• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    What suggestions for a Vermin rifle for a fairly new shooter? What optics would you suggestion?

This isn't for me but I'm going to pass along these suggestions to a family member who has a 5 acre farm who's animals are getting harassed by vermin. Other than my AR15 I know next to nothing about rifles so I couldn't make a suggestion. Range is about 1-200 yards max. Ease of use, safety and accuracy are most important.

Would an air soft gun cut it for that range? If so, what make and model do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    How big is this vermin?

If you want to go air rifle, Think Gamo whisper, 1200 FPS.

Are there any concerns about hitting the farm animals, get a 12 gauge.

If the vermin is about the size of a coyote, then 270 winchester or larger depending on the size.

If the vermin only comes out at night, maybe a night scope is in order. If thats too expensive then a good flashlight with an illuminated scope, as cheaper alternative.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    helped take care of groundhogs on a farm north of taneytown years ago-used a t/c contender 10" bull in 223 or the 10" bull in 357 max.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    any of the .22 cal centerfire rounds would be adequate out to 200 yards for groundhogs and coyotes. Check out the Remington VTR's. They seem to be decent for the price. And they come with optics too.

-Z

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I have a Marlin Model 25MN in .22 Magnum.....from what I've read, it'll do the trick and is about as accurate as anything can get. Cheap, too!

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    What suggestions for a Vermin rifle for a fairly new shooter? What optics would you suggestion?

Would an air soft gun cut it for that range? If so, what make and model do you suggest?

Hm, considering air rifles you should understand that they can be used for pest control but are tricky to use that way. Since they are firing pellets rather than real bullets and at lower velocities you have to take quite a bullet drop and wind drift in account - not easy to use for a beginner even if you can take out most small varmints within 70 yards. For further explanation look up "field target" on google to give you a good overview on airgun ballistics. If they really decide to go down that way, I will be more than glad to offer advice. Nonetheless if technically possible I would recommend against any air rifle for beginners. It takes too long to become a crack shooter with it to really make a dent in the varmint population.

What I would suggest is dependant on what pests you have. Most small stuff could probably be dispatched by a .22 or .17 rimfire rifle inside a 150 yard range. For bigger pests rather one of the .20 centerfire rifles would be fine like something chambered in .223 or something in .22-250. Bolt-action guns might be advantageous to novices although reliable semi-autos might be beneficiary if it comes to rapid second shots......

If you tell us what kind of pests your friend wants to get rid of, many people here might give you more accurate advice with the number of opinions being equal to larger than the number of posts.

Another way to get rid of many pests in one weekend and to get to see a bunch of rifles is to post the location and suitable hunting times here on the forum. And no, by that I do not wish to call anyone here a happy shooter taking every opportunity there is :innocent0

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Air Soft ,nope . As mentioned above unless they want to make an avocation on purpose of long range air rifles, move straight to rimfires. For more power / distance this sounds like a textbook application for a .22 Hornet . Alas , .223s have largely taken over this niche due to greater availablity of rifles and ammo.

284 Colton Mag

Dec 16, 2009
    Falling Waters, WV
    Vermin around the house/neighborhood? 300 whisper subsonic
    Vermin around the farm? 22mag or any 22 center fire
    Vermin on the hill way over there? 243 or 25-06

To drive out the vermin trying to take over the Motherland? 7.62x54R

Optics depend on your budget and intended targets/distances

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Thank you all for your feedback. I forgot to ask my family member what kind of vermin they are dealing with. They have several mini ponies and I think something is either harassing the horses or getting into their food.

I found this on gunbroker.com

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=151005540

This is probably related to my question in my other thread about night vision restrictions. Both questions were asked by this person. The husband shot rifles while he was in the service back in the '70s but not much since. I'll try to get more detail and come back with a better question. Thanks again!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    CZ 527, great little varmint gun. It will flat out kill any little critter out to 200 yards. If the price is a concern, I think you might consider something like a Ruger 10/22. If the varmints are fairly small and at sub 200 yards, the little ruger would do a fine job, although I would really not want to use it for much over 100 yards. .17 HMR looks like it would be a great little varmint killer, but I have not played with one.

Mark

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    my savage 93g in .22 wmr shoots accurately out to 150...i would not be scared to smack a coyote with it at that range

brettwp

Dec 22, 2009
    North East, MD
    If your talking about a 5 acre farm, that means that you want to be very careful about throwing lead around. Not sure how populated your area is with people and animals. Although effective, I would rule out rounds, such as the .223 and up. If a 22LR ammo won’t do the job, perhaps the 22Mags or even 22 hornet might be the way to go.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I would say 20-24" Flat top AR with a decent 3-9 scope, and a 22lr conversion kit.

With this any coyote sized or smaller varmint or predator can be ethically taken within 200 yards without a problem, assuming you have a proper backstop, and are using fragmenting varmint rounds, you have little chance of a shot going off of the property. If there are smaller woodchuck sized varmints close to the livestock, and within 50 yards or so, then the 22 kit would be ideal. With an AR and 22 conversion you can handle most any varmint situation you are likely to encounter on a farm. While a 22lr can make shots at 100+ yards, it has little power at that range, and can injure small game without killing it, a 22 mag or 17HMR can reach out to that range and still have enough to kill a chuck relatively easily, with mst anything centerfire, there is no question out to 400+ yards.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

This isn't for me but I'm going to pass along these suggestions to a family member who has a 5 acre farm who's animals are getting harassed by vermin. Other than my AR15 I know next to nothing about rifles so I couldn't make a suggestion. Range is about 1-200 yards max. Ease of use, safety and accuracy are most important.

Thanks in advance.

Now that I think about it, the AR is actually an excellent platform since you can run multiple uppers. One that has not been discussed would be the 5.7x28 AR-57 uppers. I must admit, this is not a super high power round but would be an excellent varmint round for shorter ranges. They come in 16 inch, 11 inch, and 6 inch varieties with available suppressors and subsonic ammo. It's plenty accurate, low recoil, and high capacity allowing you to followup quickly.

I don't like the 5.7 round much, but I can see it being a really great small varmint round, especially with the suppressed sub-sonic ammo at close range. Seems to offer a fair amount of versatility.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom