Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > The Depot
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2018, 12:12 PM #1
johnsopi johnsopi is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 22
johnsopi johnsopi is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 22
Walmart internet won't concects to gun sites

Getting tires changed at Walmart try to log into Maryland Shooters and glocktalk the internet says prohibited websites
johnsopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 12:15 PM #2
Occam Occam is offline
Recovering Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Montgomery County
Posts: 1,793
Occam Occam is offline
Recovering Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Montgomery County
Posts: 1,793
"The internet" doesn't say that, Wal-Mart's chosen firewall/proxy says that. Good argument for having a VPN service available to you. Get on a local WiFi offering, connect to your VPN, and then all traffic is encrypted, and the WiFi provider's traffic-sniffing tools are blind to what domain names your browser resolves, and blind to the traffic between that site and your device.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 12:22 PM #3
Docster's Avatar
Docster Docster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Perry Hall, MD
Posts: 7,294
Images: 12
Docster Docster is offline
Senior Member
Docster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Perry Hall, MD
Posts: 7,294
Images: 12
VPNs are good for many reasons, this is just one.
__________________
SB, PA-C Emeritus
LtCol (Ret) USAF
Proud Member, Oathkeepers
Proud Patriot Guard Rider
Charter Member, JPFO
Occasional Asshole
Docster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 12:29 PM #4
K31's Avatar
K31 K31 is offline
What fresh hell is this?
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: AA county
Posts: 25,127
Images: 14
K31 K31 is offline
What fresh hell is this?
K31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: AA county
Posts: 25,127
Images: 14
Most corporate-type websites buy canned content filtering. Blame the aholes who write/sell this stuff and then include firearm sites under "violence".

Oh wait, I forgot guns are inherently and autonomously violent, hence the term "gun violence".
__________________
Giving "respectful, civil gun owners a bad name" since January 15th, 2006.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 12:39 PM #5
vetogunban's Avatar
vetogunban vetogunban is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brooklyn Park
Posts: 167
vetogunban vetogunban is offline
Member
vetogunban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brooklyn Park
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam View Post
"The internet" doesn't say that, Wal-Mart's chosen firewall/proxy says that. Good argument for having a VPN service available to you. Get on a local WiFi offering, connect to your VPN, and then all traffic is encrypted, and the WiFi provider's traffic-sniffing tools are blind to what domain names your browser resolves, and blind to the traffic between that site and your device.
Recommendations for VPNs and setting one up on your phone and laptop?
__________________
"laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one."

Cesare Beccaria's Essay on Crimes and Punishments, 1809
vetogunban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 12:56 PM #6
Trekker's Avatar
Trekker Trekker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Harford County
Posts: 514
Trekker Trekker is offline
Member
Trekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Harford County
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsopi View Post
Getting tires changed at Walmart try to log into Maryland Shooters and glocktalk the internet says prohibited websites
I have noted this too at the Abindgon YMCA.

The most extreme I have seen was at the Fallston public library, which blocked any shooting forum, retail sites even if only for ancillary supplies (reloading components, scopes, etc.), and news sites (including the NRA webpage). Curiously, the Bel Air and Abingdon libraries do not appear as restricted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetogunban View Post
Recommendations for VPNs and setting one up on your phone and laptop?
+1 on this request
__________________
Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid,
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
Good! Said the baron, while sitting in his hall,
But Iron, Cold Iron, is master of them all." - Kipling

NRA Life Member
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 01:08 PM #7
Boom Boom's Avatar
Boom Boom Boom Boom is offline
Hold my beer. Watch this.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PRMD
Posts: 16,103
Boom Boom Boom Boom is offline
Hold my beer. Watch this.
Boom Boom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PRMD
Posts: 16,103
NordVPN is a good place to start.
__________________
NRA Benefactor, SAF Patron, GOA/JPFO/MSRPA/IWLA Life
Boom Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 01:09 PM #8
Occam Occam is offline
Recovering Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Montgomery County
Posts: 1,793
Occam Occam is offline
Recovering Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Montgomery County
Posts: 1,793
I'll paraphrase myself from a PM to someone else who asked about this:

VPN's are a loaded subject! Basically, somebody who provides a VPN service needs to make it available to you, and then you train your phone to know where it us and how to sign into it. Once you've done that, you can subsequently connect to that virtual private network later with just a single tap on the phone.

So, the trick is ... whose VPN service do you use? For some people, it's provided by their work (because the office doesn't want you interacting with their systems or your email, etc, over a possibly suspect WiFi network at some coffee shop somewhere). Or, you might have a fancy enough router or other device on your home network that you can use it as a VPN provider (advances user stuff, only!).

Or (and this is the most common scenario), you're paying a small fee to a third party VPN service so that you have one available when you want to use it (at stores, at restaurants, at hotels, at friends' houses, or even when you want to hide your browsing from your phone's carrier - Verizon, etc). There are many, many VPN services out there, with a variety of plans/costs/features. If you're not a high-data-use business road warrior, you can get away pretty cheap.

One popular service is NordVPN (nordvpn.com). If you commit to two years, you'll spend $79 once, and again two years later. That gets you all the VPN service you might need for typical life in the wild, for under $4 a month. If you only want a VPN once in a while, because you know you'll be going on a trip into hostile WiFi territory, you can also just buy a month's service when you need it, for $11 or so, then let it go away until you need it again.

There are also some free options out there, but they tend to come with strings attached (advertising, etc or worse). Don't fall for it. There is no free lunch, and some of those "free" services are truly toxic and invasive, or dreadfully slow.

Once you do choose to make use of a VPN service, that provider will offer up some step-by-step instructions on how to train your device to use it. Only takes a few moments - involves some address info for their network, a password, etc. No big deal even for non-techies to set up.

Note that once you have a VPN service, you can also tell your laptop or other computer/device how to use it. So even if you're plugging into the wired network at a hotel, you can keep your traffic private and secured.

Since I personally own and run a secure web hosting operation, I can use my own infrastructure for the same VPN needs that I offer to my customers. But that's usually in the context of a larger engagement working on their web sites or other applications. I'd have a hard time competing with a company like NordVPN at the price they offer. They're clearly banking on the fact that most of their subscribers use their VPN only on rare occasions, so it all comes out in the wash, financially. Most of my clients are connected to my systems by VPN 24x7, so the math is very different. I've considered doing the math and coming up with an MDS industry partner offering, but would have to do a little market research here, first. Most folks are going to be just fine with a consumer-oriented service like NordVPN.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 01:26 PM #9
newmuzzleloader's Avatar
newmuzzleloader newmuzzleloader is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: joppa
Posts: 2,168
newmuzzleloader newmuzzleloader is offline
Senior Member
newmuzzleloader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: joppa
Posts: 2,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
I have noted this too at the Abindgon YMCA.

The most extreme I have seen was at the Fallston public library, which blocked any shooting forum, retail sites even if only for ancillary supplies (reloading components, scopes, etc.), and news sites (including the NRA webpage). Curiously, the Bel Air and Abingdon libraries do not appear as restricted.



+1 on this request
At fallston it depends on which computers you are sitting at. The ones with theirbacks to the kids section are locked out of "adult"sites. The other ones are not. At least it used to be that way.
newmuzzleloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 02:47 PM #10
vetogunban's Avatar
vetogunban vetogunban is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brooklyn Park
Posts: 167
vetogunban vetogunban is offline
Member
vetogunban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Brooklyn Park
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
NordVPN is a good place to start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam View Post
I'll paraphrase myself from a PM to someone else who asked about this:

VPN's are a loaded subject! Basically, somebody who provides a VPN service needs to make it available to you, and then you train your phone to know where it us and how to sign into it. Once you've done that, you can subsequently connect to that virtual private network later with just a single tap on the phone.

So, the trick is ... whose VPN service do you use? For some people, it's provided by their work (because the office doesn't want you interacting with their systems or your email, etc, over a possibly suspect WiFi network at some coffee shop somewhere). Or, you might have a fancy enough router or other device on your home network that you can use it as a VPN provider (advances user stuff, only!).

Or (and this is the most common scenario), you're paying a small fee to a third party VPN service so that you have one available when you want to use it (at stores, at restaurants, at hotels, at friends' houses, or even when you want to hide your browsing from your phone's carrier - Verizon, etc). There are many, many VPN services out there, with a variety of plans/costs/features. If you're not a high-data-use business road warrior, you can get away pretty cheap.

One popular service is NordVPN (nordvpn.com). If you commit to two years, you'll spend $79 once, and again two years later. That gets you all the VPN service you might need for typical life in the wild, for under $4 a month. If you only want a VPN once in a while, because you know you'll be going on a trip into hostile WiFi territory, you can also just buy a month's service when you need it, for $11 or so, then let it go away until you need it again.

There are also some free options out there, but they tend to come with strings attached (advertising, etc or worse). Don't fall for it. There is no free lunch, and some of those "free" services are truly toxic and invasive, or dreadfully slow.

Once you do choose to make use of a VPN service, that provider will offer up some step-by-step instructions on how to train your device to use it. Only takes a few moments - involves some address info for their network, a password, etc. No big deal even for non-techies to set up.

Note that once you have a VPN service, you can also tell your laptop or other computer/device how to use it. So even if you're plugging into the wired network at a hotel, you can keep your traffic private and secured.

Since I personally own and run a secure web hosting operation, I can use my own infrastructure for the same VPN needs that I offer to my customers. But that's usually in the context of a larger engagement working on their web sites or other applications. I'd have a hard time competing with a company like NordVPN at the price they offer. They're clearly banking on the fact that most of their subscribers use their VPN only on rare occasions, so it all comes out in the wash, financially. Most of my clients are connected to my systems by VPN 24x7, so the math is very different. I've considered doing the math and coming up with an MDS industry partner offering, but would have to do a little market research here, first. Most folks are going to be just fine with a consumer-oriented service like NordVPN.
Thank you for the information, I will looking into this service. Even more so if FW vendors are now including firearm related sites under the general don't allow violence category.
__________________
"laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one."

Cesare Beccaria's Essay on Crimes and Punishments, 1809
vetogunban is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > The Depot


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2018, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service