• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DENWA

May 5, 2008
    At the Range Yesterday I was trying to "practice" a little and basically use the BH ammo for my match reloads.

(The Long story is I have about 40-50 pcs of EVERY different brass maker out there but not enough of a single type to make it through a match!)

I had my chronograph set up just to see the SD's of this ammo (BTW not too bad, but could be better)

2 rounds caught my eye in the box. They did not have the reddish sealant that was on all the other primers. The sealant and primers themselves had a bluish color.

THEY WERE HOT! Both had velocities in the 2800++ fps. the recoil and report were noticeable and the brass was split in more than on place on the neck all the way to the shoulder. Primers were flattened more than normal but not horribly bad. I tried to attach a picture of the case necks.

Anyone had this Happen with Black hills?

BTW this is 308 168gr HPBT ammo.

Attachments

• P1010899.JPG
      P1010899.JPG
      86.5 KB · Views: 359

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Blue Box or Red Box?

Since Blue Box is remanuf. I would think that they might have some inconsistencies.

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    RED Box.

Notice the one second from left doesn't have that reddish coating on it.

I wish they had an email over at BH so i could send them the pictures.

Attachments

• P1010901.JPG
      P1010901.JPG
      75 KB · Views: 330

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    You need to contact them. BH is a stand up company, they'll want to know what you saw.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I've shot a bunch of Black Hills Match and never had anything like that happen before. I have had some that didn't have the red in them but they shot just fine. I have some brass that I reloaded as well and no problems, I would definitely send an email and show them those pics.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I know police counter-snipers that train with Black Hills match, it's that good.

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    Spoke with Black Hills today.

I told them what happened and they were very surprised.

I sent them the pictures and the two split brass cases in the mail.

They said they'd get back with me when they discovered the issue.

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    UPDATE!!

Spoke with Black Hills today.

I told them what happened and they were very surprised.

I sent them the pictures and the two split brass cases in the mail.

They said they'd get back with me when they discovered the issue.

Today I finally got a hold of the folks at BHA. After sending them cases (overnight express mail) and emails with pictures and asking for receipt confirmation etc etc., I have to say communication from Carl was Poor at best.:tdown:

When I finally got him on the phone, he told me he hadn't gotten back with me because he lost the brass I sent, but he found it while we were on the phone!

Here is what they found....

Nothing.

In total after looking at all the cases I'd found a total of 3 split cases necks and 4 flat primers.

Despite high velocities flat primers and split case necks they didn't find (or want to share) anything wrong.:mad54:

They did tell me they use REGULAR Winchester brass and primers already together and that red sealant is mandated by Winchester. (Nothing Special)

They also said they load to a velocity not a certain charge weight, to limit variations in lot codes of powder.( didn't say what powder they used)

Their ammo is good, not great, but better than most others out there.

Overall I'm disappointed in their customer service.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    I wonder, not knowing much about this, if it could APPEAR that you reloaded their stuff and had the issue and tried to blame it on them? Naturally I don't believe for a second that that's what happened, but just playing DA. Sorry if you incurred any damage...always heard good things about BH and wished they made stuff in calibers I have.

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    No, he even remarked the brass shown no signs of scratches from reloading dies.

I guess I'm just a little let down they didn't put more effort into investigating the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom