• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    That's not my problem. Not my place. I was just putting it out there if someone was looking.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    I wrote a lengthy reply, essentially saying "You're crazy".

But then, I remembered that I do in fact have an Urban Geography degree, and was trained in GIS.

I took a look at comparable properties in the area, and there are none. That means supply is low. Low supply can drive higher prices depending if any meaningful demand exists. From AGC, Columbia MD is not that far, just down Marriottsville Road to 70. Heck I commute to Columbia and I am on the Sykesville/Marriotsville boarder. Owings Mills is not that far and Eldersburg isn't out of the commuting question either. It is not inconceivable that some demand could exist for this property. I think it still has to be the right person, as it is attached to another dwelling, and basically out in the middle of nowhere.

My guess is, given enough time or the right person, that price isn't out of the question, especially with utilities included.

It's close enough you can hear the shots if your outside.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    But it can be a huge problem for the owner and I was hoping one of the legal eagles would chime in with proceedings............ (that's how it works here)

A squatter isn't a hard thing to get rid of. It is the renters that know how to play the game that might take 3+ months to get rid of. If somebody does not pay the rent the first month, you can file a Complaint in District Court to regain entry onto the premises. After you obtain that, you schedule an eviction with the Sheriff's department. Now, the tenant has the right to "redeem" the premises by paying the rent in certified funds or money order, up to the day of the eviction. The tenant can "redeem" the property twice within a 12 month period. Now, on the 3rd failure to pay rent, the landlord has the option to not accept redemption and to follow through with the eviction.

Squatters are only a problem when the landlord does not know what to do or have the funds for an attorney.

Of course, tenants that do not pay rent suck and reduce the ROI on the investment property, but that is another ball of wax entirely.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    A squatter isn't a hard thing to get rid of. It is the renters that know how to play the game that might take 3+ months to get rid of. If somebody does not pay the rent the first month, you can file a Complaint in District Court to regain entry onto the premises. After you obtain that, you schedule an eviction with the Sheriff's department. Now, the tenant has the right to "redeem" the premises by paying the rent in certified funds or money order, up to the day of the eviction. The tenant can "redeem" the property twice within a 12 month period. Now, on the 3rd failure to pay rent, the landlord has the option to not accept redemption and to follow through with the eviction.

Squatters are only a problem when the landlord does not know what to do or have the funds for an attorney.

Of course, tenants that do not pay rent suck and reduce the ROI on the investment property, but that is another ball of wax entirely.

Thank you Fabulous Fabs, that's what I wanted to know. :thumbsup: Seems like a LOT of horror stories.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Thank you Fabulous Fabs, that's what I wanted to know. :thumbsup: Seems like a LOT of horror stories.

The horror stories are usually from landlords that are wringing their hands trying to figure out what they should do with the tenant that is 3 months behind on their rent. They don't want to have to find a new tenant, so they just pray that the current tenant will eventually pay them. Yeah, from what I have seen, that never happens and trying to get a money judgment against them after you evict them is tough. Service for an eviction can be accomplished by the sheriff posting it on the door. However, service for a money judgment has to be done in person AND then the tenant/ex-tenant has to have a job where you can garnish wages or some assets that you can levy against.

When I become a landlord, I will file the court papers as soon as they are ten (10) days late on their rent. That will also let them know that I am not playing games. Of course, this is a lot easier for me to do since I know exactly what needs to be done and where the courthouse is. I'd rather go through an eviction versus 6 months of no rent and being taken advantage of by a freeloader.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    But it can be a huge problem for the owner and I was hoping one of the legal eagles would chime in with proceedings............ (that's how it works here)

I wasn't trying to be brash, just simply stating that its wasn't my place or potential problem tenant. Land owner has other rental properties so he is a where of the dangers.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    That's not a bad deal, especially if you like some solitude. If it was 200-300 more sf myself and others I know would have been int. No taxes, repairs or utilities would be nice. Guess I should ask if it has W/D in case I run into anyone int.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    That's not a bad deal, especially if you like some solitude. If it was 200-300 more sf myself and others I know would have been int. No taxes, repairs or utilities would be nice. Guess I should ask if it has W/D in case I run into anyone int.

Yes, shared washer and dryer

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom