• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patriot1776

Dec 13, 2018
    I'm brand new to this forum, read through several threads and hoping for a little advise. I've got my HPRB hearing on Feb 5 to remove restrictions. Any points that you guys have heard that have consistently received a favorable response from the HPRB in removing those restrictions?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Welcome!

There are some recurring themes, but the best way to frame it for the board will depend a bit on what your G&S was when you got the permit. Without going into lotsa details, maybe you can describe your situation in broad strokes?

Patriot1776

Dec 13, 2018
    My restrictions are limited to "only while conducting business of..." however, my role includes that of a public figure (as the leader of a significant non-profit organization in my area) and am always on call (including carrying a business cell phone), along with a broad perception in the region where I live and work that I have access to and/ or may be carrying money or some other for of assistance. Additionally, I work unpredictable hours, often shift between personal and work related activity throughout the day. Finally, in my public role, people do not perceive me as "not conducting business" regardless of whether I'm in a personal or "official" capacity within the non-profit that I lead.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Well then I think you've hit on the central theme. You've already established your G&S and they blessed it with a permit. Your main theme now is: recent changes to the penalty for being outside your restrictions are dire, and would ruin your professional career and reputation, to say nothing of the legal jeopardy and consequences. Thus you are keenly interested in never having an interaction with any Maryland LEO that might interpret any given moment as being outside your restrictions - and it has proven impossible to get a consistent answer from even one institution (the MSP!), let alone the dozens of others with authority in the state, as to when and how all of that will be interpreted under any given circumstance. Because your personal and professional lives are completely intermingled and a key part of your career is being "on" whenever you're out and about (because the nature of what you do is opportunistic and can involve unpredictable needs to change what you're doing from personal to work on the fly without heading home first), you have a genuine concern about how a given officer might interpret one moment over the next.

I wouldn't bring up the "work phone" thing unless the board starts getting into the weeds with you or the MSP for examples of how it could be clear that you're always on, even when you're not planning to be. You've already established G&S, and now you just need to play the "genuine concern that my unpredictable, ad-hoc work/personal mix at all hours and under all circumstances could result in life-altering legal consequences based on a given LEO's subjective interpretation of my restrictions." Done.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    And, if at all possible, come to 100 Community Place in Crownsville at 6:00 PM on Tuesday, 18 Dec. The HPRB hearings are the 1st & 3rd Tuesday of the month, but not on New Years Day. You will learn exactly how to do it, and probably also a bit about how not to do it.

CZ Peasy

Jun 29, 2012
    Yeah, what ShafTed said. I attended the HPRB meeting two weeks before my actual hearing and learned all I needed on how to present my case and what not to do. Sitting through several cases was very informative and invaluable to understanding how the process works. MSI also had some helpful tips. I had my restrictions lifted. I was pleasantly surprised at how sympathetic the board was to our constitutional rights (at least within the limits of MD law).

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Excellent! Never let it be said that Crownsville doesn't have anything going for it except that OK gas station. They also have that mediocre dinner theater at 100 Community Place. The main event is pretty lame, but they have a great stand-up comic between acts.

Thanks, Stoveman, for the play by play!

Here is the theme song
    https://youtu.be/fLegSgWi0cI

Shooter70

Jul 17, 2018
    Feedback from informal review

Yeah, what ShafTed said. I attended the HPRB meeting two weeks before my actual hearing and learned all I needed on how to present my case and what not to do. Sitting through several cases was very informative and invaluable to understanding how the process works. MSI also had some helpful tips. I had my restrictions lifted. I was pleasantly surprised at how sympathetic the board was to our constitutional rights (at least within the limits of MD law).

How long did it take to get a decision from the informal review? I had mine Nov 13th, and have heard nothing yet. No Board hearing yet scheduled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom