply they gave someone else. Use at your own risk.

I ended up purchasing a threaded Ruger PC-9 from the guy who made my suppressor, and it works very well. I have since built a 9mm AR-15 and that works -very- well.

My opinion is that you probably could do it without going to jail, but it would be costly. There are better options out there.

Your mileage may vary.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    It's Sierra Pappa ... but they may not be in business anymore. The link to their website is down. Also, even if you count all of their US made part together, I don't think that you could make the 'magic' number for 922r.

I've though about this myself, but it's not worth the hassle or expense, especially considering the end result. Find a good U.S. made firearm and have at it.

Suppress a HiPoint 995. :lol2:

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    My opinion is that you probably could do it without going to jail, but it would be costly. There are better options out there.

Your mileage may vary.

How many people have been jailed on 922(r) violations again? :innocent0

Sure, it's always good to be on the right side of the law, but there seems to be this belief that the 922(r) gestapo is right around the corner. What they need to do is get the US factory building Cx4's with US parts and it wouldn't be a problem.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    How many people have been jailed on 922(r) violations again? :innocent0

Sure, it's always good to be on the right side of the law, but there seems to be this belief that the 922(r) gestapo is right around the corner. What they need to do is get the US factory building Cx4's with US parts and it wouldn't be a problem.

I don't know or care how many. We're all big boys here and you're free to do what you want. This forum (and most others!) is patrolled more closely and often (see above) than any firearms range I've ever been to.

Advice gleaned from the internet is worth what you pay for it, but I'd never advise someone to knowingly break the law.

motox79

May 24, 2010
    damascus
    hey, heres an idea....kinda in the grey area....in fact, i did it myself before i sold my cx4. thread the barrel, then put on a 3 lug adapter (make sure to perm. attach it via solder or pin. A company called T.R.O.S
    The Riddle Of Steel" makes the part) In fact, i still have the "tool" to remove the barrel "lug" on the back side and take out the barrel...made it out of a piece of pipe and a grinder....really easy. I can send a pic of if you want, or shoot me a PM (i'm not opposed to letting you borrow it). I miss my cx4....it was soooo accurate, smooth, etc. In fact, i'm toying with the idea of getting another one and trying to modify the barrel so i can shoot 7.62x25!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom