Is There a Down Side to Sharing the Same BCG For Your 5.56 and 300 Black Uppers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    In this scenario, I am sharing the same pre-ban lower between a 5.56 upper and a 300 Black upper. So one could save a few bucks by sharing an existing BCG between the two. Is there any disadvantage doing so in terms of uneven wear or something like that?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    In this scenario, I am sharing the same pre-ban lower between a 5.56 upper and a 300 Black upper. So one could save a few bucks by sharing an existing BCG between the two. Is there any disadvantage doing so in terms of uneven wear or something like that?

Uneven/accelerated wear on the bolt lugs, due to differences in how the barrel is mounted to the upper (lapped or not), in addition to the same being true with the gas tube/key (alignment issues).

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If you have a properly built upper as DA mentioned, you can swap the entire BCG between New Uppers.

You need to check headspace with each upper you plan to use and you need to check headspace from time to time if you shoot them often as headspace can open up (wear) faster when the bolt is going from upper to upper.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If you have a properly built upper as DA mentioned, you can swap the entire BCG between New Uppers.

You need to check headspace with each upper you plan to use and you need to check headspace from time to time if you shoot them often as headspace can open up (wear) faster when the bolt is going from upper to upper.
    See, I was actually paying attention in class! :D

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I would recommend just matching bolts to barrels for any locked breach gun. They are so cheap, there really isn't a good deal not to.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I'm still waiting on my BCG. I already have the milk, cookies, and bacon on hand.
    Y’all are fully indoctrinated I can see.

You hear “everybody gets BCGs” and ya line up waiting for yours...

I’ve got a book...”Five acres to Freedom”. It’s about how to grow your own and the hard work required.

...or ya can continue to sit and wait.

Livingthedream

Feb 20, 2017
    Y’all are fully indoctrinated I can see.

You hear “everybody gets BCGs” and ya line up waiting for yours...

I’ve got a book...”Five acres to Freedom”. It’s about how to grow your own and the hard work required.

...or ya can continue to sit and wait.

So does this mean we're not getting bcgs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom