• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    ACE Ltd's M4 SOCOM "Long Version" . The Long Version starts with 9.5in , and extends to 11.5in.

Mine is just a hair over 12.5" with the rubber pad.

I need 13 inches though

that sounds bad

Someone posted a 1" spacer earlier so that with the long Ace M4 stock would put you close to 13.5"

Attachments

• Ace_Long.jpg
      Ace_Long.jpg
      72 KB · Views: 227

pwoolford

Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Another option is the Law folding adapter with the POF 7 position buffer tube.

Attachments

• POF-7Position_LawFoldingAdapter.jpg
      POF-7Position_LawFoldingAdapter.jpg
      43.7 KB · Views: 236

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The Law folding stock adapter will add about 1" to the OAL. Pretty expensive 1" though.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/buttstocks/ar-15-m16-gen3-m-folding-stock-adapter-prod71553.aspx

So I had a closer look at this, and I'm not sure about it as something I'd want on my rifles.

Law claims that it adds 1.3" to the length of pull. So "theoretically," this adapter plus a VLTOR (or maybe POF, I don't know their stuff) 7 position buffer tube would add a total of 2.05" to the length of a rifle. (I believe that the VLTOR tube is about 0.75" longer than a standard tube - standard ones are 7.25", the VLTOR one is 8".) That would be enough to make an SBR with an 8.5" barrel equivalent in OAL to a "standard" SBR with a 10.5" barrel, which would make it MD legal.

However... the idea that I've now got something on my rifle that, if unlatched by accident when I pull the trigger, will cause the BCG to shoot in the direction of my face makes me uneasy. I'm also not totally sure about how it attaches to the rear of the lower - it looks like you screw in an adapter nut which is held in place by a set screw. That seems to me like it's just waiting for something to back out and get loose. There's a good Brownell's video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9lpk5xIrFA

The more I look at all of this, the more I get convinced that a buttpad spacer or extension, combined with the 7 position A5 tube, is the way to go. It's the least intrusive (as far as the critical operating parts of the rifle go) way to add length to make an 8.5" barrel legal.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, just looked online.

The A1/A2 buffer tube is 9 5/8"

Carbine buffer tube is 7 5/8" for mil spec.

So if you could mount the part that provided the holes to lock the butt stock to the tube, to a rifle buffer tube, it would be long enough to pass a 8.5" barrel.

Hmmmmmm. :)

screamingeagle

Mar 7, 2010
    I have 8.5 set up with the vltor 7 position stock and Mag Paul als stock and it's just about there.

All you really need to do to make sure is drill another hole in the buffer tube about 2/4 of a inch past the last hole ( position7) right? That would easily make it past 29 inches.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I have 8.5 set up with the vltor 7 position stock and Mag Paul als stock and it's just about there.

I don't suppose I could ask you to measure it? What I'd really be interested in would be from the muzzle of the barrel, without any muzzle device, to the end of the bare tube, as well as with the stock fully extended.

The measurement on the bare tube would allow us to figure out how much length the various different favorite stocks we all have would add.

All you really need to do to make sure is drill another hole in the buffer tube about 2/4 of a inch past the last hole ( position7) right? That would easily make it past 29 inches.

Maybe. It doesn't look to me like there is a ton of extra space left to add another hole. Maybe, though, especially since it's really only needed for measurement purposes. You'd have to be huge to run a stock that long.

Attachments

• a56.jpg
      a56.jpg
      50.5 KB · Views: 150
    Last edited:

screamingeagle

Mar 7, 2010
    I don't suppose I could ask you to measure it? What I'd really be interested in would be from the muzzle of the barrel, without any muzzle device, to the end of the bare tube, as well as with the stock fully extended.

The measurement on the bare tube would allow us to figure out how much length the various different favorite stocks we all have would add.

Maybe. It doesn't look to me like there is a ton of extra space left to add another hole. Maybe, though, especially since it's really only needed for measurement purposes. You'd have to be huge to run a stock that long.

a56.jpg

I will do that when I get home for you, I also put the thickest butt pad on and I think I got to 29 1/8

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I will do that when I get home for you, I also put the thickest butt pad on and I think I got to 29 1/8

That would really kick ass (both you offering to do the measurement and if it got over 29").

That's one nice thing about the Magpul stocks - they have different thicknesses of buttpads that you can buy. I am partial to the VLTOR stocks, and they only have the one that comes on it when you buy. You can buy replacement ones though, and I'm wondering if you could just add a second one on top of the first, or modify one or something. I also wonder about the lengths of the different stocks themselves. I've seen people say that the eMod is longer than the ACS, but I've never used an ACS.

I have some measuring to do also...

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Hawkeye & pwoolford check you pm's There is a problem with posts 66 & 67 creating a popup window for the rest of us.

pwoolford

Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I'm getting the popup too. I think it is an image in Hawkeye's post that isn't displaying. I must have quoted his post with the image.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I'm getting the popup too. I think it is an image in Hawkeye's post that isn't displaying. I must have quoted his post with the image.

Yeah, that's my fault. I hotlinked an image from militarymorons.com and forgot that he puts authentication in front of his images to stop people from doing exactly that.

I'll re-post the image as an attachment.

screamingeagle

Mar 7, 2010
    Yeah, that's my fault. I hotlinked an image from militarymorons.com and forgot that he puts authentication in front of his images to stop people from doing exactly that.

I'll re-post the image as an attachment.

Hey I put the pics and measurements on the other SBR thread you started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom